Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Knowing Vs. Believing It's Great to Exist

R' Noach Weinberg, z"tzl, in his 48 ways lectures proved that we are woefully decadent.  He would ask, "What's the opposite of pain?"  The answer was invariably, "Pleasure!"  "Wrong," he would say, "The opposite of pain is comfort.  You are all saying your greatest pleasure is to be comfortable.  That's decadent."  His demonstration that pain and pleasure are not opposites?  Every parent knows that his greatest source of pain and pleasure is one and the same: junior(s).

For two and one half years, Chazal (Eiruvin 13b) tells us, the debate raged: no'ach lo l'adam sh'nivra o sh'lo nivrah?  This statement is usually mistranslated to say something ludicrous; so I shan't even repeat it.  In any question that involves a side of "had not been created", one must be wary that much bigger things are going on here than meet the eye.  Another problem is the word "no'ach".  In this context, it means something like "more comfortable", or "less distressing".  So the debate was something like whether it would have been more comfortable/less distressing not to have been created.  Hmm... seems like a funny question; why should I care whether being created was comfortable or distressing?  There is no goal to be comfortable or less stressed.  The goal is simple to earn one's way to olam ha'bah.

Their conclusion -- "no'ach sh'lo nivrah" --  doesn't seem to help clarify why Chazal spent two and one half years of their precious time discussing this.  Wait!  They had an add on: now that you have been created, sort out your bad from good (m'fashfesh) actions; other says, improve the quality (m'mashmesh) your actions.  Well... that certainly clears things up now, doesn't it?  Uh... no, not really.

R' Yisrael Salanter (as explained by Michtav mei'Eliyahu) explains that everyone knows intellectually/in principle that it is a tremendous give of infinite good that we we created.  The question on the table was whether one can come to a concrete belief and appreciation of that reality, or is it always going to have to be just taken on faith?  Moreover, if I can't make that real to myself, how do I avoid total despair at my guaranteed inability to reach the ultimate goal of perfection?

Chazal took a vote and concluded that "no'ach lo sh'lo nivrah"; you are never going to be able to move beyond that final, blind leap of faith that it really, really is all good.  How do you avoid despair?  Look at your actions.  When you are first starting, you are tossing out a lot of bad... take pride in that!  When you have reached a point where you feel good about your actions, look at them and improve them... and take more pride in that.  Repeat.

You can't reach perfection on your own.  You don't need to.  The One Who gave you existence loves you and will give you all the help you need.  You do your part; He'll do His.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Using a Mitzvah Object for Non-Mitzvah Purposes

As I am -- Baruch HaShem -- getting older, I am more cognizant of the fact that I'd like to stay as healthy as possible right up the moment I leave this world.  Stuff hurting is not the problem (I am told there is an old Russian saying that once you are 40, if you wake up and nothing hurts -- you're dead), stuff not working, however, is a problem.  To that end, for several years now I commute to work by bicycle (weather permitting, 30 minutes on an elliptical machine when weather does not permit).  I recently took up some upper body weight training.  Not because I want to be governor of California, just simply to slow down loss of bone mass and extend my body's healthy span.  Simple hishtadlus.  I have an 18 month old grandson who is just the right weight for arm curls (yes... I am that weak), so I do about 10 reps when I greet him at night.  He laughs, I get my exercise; all good.  (Main problem is explaining to the older ones why zeidy can't give them the same "…

Thought for the Day: Thanking HaShem Each and Every Day for Solid Land Near Water

Each and every morning, a Jew is supposed to view himself as a new/renewed creation, ready for a new day of building his eternal self through Torah and mitzvos.  We begin the day with 16 brachos to praise/thank/acknowledge HaShem for giving us all the tools we need to succeed.  We have a body, soul, and intellect.  We have vision, mobility, and protection from the elements.  Among those brachos, we have one that perhaps seems a bit out of place: רוקע הארץ על המים/Who spreads out the land on/over the water.  After all, it's nice to have a dry place to walk, but does that compare to the gratitude I have for a working body and vision?  As it turns out, I should; as explained by the R' Rajchenbach, rosh kollel of Kollel Zichron Eliyahu (aka, Peterson Park Kollel).  Your best bet is to listen to the shiur; very distant second is to continue, which I hope will whet your appetite for the real thing.

First... since we have dry land, I don't have to slog to work through even a foot…

Thought for the Day: Hydroponically Grown Humans... I Feel Sick

I am quite openly not at all objective about abortion in particular and the treatment of human embryos and fetuses in general.  I am, after all, the survivor of a failed abortion attempt.  Not "thought about it, but couldn't go through with it"; not "made appointment, but then chickened out at the lost moment"; but, "tried a procedure, but was unsuccessful in attempt to abort".  Nonetheless, I try very hard to listen to the liberal arguments (which I also used to chant as part of the general liberal catechism), and am genuinely empathetic to the plight of women who find themselves in that difficult position.

What I heard on NPR this morning, however, has left me feeling physically ill.  You can read about it, if you like, but here's the bottom line:  Scientists in Cambridge have achieved a new record, they fertilized a human ova and then kept it alive in vitro (that is, in a test tube/petri dish in a laboratory) for 14 days.  The scientist involve…