Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: We Are All in This Together -- עם ישראל חי

In case you hadn't heard, there is a war going on between the country of Israel and the terrorist group known as Hamas, may they and their memory be erased. In case you haven't heard, this war has incited people world wide to shout, once again, "kill the Jews." On college campuses in NY, students -- masked students -- run up to Jewish students to shout in their faces: "Hitler was right!"

Please take note that no one could ever declare/chant/yell (in a public forum, at least): "kill the <favorite target>" -- unless that <favorite target> is "Jews".

Have you noticed that Israel is being called an "apartheid" state? I looked that up, just to be sure I understood the charge (from the Cornell Law site) :

Apartheid refers to the implementation and maintenance of a system of legalized racial segregation in which one racial group is deprived of political and civil rights.

Hard to know how that applies to a country whose population is about 20% Arabic (aka Palestinian, as they are they same people in so called occupied territories, they just didn't abandon their homes), has currently 10 members of the Knesset who are Muslim Arabic, and even one supreme court justice -- Khaled Kabub -- who is a Muslim Arab.

What is the take away for all this? I think there are a few takeaways from this. First: None of this makes any sense in a natural world. There is only one possible explanation: HaShem runs the world; down to the most minute details. Second: Yes, HaShem holds us to a higher standard. HaShem has many agents, and the Torah requires us to respond with normal hishtadlus. On the other hand, the Torah also requires us to look into ourselves and address the root cause of the problems that have left us vulnerable. Addressing those issues has nothing to do with the veneer of "nature" in which we live to be able to fulfill the mitzvos of our Holy Torah.

One small example: there was a rally a few days (weeks, years, etc... depending on when you are reading this) ago in Washington, DC. Nearly 300,000 Jews, from all walks of Torah observance. Completely peaceful. By that I mean that no outside groups came to disrupt. Given the mood of the public and the violence in other areas and even the next day in DC itself; that is nothing short of an open miracle.

How did I participate? I asked R' Fuerst on the Sunday before the rally if it was a good thing. My thought was that getting too much in the public eye is often not good for us. R' Fuerst said that he couldn't say, but he added: "I'll say one thing. Anyone sitting and learning is doing more for Klal Yisrael than any rally."

On Monday morning, I mentioned that statement to a chavrusa who was going to the rally. His reply demonstrates why we are good chavrusos: "So, that means you are taking the day off to learn?" Yikes! I hadn't thought of R' Fuerst's statement as a p'sak, but I couldn't really argue with his inference. So that's what I did. Who knows what has what effect in shamayim. The IDF is on the front lines. I have a colleague who works in intelligence for Israel. Nearly 300,000 Jews, from all walks of Torah observance came together to make a public stand of support of Israel. I -- and I am sure many, many others -- sat in beis medrash and learned. Which brings us to the title of this TftD:

We Are All in This Together -- עם ישראל חי

A couple of lessons from my day of learning: It was scary, actually, because I had never had taken a whole day of unstructured time to learn. One thing I saw was how quickly the yeitzer hara gets to work. I first confirmed with my wife that she was on board and we didn't need my last day off of the year for anything else. As soon as all the barriers had been cleared, I immediately started thinking of why I couldn't take that particular day off. As the list grew, I asked myself why I hadn't thought of all that before. I concluded it was the yeitzer hara and so immediately contacted my boss to tell him I was taking the next day off. Now I was committed and there was a certain calm. I also discovered that, while I actually can -- Baruch HaShem -- sit and learn all day, I had grossly overblown expectations of what I could accomplish in a day. I am all the more anticipating my retirement so I can get to work already!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: What Category of Muktzeh are Our Candles?

As discussed in a recent TftD , a p'sak halacha quite surprising to many, that one may -- even לכתחילה -- decorate a birthday cake with (unlit, obviously) birthday candles on Shabbos. That p'sak is predicated on another p'sak halacha; namely, that our candles are muktzeh because they are a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not  מוקצה מחמת גופו/intrinsically set aside from any use on Shabbos. They point there was that using the candle as a decoration qualifies as a need that allows one to utilize a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור. Today we will discuss the issue of concluding that our candles are , in fact, a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not מוקצה מחמת גופו. Along the way we'll also (again) how important it is to have personal relationship with your rav/posek, the importance of precision in vocabulary, and how to interpret the Mishna Brura.  Buckle up. After reviewing siman 308 and the Mishna Brura there, I concluded that it should be permissible to use birthday candles to decorate a cake on Shabbo