Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Backing into Kabbalah from Halacha

Do you like kabbalah?  Why?  I mean, I know why I find it interesting.  After all, I like theoretical physics.  I specifically studied physics because I wasn't interested in how anything in particular worked, I was only interested in how everything, everywhere worked.  I thought that if I knew the fundamental principles of how everything, everywhere worked, then I could figure out how anything in particular worked.  That was the working hypothesis.

A friend in the dorms once once trying to install a dimmer in his room (not authorized, of course).  He was downcast because the circuit breaker box was locked (shocking; pun intended) and so he couldn't shut off power to his room while installing the switch.  I, being a physics major (and with all the arrogance of youth on top of my own natural arrogance), quickly assessed the situation and announced my judgement: "As long as the dimmer is off while installing, no electricity will be running through it, so there is no problem installing it into a hot circuit."  They were all suitably impressed and handed the dimmer to me.  As I went to make the final connection, a huge spark through me back and destroyed the dimmer.  After a few days of sulking, I worked out that when making the connection, electricity will flow for a very brief fraction of a second (for those of you who care, even a bare wire has some capacitance; small, but not zero).  Not long enough to run anything useful, but enough that as it stops, the wire's small (but, again, non-zero) inductance is enough to start a spark... the rest is history.  I history, in fact, that was enshrined -- to my deep embarrassment -- with drawings and descriptive text around my friend's door for years afterward.

That's why if you want a dimmer installed, you hire and electrician.  Not a physicist (ok, ok... certainly not a junior who is a physics major), not even an electrical engineer.  While it is true that one who knows the fundamental principles of how everything, everywhere works, then he can certainly work out how anything in particular work; but only in principle.

That is why I spend most of my time on halacha and a fraction of my time on gemara.  Being that I am in charge of running my life, I want to really know the practical nuts and bolts of living; that is, halacha.  Of course, I also want a deeper understanding of how those practical rules are derived and would eventually like to be able to derive them myself.  Hence, I also learn gemara.  Ultimately, I am still going to want to have an appreciation for the deepest principles that guide our world.  Some day, therefore, I hope to he prepared to learn kabbalah.

In the meantime, just a bit of quantum mechanics is sometimes necessary to really understand how things really work (smart phones, for example), you sometimes need kabbalah to understand how things in our daily lives (תפילין, for example).  In hilchos תפילין, therefore, the Mishna Brura gives the hierarchy in determining halacha:
  1. If something is decided clearly in gemara and poskim, then that is what decides the halacha, regardless of the statements in kabbalah.
  2. If something is not discussed at all in gemara, then you are not obligated to follow anything said on that topic in kabbalah.
  3. If something is left undecided in gemara and poskim, then the kabbalah can be used to give strength to one side and decide the matter.
  4. Similarly, if the kabbalah is stringent, it is meritorious to follow that stringency.
Of course, everything is consistent from most bread-and-butter halacha to the deepest kabbalistic principles (the Mishna Brura occasionally notes that the Gr'a resolves this or that dichotomy).  The halacha, in fact, is nothing but the expression of kabbalah in our mundane world.  Learning some kabbalah, in fact, adds meaning and depth to our everyday experiences.  Trying to "use" kabbalah to draw your own conclusions about -- or much worse, to deviate from -- normative halacaha, is reckless beyond comprehension.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Pizza, Uncrustables, and Stuff -- What Bracha?

Many years ago (in fact, more than two decades ago), I called R' Fuerst from my desk at work as I sat down to lunch.  I had a piece of (quite delicious) homemade pizza for lunch.  I nearly always eat at my desk as I am working (or writing TftD...), so my lunch at work cannot in any way be considered as sitting down to a formal meal; aka קביעת סעודה.  That being the case, I wasn't sure whether to wash, say ha'motzi, and bentch; or was the pizza downgraded to a m'zonos.  He told if it was a snack, then it's m'zonos; if a meal the ha'motzi.  Which what I have always done since then.  I recently found out how/why that works. The Shulchan Aruch, 168:17 discusses פשטיד''א, which is describes as a baked dough with meat or fish or cheese.  In other words: pizza.  Note: while the dough doesn't not need to be baked together with the meat/fish/cheese, it is  required that they dough was baked with the intention of making this concoction. ...

Thought for the Day: Yetzer HaRa -- Spiritual Force of Tuma vs Physical Ta'avos

In any project planning, there are two basic approaches: top down and bottom up.  Top down starts with describing what you want done at the highest level that seems reasonable.  You then break that down into a list of things that are smaller in scope (they only accomplish part of the job) and are therefore easier to actually accomplish.  That process can is then repeated with each sub-project.  Each iteration produces a new set of smaller projects.  For any of the projects, the level above provides the "why" for the project of interest, and the projects below provide the "how" for the current project.  Bottom up starts, as it's name suggests, from the lowest level -- here is stuff I know I can do, and proceeds by asking "what can I do by putting this stuff together?" For example, I have a project to slake my thirst.  Top down would start by a requirement to get a cool drink into a container from which I can drink.  That breaks down into: (1) fin...

Thought for the Day: Why Halacha Has "b'di'avad"

There was this Jew who knew every "b'di'avad" (aka, "Biddy Eved", the old spinster librarian) in the book.  When ever he was called on something, his reply was invariably, "biddy eved, it's fine".  When he finally left this world and was welcomed to Olam Haba, he was shown to a little, damp closet with a bare 40W bulb hanging from the ceiling.  He couldn't believe his eyes and said in astonishment, "This is Olam Haba!?!"  "Yes, Reb Biddy Eved,  for you this is Olam Haba." b'di'avad gets used like that; f you don't feel like doing something the best way, do it the next (or less) best way.  But Chazal tell us that "kol ha'omer HaShem vatran, m'vater al chayav" -- anyone who thinks HaShem gives partial credit is fooling himself to death (free translation.  Ok, really, really free translation; but its still true).  HaShem created us and this entire reality for one and only one purpose: for use...