Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: After the Churban, A Love Story

The Shabbos after Tisha b'Av is "Shabbos Nachamu"; so called because of its haftara which begins, "nachamu, nachamu".  In fact, that Shabbos is only the first of seven Shabbosim of consolation; each with its own haftara.  The thing is, however, that taken one at at time there doesn't seem to be a lot of consolation here.  Yes, the first haftara does begin with those words, but on the heels of that exhortation from HaShem to the n'vi'im to comfort us is the sobering statement that we have been punished double for our sins.  Then the last one just seems to leap enthusiastically to ecstasy from no where.  To put things in context, here are the lead lines of those seven Shabbosim (all from Isaiah):
Isaiah
  1. 40:1   Nachamu, nachamu
  2. 49:14 And Tzion said, HaShem has forgotten me, my Lord has forgotten me.
  3. 54:11 O afflicted, storm-tossed, unconsoled one
  4. 51:12 It is I, I am He Who comforts you.
  5. 54:1  Sing out, O barren one!
  6. 60:1  Arise!  Shine! Your light has arrived!
  7. 61:10 I will rejoice intensely with HaShem, my soul shall exult with my G-d!
I saw a beautiful explanation of what Chazal are telling us in the Ha'Me'or Mikra'os G'dolos.  First, though, I need a flashback to set the mood... image wavery lines and going back in time music...  I have been through most of my chemotherapy.  My doctor came in to visit, as he often did during those long (5 - 6 hour) days getting chemo in his office.  He told me that no one who got the full treatment of chemo died from the cancer I had.  "You will have side effects and the recovery will take some time, but the cancer will be gone."  The tumor (roughly 10 lbs) was gone in just a few weeks, but the treatments extended over three grueling months.  Getting rid of the tumors is one thing, getting rid of the cancer is another.

Every drop of suffering in this world is nothing more (nor less) than a healing for our self-inflicted wounds and diseases; both spiritual and physical.  One of the scariest things about cancer is the worry of coming out of remission... meaning that some cancer was not destroyed and it could back in full fury.  Being told that the suffering has done its job, that no relapse is possible is the most comforting thing a doctor can tell a patient.

So why didn't klal yisrael respond with (7) immediately?  The ultimate source of all suffering, all sin, all confusion, is separation from HaShem.  At Har Sinai klal yisrael had appointed Moshe Rabeinu as their ambassador; they chose not hear Toras Chaim -- instructions for life -- from the Author of life Himself, but through an ambassador.  Now...
  1. HaShem now responds, mida k'neged mida, by telling the n'vi'im to be His ambassadors to bring comfort to His klal yisrael.
  2. Klal yisrael, having learned from her mistakes and wanting to set things right, laments that HaShem has sent emissaries... we want comfort from no one other than HaShem.  In fact, we now realize, there actually is no comfort except from HaShem.
  3. The n'vi'im deliver that message to HaShem; "They are not consoled.  They want only You!"
  4. HaShem begins to turn toward His beloved nation.
  5. Klal Yisrael begins to stir, to feel the divine presence.
  6. Klal Yisrael finally sees and feels the love that HaShem has always wanted them to experience.
  7. There nothing else now other than rejoicing and exultation.
Paradise given, paradise lost, paradise offered, paradise rejected, lessons learned, paradise desired, re-unification that can never again be lost.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Thanking HaShem Each and Every Day for Solid Land Near Water

Each and every morning, a Jew is supposed to view himself as a new/renewed creation, ready for a new day of building his eternal self through Torah and mitzvos.  We begin the day with 16 brachos to praise/thank/acknowledge HaShem for giving us all the tools we need to succeed.  We have a body, soul, and intellect.  We have vision, mobility, and protection from the elements.  Among those brachos, we have one that perhaps seems a bit out of place: רוקע הארץ על המים/Who spreads out the land on/over the water.  After all, it's nice to have a dry place to walk, but does that compare to the gratitude I have for a working body and vision?  As it turns out, I should; as explained by the R' Rajchenbach, rosh kollel of Kollel Zichron Eliyahu (aka, Peterson Park Kollel).  Your best bet is to listen to the shiur; very distant second is to continue, which I hope will whet your appetite for the real thing.

First... since we have dry land, I don't have to slog to work through even a foot…

Thought for the Day: Using a Mitzvah Object for Non-Mitzvah Purposes

As I am -- Baruch HaShem -- getting older, I am more cognizant of the fact that I'd like to stay as healthy as possible right up the moment I leave this world.  Stuff hurting is not the problem (I am told there is an old Russian saying that once you are 40, if you wake up and nothing hurts -- you're dead), stuff not working, however, is a problem.  To that end, for several years now I commute to work by bicycle (weather permitting, 30 minutes on an elliptical machine when weather does not permit).  I recently took up some upper body weight training.  Not because I want to be governor of California, just simply to slow down loss of bone mass and extend my body's healthy span.  Simple hishtadlus.  I have an 18 month old grandson who is just the right weight for arm curls (yes... I am that weak), so I do about 10 reps when I greet him at night.  He laughs, I get my exercise; all good.  (Main problem is explaining to the older ones why zeidy can't give them the same "…

Thought for the Day: Hydroponically Grown Humans... I Feel Sick

I am quite openly not at all objective about abortion in particular and the treatment of human embryos and fetuses in general.  I am, after all, the survivor of a failed abortion attempt.  Not "thought about it, but couldn't go through with it"; not "made appointment, but then chickened out at the lost moment"; but, "tried a procedure, but was unsuccessful in attempt to abort".  Nonetheless, I try very hard to listen to the liberal arguments (which I also used to chant as part of the general liberal catechism), and am genuinely empathetic to the plight of women who find themselves in that difficult position.

What I heard on NPR this morning, however, has left me feeling physically ill.  You can read about it, if you like, but here's the bottom line:  Scientists in Cambridge have achieved a new record, they fertilized a human ova and then kept it alive in vitro (that is, in a test tube/petri dish in a laboratory) for 14 days.  The scientist involve…