Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Teiku -- Applied to d'Oraisa is Assur, to d'Rabanan is Mutar

A colleague walked in the other day, told us about some very simply insight that had finally dawned on him and concluded, "Sometimes I am so astounded at how stupid I can be."  I told him, "Don't worry.  With just a few more years of experience, you will cease to be surprised at how stupid you can be; you'll be an old pro at being stupid."

Case in point; while preparing for this TftD (yes, smart guy, I do prepare), I was struggling with a Rashi (Shabbos 65b, dh ti'ba'i l'mahn d'amar) that says the machloches about whether haramah is permitted is found in "kol kizvei kodesh" (all sacred writings)!  I mean, I've heard of a machlokes or idea being relevant in "kol ha'torah kulo" (the entire body of Torah), but this was a new on for me.  And I didn't even know what it meant.  Before asking someone, I decided to look into that Rashi one more time.  Yep... "plugta b'kol kisvei kodesh".  Strange.  I read further "l'kaman 120a"; great, at least I have a trail to follow!  So I quickly turned to daf 120a... started scanning the page for the explanation... and... oh... right... the name of that chapter of the masechat is "kol kisvei kodesh."  Mystery solved; stupidity validated.

In any case, the machlokes about haramah (cunning evasion) is stated in reference to what one is allowed to take out of his house in case of fire on Shabbos.  R' Meir says you can wear as many articles of clothing as you can get on; six shirts, three pairs of pants, four coats, etc.  Meaning that R' Meir holds that haramah is permitted in that situation.  R' Yose says one may only wear only as much clothing as could be considered normal (the mishna says 18 garments, the gemara explains what those are).  That is, R' Yose forbids haramah, even in that situation.

On daf 65b, Abaye asks about the mother who wants to bring a walnut to her screaming kid in the public thoroughfare (as we discussed).  Would R' Meir also allow the mother to bring the nut as a deely-bob on her toga?  Maybe not; in the case of Shabbos the person is worried about his money and will do something worse if we don't cut him some slack.  The mother, on the other hand, will simply tell her husband to take care of junior if we tell her that that the deely-bob subterfuge is not kosher; so maybe R' Meir will be strict.  So then, would R' Yose also forbid her?  Maybe not; in the case of Shabbos the clothing is being carried out in the normal way, which makes things worse.  In the case of the mother and the walnut, however, that is not the normal way to transport a walnut so maybe R' Yose would be lenient.

The gemara ends with "teiku"; literally: let it [the question] stand [as unresolved].  The Rif says that whenever we have a teiku, applied to a d'oraisa we go l'chumra, to a d'rabanan we go l'kula.  Hence the p'sak of the Shulchan Aruch OC 303:23, permits this subtrefuge in a karmelis and forbids it in a r'shus ha'rabim.  Ta-Da!

As mentioned, the word teiku really does just mean, "let it stand".  In case, however, you have not yet given up on trying to sound smart, you can note that some people like to read teiku as an acronym for: Tishbi Y'tareitz Kushyot Va'Abayot -- [Eliyahu ha]Tishbi will answer questions and [seeming] contradictions.  Lest you think I am in that category... I had to look that up with Google.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Battling the Evil Inclination on all Fronts

Yom Kippur.  When I was growing up, there were three annual events that marked the Jewish calendar: eating matzos on Passover, lighting candles on Chanuka, and  fasting on Yom Kippur.  Major news organizations around the world report on the "surreal" and "eerie" quiet of the streets in even the most secular neighborhoods of Israel.  Yom Kippur.

As you know, I am observant of Jewish law.  Some have even called me "ultra orthodox" (not in a kind way).  Given that, I have a question.  How likely do you think that I would be tempted to eat on Yom Kippur, that most holy day of the year?  Let's make the scale zero to ten, where zero is "as likely as driving through McDonald's on Shabbos and ordering a Big Mac with extra cheese." and ten is "as likely as breathing regularly".  Take your time.  If you answered "zero"; thank you, but -- sadly and penitently -- no.  The answer is more like nine; I'd like to say lower, but i…

Thought for the Day: Using a Mitzvah Object for Non-Mitzvah Purposes

As I am -- Baruch HaShem -- getting older, I am more cognizant of the fact that I'd like to stay as healthy as possible right up the moment I leave this world.  Stuff hurting is not the problem (I am told there is an old Russian saying that once you are 40, if you wake up and nothing hurts -- you're dead), stuff not working, however, is a problem.  To that end, for several years now I commute to work by bicycle (weather permitting, 30 minutes on an elliptical machine when weather does not permit).  I recently took up some upper body weight training.  Not because I want to be governor of California, just simply to slow down loss of bone mass and extend my body's healthy span.  Simple hishtadlus.  I have an 18 month old grandson who is just the right weight for arm curls (yes... I am that weak), so I do about 10 reps when I greet him at night.  He laughs, I get my exercise; all good.  (Main problem is explaining to the older ones why zeidy can't give them the same "…

Thought for the Day: Thanking HaShem Each and Every Day for Solid Land Near Water

Each and every morning, a Jew is supposed to view himself as a new/renewed creation, ready for a new day of building his eternal self through Torah and mitzvos.  We begin the day with 16 brachos to praise/thank/acknowledge HaShem for giving us all the tools we need to succeed.  We have a body, soul, and intellect.  We have vision, mobility, and protection from the elements.  Among those brachos, we have one that perhaps seems a bit out of place: רוקע הארץ על המים/Who spreads out the land on/over the water.  After all, it's nice to have a dry place to walk, but does that compare to the gratitude I have for a working body and vision?  As it turns out, I should; as explained by the R' Rajchenbach, rosh kollel of Kollel Zichron Eliyahu (aka, Peterson Park Kollel).  Your best bet is to listen to the shiur; very distant second is to continue, which I hope will whet your appetite for the real thing.

First... since we have dry land, I don't have to slog to work through even a foot…