Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: A Deep Dive into T'vila

I said that I don't know how some people got the idea they could use keili that requires t'vila once before toveling (Toveling Keilim on Shabbos).  I didn't mean that I had no inkling of how such a preposterous rumor got started, I just meant that I didn't know with certainty.  Several people commented to me that they knew, and all said basically the same idea.  Still, I wasn't completely convinced till one person told me that Facebook had conducted a survey of 100 people, and that's the answer they all gave.  I didn't even know you could run a survey on Facebook and I was shocked to learn that this chaver of mine even knew that much about Facebook.

Still and all... good enough proof for me.  So know I know; it is a misconception about disposable aluminum pans.  Let's get some facts and debunk this myth.

To require t'vila, an object must be:
  1. A halachic keili.  The term "keili" is very broad.  Of course it includes kitchen utensils, tools, and appliances; but it also includes clothing.  It is something that has a function and can be used multiple times to perform that function; that is, it is not consumed by its usage.  That means, for example, that cloth diapers are keilim, but disposable diapers are not.  Handkerchiefs are keilim; facial tissue (oh for goodness sakes, we both know I mean kleenex) are not.  Paper cups are questionable, which is why you don't want to make kiddush or wash for a bread meal using one.
  2. Made of metal (d'oraisa) or glass (d'rabanan).  Metal is learned from the Torah's description of what was done after Klal Yisrael, b'ezras HaShem, whupped the Midianites (Bamidbar 31:21-24).  Glass is a similar material in that it can melted and reformed, so Chazal decreed that glass keilim require t'vila whenever metal would.  Aluminum is of questionable status in halacha; so an aluminum keili that would require t'vila if it were made of metal or glass should preferably be immersed with something else that definitely requires t'vila.
  3. Used for tzorchei s'uda -- meal necessities.  Of course that includes pots, pans, and utensils.  It also includes serving trays and coffee pots.
  4. Was once (while satisfying above three conditions) owned by a goy, and is now owned by a Jew.
Let's start easy.  I have two glasses that used to be jam jars. They happen to be the perfect size for my morning orange juice (with lots of pulp Mrs. C), and I have never toveled them.  Not because I am an avarian (in this matter, anyway), but because they started their life as disposable packaging for jam.  After the jam was used up, I decided that I would keep them and convert them into juice glasses.  That means that when they started their lives, they satisfied neither (1) (not a keili) nor (3) (not for tzorchei s'uda).  I changed their status, so by the time they satisfied (1) and (3) they were already owned by a Jew; hence  they do not satisfy (4)

How about (so-called) disposable aluminum pans?  If I plan to throw them out after the first use, then they don't satisfy (1) and so I may cook with them, serve from them (we're very informal at home), refrigerate what's left in them, rewarm them, serve them again, refrigerate the leftovers again, warm them again, eat them myself (my wife is not touching anything that's been rewarmed twice), and then finally dispose of them in the blue recycle bin; all without toveling them.  If, however, I plan to wash them out and reuse (disposable my eye!  these things are expensive!)  them for cooking, or additional storage in the fridge, or as serving dishes; then I must tovel them before even the first use.

Just to be absolutely clear: either I never have to tovel them, or I must tovel them before even the first use.

Regarding aluminum pans in my house.  I am a cheapskate and always plan to reuse them.  My  wife is practical and always plans to throw them out.  So I tovel them (lots at one time) with a new shot glass or knife.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Battling the Evil Inclination on all Fronts

Yom Kippur.  When I was growing up, there were three annual events that marked the Jewish calendar: eating matzos on Passover, lighting candles on Chanuka, and  fasting on Yom Kippur.  Major news organizations around the world report on the "surreal" and "eerie" quiet of the streets in even the most secular neighborhoods of Israel.  Yom Kippur.

As you know, I am observant of Jewish law.  Some have even called me "ultra orthodox" (not in a kind way).  Given that, I have a question.  How likely do you think that I would be tempted to eat on Yom Kippur, that most holy day of the year?  Let's make the scale zero to ten, where zero is "as likely as driving through McDonald's on Shabbos and ordering a Big Mac with extra cheese." and ten is "as likely as breathing regularly".  Take your time.  If you answered "zero"; thank you, but -- sadly and penitently -- no.  The answer is more like nine; I'd like to say lower, but i…

Thought for the Day: Coming Into This World for Torah, Avodah, and Acts of Loving Kindness

This TftD is so self-serving that I should be embarrassed.  But I am not... talking about grandchildren is always off budget.  I have, bli ayin hara, a beautiful new grandson; born at 6:11 PM CDT last Friday night.  The secular (aka -- by me, anyway -- slave) date is October 20, 2017 CE.  The Hebrew (aka Real) date is certainly Rosh Chodesh חשון/Cheshvan and certainly in the year 5778 since Creation.  The date, you ask... good question!

Sundown on Friday night was 6:01 PM CDT, which means he was born either at the end of the last day of תשרי or the beginning of the first day of Cheshvan; a period know as בין השמשות/twilight.  What's the big deal, you ask... I am so glad you asked.  We all deal quite handily with בין השמשות every week and every holiday; we're just stringent.  We start Shabbos and the first day of Yom Tov before בין השמשות; that is, before sundown.  Likewise, we end Shabbos and the first day of Yom Tov after בין השמשות; some 42, 50, 60, or 72 minutes after sundo…

Thought for the Day: Prayer II -- How?

Now that we know that the obligation to pray is nothing more (nor less!) than a divine decree, we are going to also need instructions from heaven on how to implement that decree.  I cannot stress enough how important it is to have instruction from heaven how to implement heavenly decrees.  One only needs to look at the shambles that one modern ism has made of the very important Torah principle of תיקון עולם/improving and fixing the world.  They have taken words out of context and used them to support their own nefarious schemes.  (To the point that Google Translate actually translates -- not transliterates -- תיקון עולם as Tikkun Olam.  Amelia Bedelia would be proud; we are not amused.

The Torah teaches us how to pray in two complementary fashions.  One is the way in which the concept is presented as an obligation, the other is by giving us examples of how to practically implement those instructions.

The obligation is introduced in the second paragraph of "sh'ma" -- וּלְ…