Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: A Deep Dive into T'vila

I said that I don't know how some people got the idea they could use keili that requires t'vila once before toveling (Toveling Keilim on Shabbos).  I didn't mean that I had no inkling of how such a preposterous rumor got started, I just meant that I didn't know with certainty.  Several people commented to me that they knew, and all said basically the same idea.  Still, I wasn't completely convinced till one person told me that Facebook had conducted a survey of 100 people, and that's the answer they all gave.  I didn't even know you could run a survey on Facebook and I was shocked to learn that this chaver of mine even knew that much about Facebook.

Still and all... good enough proof for me.  So know I know; it is a misconception about disposable aluminum pans.  Let's get some facts and debunk this myth.

To require t'vila, an object must be:
  1. A halachic keili.  The term "keili" is very broad.  Of course it includes kitchen utensils, tools, and appliances; but it also includes clothing.  It is something that has a function and can be used multiple times to perform that function; that is, it is not consumed by its usage.  That means, for example, that cloth diapers are keilim, but disposable diapers are not.  Handkerchiefs are keilim; facial tissue (oh for goodness sakes, we both know I mean kleenex) are not.  Paper cups are questionable, which is why you don't want to make kiddush or wash for a bread meal using one.
  2. Made of metal (d'oraisa) or glass (d'rabanan).  Metal is learned from the Torah's description of what was done after Klal Yisrael, b'ezras HaShem, whupped the Midianites (Bamidbar 31:21-24).  Glass is a similar material in that it can melted and reformed, so Chazal decreed that glass keilim require t'vila whenever metal would.  Aluminum is of questionable status in halacha; so an aluminum keili that would require t'vila if it were made of metal or glass should preferably be immersed with something else that definitely requires t'vila.
  3. Used for tzorchei s'uda -- meal necessities.  Of course that includes pots, pans, and utensils.  It also includes serving trays and coffee pots.
  4. Was once (while satisfying above three conditions) owned by a goy, and is now owned by a Jew.
Let's start easy.  I have two glasses that used to be jam jars. They happen to be the perfect size for my morning orange juice (with lots of pulp Mrs. C), and I have never toveled them.  Not because I am an avarian (in this matter, anyway), but because they started their life as disposable packaging for jam.  After the jam was used up, I decided that I would keep them and convert them into juice glasses.  That means that when they started their lives, they satisfied neither (1) (not a keili) nor (3) (not for tzorchei s'uda).  I changed their status, so by the time they satisfied (1) and (3) they were already owned by a Jew; hence  they do not satisfy (4)

How about (so-called) disposable aluminum pans?  If I plan to throw them out after the first use, then they don't satisfy (1) and so I may cook with them, serve from them (we're very informal at home), refrigerate what's left in them, rewarm them, serve them again, refrigerate the leftovers again, warm them again, eat them myself (my wife is not touching anything that's been rewarmed twice), and then finally dispose of them in the blue recycle bin; all without toveling them.  If, however, I plan to wash them out and reuse (disposable my eye!  these things are expensive!)  them for cooking, or additional storage in the fridge, or as serving dishes; then I must tovel them before even the first use.

Just to be absolutely clear: either I never have to tovel them, or I must tovel them before even the first use.

Regarding aluminum pans in my house.  I am a cheapskate and always plan to reuse them.  My  wife is practical and always plans to throw them out.  So I tovel them (lots at one time) with a new shot glass or knife.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc