Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Plan, Put in Your Efforts, but then Daven; No, Really... You Need to Daven

Brachos 8a seeks to explain the meaning of על זאת יתפלל כל חסיד אליך לעת מצא/For this every pious person will pray to you at the time He can be found (תהלים לב ו). I figured this would go quickly. After all, I know as well as anyone, when can He be found? During the 10 days between Rosh HaShana and Yom Kippur. Right?

Yes right, but this Chazal had something much different in mind. I started reading the Gemara and couldn't make much sense of it. I knew what all the words meant, but had no idea what realization I was meant to, well... realize. So I looked at Rashi:
יתפלל שיהו מצויין לו כשיצטרך/Daven that is should be available when you need it

Isn't that strange? What happened to just do your השתדלות/normal efforts and then rely on HaShem. The Gemara proceeds to list five things that you are most definitely going to need/want, but apparently they need more than just the normal השתדלות and reliance. I think Chazal are telling us that we need to plan our life around these things, and then daven that we are successful in finding them. They are, apparently, life changing and fundamental to our service to HaShem. Without further ado, here is the list.

  1. a wife
  2. Torah
  3. death (apparently there are 903 distinct ways to leave this world; many quite unpleasant)
  4. a burial place
  5. a bathroom
So... I really lucked into (1), as I met my wife long before I was religious and most certainly I was not davening for anything in those days. (This is not an "aww... that's sweet moment", but I have an explicit p'sak from my rebbi that my wife is my perfection. Just saying.) Of course we need Torah and for that you need a good place to learn and good teachers. Ok, clearly that needs davening. What about death? That's the only one on the list for which Rashi adds a comment: daven for an easy and pleasant. Of course we will all need a place to be buried, but it needs extra davening to get the right place. Finally: a bathroom. Really? Bathroom is up there with the other resources that are clearly critical to being successful in life?

I mean, it is true that the couple of times I have had surgery, I was not allowed to leave until I could relieve myself. I was once kept overnight (unplanned), in fact, because things were not getting moving as quickly as they expected. Moreover, the medrash says that one of the complaints Klal Yisrael had about the mahn is that they didn't go to the bathroom and they were afraid of dying because of that. Please also note that there we have exactly one bracha that mentions the Heavenly Throne of HaShem -- that delicate and sublime point of contact between the physical and spiritual worlds. Which bracha? You know it and say it several time a day: אשר יצר -- recited after leaving the bathroom.

That Chazal ends with the judgment of the sages of Eretz Yisrael about which item on that list is the actual simple meaning of the verse. I shall not comment further, but simply report: the bathroom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Pizza, Uncrustables, and Stuff -- What Bracha?

Many years ago (in fact, more than two decades ago), I called R' Fuerst from my desk at work as I sat down to lunch.  I had a piece of (quite delicious) homemade pizza for lunch.  I nearly always eat at my desk as I am working (or writing TftD...), so my lunch at work cannot in any way be considered as sitting down to a formal meal; aka קביעת סעודה.  That being the case, I wasn't sure whether to wash, say ha'motzi, and bentch; or was the pizza downgraded to a m'zonos.  He told if it was a snack, then it's m'zonos; if a meal the ha'motzi.  Which what I have always done since then.  I recently found out how/why that works. The Shulchan Aruch, 168:17 discusses פשטיד''א, which is describes as a baked dough with meat or fish or cheese.  In other words: pizza.  Note: while the dough doesn't not need to be baked together with the meat/fish/cheese, it is  required that they dough was baked with the intention of making this concoction.  That is, even th

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: What Category of Muktzeh are Our Candles?

As discussed in a recent TftD , a p'sak halacha quite surprising to many, that one may -- even לכתחילה -- decorate a birthday cake with (unlit, obviously) birthday candles on Shabbos. That p'sak is predicated on another p'sak halacha; namely, that our candles are muktzeh because they are a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not  מוקצה מחמת גופו/intrinsically set aside from any use on Shabbos. They point there was that using the candle as a decoration qualifies as a need that allows one to utilize a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור. Today we will discuss the issue of concluding that our candles are , in fact, a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not מוקצה מחמת גופו. Along the way we'll also (again) how important it is to have personal relationship with your rav/posek, the importance of precision in vocabulary, and how to interpret the Mishna Brura.  Buckle up. After reviewing siman 308 and the Mishna Brura there, I concluded that it should be permissible to use birthday candles to decorate a cake on Shabbo