Skip to main content

Thought for the Day; Dangers of Learning from Ma'aseh Rav

In 1966 a reasonably funny movie was created as the film debut of reasonably inappropriate (but very creative) comedian.  I say created, because he didn't actually film anything.  Instead, he bought a Japanese spy thriller, stripped off the soundtrack, and then wrote his own.  He had no idea what the original plot was and his story was simply written around watching the action on the screen.  Very cool idea, no?

Reading/quoting a "ma'aseh rav" (the actions of a gadol) without context is pretty much the same thing as writing your own soundtrack for a foreign movie.  While that may be a cool idea for a movie, it's a pretty rotten idea for learning how live your life.  I heard once about two talmidim arguing whether it was appropriate to read the newspaper on shabbos.  One said that he had seen the rosh yeshiva reading the newspaper, so obviously it was a good idea.  The other was surprised, so he went to ask the rosh yeshiva if it were true.  The rosh yeshiva responded, "Of course.  I read the newspaper every day and finish Shas every year."  Ah... so maybe if you finish Shas every year and are kulo Torah it makes sense to read the newspaper daily.  Maybe if you are spending 14 hours a day learning, it makes sense to spend 15 minutes a day scanning the headlines.  The mathematician in my feels compelled to note if the ratio is 14 hours torah for every 1/4 hour of news, most of us would barely have time to read even one headline.

This came up because I saw in Halichos Shlomo a discussion of what kind of tzitzis to wear.  The Halichos Shlomo pointed out that there was no proof to anything from the fact that the Gr"a always wore a tallis koton made of cotton.  In fact, it wasn't that the Gr"a was not makpid, quite the opposite, he he was makpid to only wear arba kanfos made from cotton.  Why?  Because the Gr"a wore his tallis gadol (wool, of course) all day and was thereby fulfilling the mitzvah d'oraisa of tztzis.  The Gr"a also wanted to also fulfill the mitzva d'rabanan of tzitzis.  In other words, he was not being meikel on tzitzis, he was being machmir on the d'oraisa of listening to Chazal regarding tzitzis and thereby achieving another dimension of shleimus.

So next time you see a great person doing something, ask him why.  Next time you hear about a great person doing something, first make sure he really did it, then investigate why.  You'd be amazed what can turn up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Pizza, Uncrustables, and Stuff -- What Bracha?

Many years ago (in fact, more than two decades ago), I called R' Fuerst from my desk at work as I sat down to lunch.  I had a piece of (quite delicious) homemade pizza for lunch.  I nearly always eat at my desk as I am working (or writing TftD...), so my lunch at work cannot in any way be considered as sitting down to a formal meal; aka קביעת סעודה.  That being the case, I wasn't sure whether to wash, say ha'motzi, and bentch; or was the pizza downgraded to a m'zonos.  He told if it was a snack, then it's m'zonos; if a meal the ha'motzi.  Which what I have always done since then.  I recently found out how/why that works. The Shulchan Aruch, 168:17 discusses פשטיד''א, which is describes as a baked dough with meat or fish or cheese.  In other words: pizza.  Note: while the dough doesn't not need to be baked together with the meat/fish/cheese, it is  required that they dough was baked with the intention of making this concoction. ...

Thought for the Day: Yetzer HaRa -- Spiritual Force of Tuma vs Physical Ta'avos

In any project planning, there are two basic approaches: top down and bottom up.  Top down starts with describing what you want done at the highest level that seems reasonable.  You then break that down into a list of things that are smaller in scope (they only accomplish part of the job) and are therefore easier to actually accomplish.  That process can is then repeated with each sub-project.  Each iteration produces a new set of smaller projects.  For any of the projects, the level above provides the "why" for the project of interest, and the projects below provide the "how" for the current project.  Bottom up starts, as it's name suggests, from the lowest level -- here is stuff I know I can do, and proceeds by asking "what can I do by putting this stuff together?" For example, I have a project to slake my thirst.  Top down would start by a requirement to get a cool drink into a container from which I can drink.  That breaks down into: (1) fin...

Thought for the Day: Why Halacha Has "b'di'avad"

There was this Jew who knew every "b'di'avad" (aka, "Biddy Eved", the old spinster librarian) in the book.  When ever he was called on something, his reply was invariably, "biddy eved, it's fine".  When he finally left this world and was welcomed to Olam Haba, he was shown to a little, damp closet with a bare 40W bulb hanging from the ceiling.  He couldn't believe his eyes and said in astonishment, "This is Olam Haba!?!"  "Yes, Reb Biddy Eved,  for you this is Olam Haba." b'di'avad gets used like that; f you don't feel like doing something the best way, do it the next (or less) best way.  But Chazal tell us that "kol ha'omer HaShem vatran, m'vater al chayav" -- anyone who thinks HaShem gives partial credit is fooling himself to death (free translation.  Ok, really, really free translation; but its still true).  HaShem created us and this entire reality for one and only one purpose: for use...