Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Change Made With Rare Bill -- Now What?

This is the rule: Anything and everything in the Torah -- both written and oral -- is relevant and necessary for me to live my everyday -- so to speak -- mundane life. I know that is the rule and I believe it. None the less, it is often feels like "decree of the King"; I am forbidden wear mixtures of wool and linen, forbidden to eat bacon, the ashes of the red heifer make one clean and the other impure, and every word and story in the Torah -- written and oral -- is relevant to my daily life.

Take, for example, the medrash that the residents of the soon to be Eretz Yisrael spent the 40 years that Jews were "wandering" in the wilderness hiding their valuables in the walls of their houses. Later the Jews moved in and started normal life, including regular commerce and moving around. Houses would be sold and bought. It could be several dozens or even hundreds of years before the valuables were discovered in the walls. The question naturally arises, to whom does that property belong? The original owners were long gone, of course; and, anyway, there property was lost to the conquering nation (us). But did it belong to the current owners or to the previous owners? As well all know a person's courtyard (generally) works to acquire stuff for him, certainly his house.

The mishna says that the property belongs to the owner at the time it was found. Tosafos explains that something that is hidden in a way that it may never be found is not acquired till actually found. Fine, fine, the medrash turns out to be important to a mishna, which in turn requires an explanation by Tosafos. So that medrash has affected me now as part of my regular gemara learning, but that's still not my daily life.

The Ha'ga'os Ashri (I heard in a shiur by R' Shraga Kallus) uses this Tosafos in a case where a junk dealer found and then sold a lead box. The buyer (for whatever reason) scraped the side of the box and found it was actually a silver box covered in lead. Based on this Tosafos, which is explaining a mishna, which is describing the halachic consequences of the medrash, the Ha'ga'os Ashri paskens that the buyer -- not the junk dealer -- keeps the box, because the silver was not likely to be discovered. Fine, fine... so this medrash is relevant to an obscure halacha. Still not my daily life.

Later poskim discuss whether getting a rare bill in change is the same thing as the box. On the one hand, the money changer apparently doesn't know and is unlikely to discover the true value of this dollar bill; so maybe it's like the silver box covered in lead. On the other hand, it is not hidden from view; he just doesn't know its value. The generally accepted halacha (as I confirmed with R' Fuerst) is that the bill, or at least its value, belongs to the money changer, not the receiver.

Fine, fine, still a pretty obscure halacha; I mean, how often does that happen... um... wait... oops... just a few weeks ago I took a 20$ bill to the vasikin money changer, who gave me a 10$, a 5$, and five 1$ bills -- one of which looked a bit odd. Woo hoo! It was a 1957 silver certificate! The year I was born. I was so excited!  It it more rare than a regular one dollar bill, and one in circulation is worth between two and four dollars. I though nothing more about it (except excitement at having bill that came into the world the same year that I did), until I heard that shiur by R' Shraga Kallus discussing that mishna, the Tosafos, the ha'Ga'os Ashri, and the rare bill case. That night is when I clarified with R' Fuerst that I did, in fact, owe the extra value back to the vasikin tzedaka box.

So that medrash just obligated my in returning three dollars. That's pretty darn daily, mundane life!

One question: what was the status of that three dollars in my pocket? Was it lost or stolen money that I was returning? What difference does that make? Watch for an upcoming TftD real soon, בעזרת השם.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: What Category of Muktzeh are Our Candles?

As discussed in a recent TftD , a p'sak halacha quite surprising to many, that one may -- even לכתחילה -- decorate a birthday cake with (unlit, obviously) birthday candles on Shabbos. That p'sak is predicated on another p'sak halacha; namely, that our candles are muktzeh because they are a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not  מוקצה מחמת גופו/intrinsically set aside from any use on Shabbos. They point there was that using the candle as a decoration qualifies as a need that allows one to utilize a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור. Today we will discuss the issue of concluding that our candles are , in fact, a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not מוקצה מחמת גופו. Along the way we'll also (again) how important it is to have personal relationship with your rav/posek, the importance of precision in vocabulary, and how to interpret the Mishna Brura.  Buckle up. After reviewing siman 308 and the Mishna Brura there, I concluded that it should be permissible to use birthday candles to decorate a cake on Shabbo