Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Zatu Bo Dahd Uvyo -- The Four Parshiyos

There are four Shabbosim during the year that Chazal want us to add a short selection to the normal Shabbos leining between Rosh Chodesh Adar and Rosh Chodesh Nissan.  These are known fondly to klal yisrael as Shabbos Sh'kalim, Shabbos Zachor, Shabbos Para, and Shabbos haChodesh.

Shabbos Sh'kalim is to remind us that the machtzis ha'shekel is due before Nissan.  The Torah distinguishes Nissan as the first of months (though not the first month of the year).  That distinction is commemorated by a requirement to buy the communal korban tamid offerings with funds collected from Nissan to Adar.  Nissan is coming up, so it's time pony up (or lamb up, I suppose) that machtzis ha'shekel to fill the coffers with the funded needed to restock the flock.

Next come Shabbos Zachor; the shabbos of "We will never forget!"  We read again of the sneaky and cowardly behavior of Amaleik attacking the weak of the newly formed klal yisrael as they left Mitzrayim.  This reading fulfills the mitzvas asei m'd'oraisa to keep the importance of wiping out the memory of Amaleik always near the front of our mind.  Chazal put the reading on the Shabbos before Purim because Haman is from Amaleik, putting the mention of the destruction of Amaleik before the execution.  (You better believe "pun intended"!  I want full credit.)

Shabbos Para comes next, reminding us to be on the look out for a completely red heifer.  We'll need her ashes to become tahor; needed for bringing korbanos to the Beis HaMikdash; may it be rebuilt soon and in our lifetime.  It comes before Shabbos haChodesh because that's when the ashes were prepared in the midbar to be able to use the Mishkan b't'hara as soon as possible.  The Mishkan we erected on Rosh Chodesh Nissan, so there you go.

Finally we have Parshas haChodesh, as an extra sanctification of the first month.

Now get this, Rosh Chodesh Adar (the one closest to Nissan) can only fall on Shabbos (7/zayin), Monday (2/beis), Wednesday (4/dales), or Friday (6/vav).  Also, there are five or six Shabbosim between Rosh Chodesh Adar and Rosh Chodesh Nissan, but only four parshiyos.  So we'll need to take a break in the middle.  If Rosh Chodesh Adar falls on Shabbos, then we'll take a break on the 15th of Adar; that's zatu.  Monday, the 6th of Adar; that's bo.  Wednesday, the 4th of Adar; that's dahd.  If Rosh Chodesh Adar falls on Friday, then there'll be six Shabbosim, so we'll need to take two breaks: on the 2nd and 16th of Adar; that's uvyo.

That last bit of information is brought to you by the Shulchan Aruch, O.Ch. 685:6.  Why is that information so important that Chazal created an acronym and the Shulchan Aruch states it l'halacha?  I haven't got a clue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Pizza, Uncrustables, and Stuff -- What Bracha?

Many years ago (in fact, more than two decades ago), I called R' Fuerst from my desk at work as I sat down to lunch.  I had a piece of (quite delicious) homemade pizza for lunch.  I nearly always eat at my desk as I am working (or writing TftD...), so my lunch at work cannot in any way be considered as sitting down to a formal meal; aka קביעת סעודה.  That being the case, I wasn't sure whether to wash, say ha'motzi, and bentch; or was the pizza downgraded to a m'zonos.  He told if it was a snack, then it's m'zonos; if a meal the ha'motzi.  Which what I have always done since then.  I recently found out how/why that works. The Shulchan Aruch, 168:17 discusses פשטיד''א, which is describes as a baked dough with meat or fish or cheese.  In other words: pizza.  Note: while the dough doesn't not need to be baked together with the meat/fish/cheese, it is  required that they dough was baked with the intention of making this concoction. ...

Thought for the Day: Yetzer HaRa -- Spiritual Force of Tuma vs Physical Ta'avos

In any project planning, there are two basic approaches: top down and bottom up.  Top down starts with describing what you want done at the highest level that seems reasonable.  You then break that down into a list of things that are smaller in scope (they only accomplish part of the job) and are therefore easier to actually accomplish.  That process can is then repeated with each sub-project.  Each iteration produces a new set of smaller projects.  For any of the projects, the level above provides the "why" for the project of interest, and the projects below provide the "how" for the current project.  Bottom up starts, as it's name suggests, from the lowest level -- here is stuff I know I can do, and proceeds by asking "what can I do by putting this stuff together?" For example, I have a project to slake my thirst.  Top down would start by a requirement to get a cool drink into a container from which I can drink.  That breaks down into: (1) fin...

Thought for the Day: Why Halacha Has "b'di'avad"

There was this Jew who knew every "b'di'avad" (aka, "Biddy Eved", the old spinster librarian) in the book.  When ever he was called on something, his reply was invariably, "biddy eved, it's fine".  When he finally left this world and was welcomed to Olam Haba, he was shown to a little, damp closet with a bare 40W bulb hanging from the ceiling.  He couldn't believe his eyes and said in astonishment, "This is Olam Haba!?!"  "Yes, Reb Biddy Eved,  for you this is Olam Haba." b'di'avad gets used like that; f you don't feel like doing something the best way, do it the next (or less) best way.  But Chazal tell us that "kol ha'omer HaShem vatran, m'vater al chayav" -- anyone who thinks HaShem gives partial credit is fooling himself to death (free translation.  Ok, really, really free translation; but its still true).  HaShem created us and this entire reality for one and only one purpose: for use...