Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Fine for Taking a Mitzvah is 10 Gold Dinarim (~ $792.00 on Jan 17, 2014 CE)

S'char mitzvah b'hai alma leicha!  The reward for even the smallest mitzvah is so unimaginably huge that it can't be fit into this world.  Wow!  Holy Amazing Olam HaBah, Batman!  Take, for example, the mitzvah of tzedaka; a real, live, Torah mandated mitzvah.  Let's keep this "small", say... giving a dollar to the m'shulach who is trudging though this freezing winter in Chicago.  He walks by during chazaras ha'shatz and you absent-mindedly (except to make darn sure he isn't trying for a second dollar this year) hand him a dollar.  We all know and believe that the reward for that mitzvah is greater than all the wealth in this world.

Theoretically, that is.  I haven't tried this experiment, but I am confident of my prediction as to the outcome.  The experiment is to have two different collectors going through beis medrashim... which collector goes to which beis medrashim chosen at random.  One collector goes with a green card and gives a the mitzvah of tzedaka for each dollar he collects.  The other collector gives a diamond for each dollar he collects and has a notarized note attesting to the diamond's authenticity.  My prediction: No one is going to turn away the collector with diamonds; in fact, people will be borrowing money to exchange as many dollars as possible for those diamonds.

The problem is that "unimaginable reward" is just that -- unimaginable, and therefore essentially irrelevant to our daily lives.  Let's see if we can't make this more real.

The gemara (Bava Kama 91b) recounts that someone covered the blood of a bird that had been slaughtered by another Jew.  The Torah gives that mitzvah of kisu'i ha'dahm to the one who spilled the blood, so the shochet took the case to beis din.  Rabban Gamliel levied a fine of 10 gold dinarim.  According to Rashi (Bava Kamma 36a, dh dinar zahav), a gold dinar is worth 25 zuz.  According to R' Chaim Naeh  (Shiurey Torah 3:42), a zuz is 4.8 grams of silver.  That means that Rabban Gamliel levied a fine of $792 (price of silver on Jan 17, 2014 CE).  Oh, and we pasken that way; see Shulchan Aruch Choshen Mishpat 382:1 (there's only one syef, this p'sak is near the end).

The G"ra says that when speaking in learning, the saying of each and every word fulfills a mitzvah.  Suppose Shmendrick walks into a beis medrash with 10 people learning and he announces the score of some sports match.  Let's just say that stops everyone from learning for 10 seconds.  According to Yahoo, the average speaking rate is 120 - 150 words per minute.  Using the small number, that mean that Shmendrick just took away 200 mitzvos (10 people * 120 words/minute * 1 minute/60 seconds * 10 seconds).  That means he just incurred a fine of $158,400.

I don't know about you, but I can't afford that.  So if I don't discuss sports (or current events, or physics) with you in beis medrash, it's not because I am rude and anti-social (I mean, I am rude and anti-social, but that's just not the reason I don't have those discussions in beis medrash).  It's just because I can't afford it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Battling the Evil Inclination on all Fronts

Yom Kippur.  When I was growing up, there were three annual events that marked the Jewish calendar: eating matzos on Passover, lighting candles on Chanuka, and  fasting on Yom Kippur.  Major news organizations around the world report on the "surreal" and "eerie" quiet of the streets in even the most secular neighborhoods of Israel.  Yom Kippur.

As you know, I am observant of Jewish law.  Some have even called me "ultra orthodox" (not in a kind way).  Given that, I have a question.  How likely do you think that I would be tempted to eat on Yom Kippur, that most holy day of the year?  Let's make the scale zero to ten, where zero is "as likely as driving through McDonald's on Shabbos and ordering a Big Mac with extra cheese." and ten is "as likely as breathing regularly".  Take your time.  If you answered "zero"; thank you, but -- sadly and penitently -- no.  The answer is more like nine; I'd like to say lower, but i…

Thought for the Day: Using a Mitzvah Object for Non-Mitzvah Purposes

As I am -- Baruch HaShem -- getting older, I am more cognizant of the fact that I'd like to stay as healthy as possible right up the moment I leave this world.  Stuff hurting is not the problem (I am told there is an old Russian saying that once you are 40, if you wake up and nothing hurts -- you're dead), stuff not working, however, is a problem.  To that end, for several years now I commute to work by bicycle (weather permitting, 30 minutes on an elliptical machine when weather does not permit).  I recently took up some upper body weight training.  Not because I want to be governor of California, just simply to slow down loss of bone mass and extend my body's healthy span.  Simple hishtadlus.  I have an 18 month old grandson who is just the right weight for arm curls (yes... I am that weak), so I do about 10 reps when I greet him at night.  He laughs, I get my exercise; all good.  (Main problem is explaining to the older ones why zeidy can't give them the same "…

Thought for the Day: Coming Into This World for Torah, Avodah, and Acts of Loving Kindness

This TftD is so self-serving that I should be embarrassed.  But I am not... talking about grandchildren is always off budget.  I have, bli ayin hara, a beautiful new grandson; born at 6:11 PM CDT last Friday night.  The secular (aka -- by me, anyway -- slave) date is October 20, 2017 CE.  The Hebrew (aka Real) date is certainly Rosh Chodesh חשון/Cheshvan and certainly in the year 5778 since Creation.  The date, you ask... good question!

Sundown on Friday night was 6:01 PM CDT, which means he was born either at the end of the last day of תשרי or the beginning of the first day of Cheshvan; a period know as בין השמשות/twilight.  What's the big deal, you ask... I am so glad you asked.  We all deal quite handily with בין השמשות every week and every holiday; we're just stringent.  We start Shabbos and the first day of Yom Tov before בין השמשות; that is, before sundown.  Likewise, we end Shabbos and the first day of Yom Tov after בין השמשות; some 42, 50, 60, or 72 minutes after sundo…