Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: That Section of עולם הבא? Only for Those Who Learned on Their Own Time

While discussing how much I appreciate living in the Chicago Jewish community with a good friend and long-time/native resident, he made this observation: We have everything a Jewish community needs. We don't have the quantity that New York or Lakewood has, but we are not lacking anything in quality. The Midwest Bais Hora'ah, a dedicated group of five rabanim headed by R' Shmuel Fuerst, shlit''a, that handle nearly 800 calls a month (much, much more around Pesach, of course), is a shining example of that. They recently had their annual parlor meeting to raise needed funds. (Due to the volume of calls -- which is always increasing -- R' Fuerst would like to add two more rabanim; which takes money.)

The highlight of the parlor meeting was divrei bracha from R' Fuerst followed by divrei chizuk from HaRav Avrohom Schorr. As R' Fuerst finished his divrei bracha, he prefaced his last point with: You may not want to hear this, but it is important. Everyone was very quiet. R' Fuerst looked around the room and said (I am more or less quoting from memory):
I see many rabanim and מלמדי תינוקות/Torah teachers. There is a special section of עולם הבא to which you need a special ticket to get entrance. That ticket come from being קובע עיתים לתורה/dedicating your time to learning Torah. You should know that any time for which you are getting paid does not count. You get reward for learning Torah, but that section of 
עולם הבא will be closed to you unless you dedicate your own -- unpaid -- time to Torah study.

Rav Schorr argued they were not getting paid that well, so it still counted (it was in Yiddish; got some chuckles); R' Fuerst responded that they took the job understanding the salary; so, no, it doesn't count.

I asked R' Fuerst at mincha the next day about yungeleit learning in kollel; he told me it was the same thing. R' Fuerst asked me if I had looked it up. I said, "No, I believe the rav!" He told me that a lot of people didn't believe him, so he showed me. Sha'arei T'shuva 155. (Look it up, it's right there in black on white in your Mishna Brura.) R' Fuerst also mentioned that the Kaf HaChaim, quoting the Birkei Yosef, notes that there may be room to distinguish between someone who teaches Torah and someone learning in kollel. Nonetheless, the Kaf HaChaim continues, since it is a ספיקא דאורייתא/uncertainty about a Torah obligation, one must be stringent and dedicate some of his unpaid/free time to learning.

Since I learn in kollel now, I was able to spend an hour (unpaid! woo-hoo) or so the next morning looking at the original sources. I  have rarely enjoyed this world so much. And now I know that it comes with a ticket to the executive chambers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Pizza, Uncrustables, and Stuff -- What Bracha?

Many years ago (in fact, more than two decades ago), I called R' Fuerst from my desk at work as I sat down to lunch.  I had a piece of (quite delicious) homemade pizza for lunch.  I nearly always eat at my desk as I am working (or writing TftD...), so my lunch at work cannot in any way be considered as sitting down to a formal meal; aka קביעת סעודה.  That being the case, I wasn't sure whether to wash, say ha'motzi, and bentch; or was the pizza downgraded to a m'zonos.  He told if it was a snack, then it's m'zonos; if a meal the ha'motzi.  Which what I have always done since then.  I recently found out how/why that works. The Shulchan Aruch, 168:17 discusses פשטיד''א, which is describes as a baked dough with meat or fish or cheese.  In other words: pizza.  Note: while the dough doesn't not need to be baked together with the meat/fish/cheese, it is  required that they dough was baked with the intention of making this concoction.  That is, even th

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: What Category of Muktzeh are Our Candles?

As discussed in a recent TftD , a p'sak halacha quite surprising to many, that one may -- even לכתחילה -- decorate a birthday cake with (unlit, obviously) birthday candles on Shabbos. That p'sak is predicated on another p'sak halacha; namely, that our candles are muktzeh because they are a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not  מוקצה מחמת גופו/intrinsically set aside from any use on Shabbos. They point there was that using the candle as a decoration qualifies as a need that allows one to utilize a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור. Today we will discuss the issue of concluding that our candles are , in fact, a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not מוקצה מחמת גופו. Along the way we'll also (again) how important it is to have personal relationship with your rav/posek, the importance of precision in vocabulary, and how to interpret the Mishna Brura.  Buckle up. After reviewing siman 308 and the Mishna Brura there, I concluded that it should be permissible to use birthday candles to decorate a cake on Shabbo