Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: The Difference Between היזק ראיה/Damaging Sight Vs. עין הרע/Evil Eye

There are two different kinds of בין אדם לחברו/interpersonal damage related to vision. One is called היזק ראיה/damaging sight, the other is, of course, עין הרע/The Evil Eye.  I say "of course", because I think that the term עין הרע is more well known than היזק ראיה. I never understood the difference -- nor even that there was a difference -- between the two until I started learning Bava Basra. Bava Basra basically begins with a long discussion of היזק ראיה, which I kept mentally translating as עין הרע. I did that until I got to a commentary that said something like, "which is one of the way that היזק ראיה is different from עין הרע." Whoops. That realization led to enough cognitive dissonance that I was forced to re-examine what I had learned, and even go back to re-learn some of those gemaras. (Another in my long list of reasons why I don't learn Daf Yomi; I am not a linear learner.) For those who are as easily confused as I am, I present this high level overview.

Before delving into what those terms mean, it is worth appreciating there high level differences. A little out of sequence, I know; I already told you I am not a linear learner. Moreover, it will pique your interest and make the details more retainable. היזק ראיה is not actually about damage caused by seeing, but by the ability to see and be seen. היזק ראיה can be used as a factor to force money to be spent and to prevent neighbors from being able to do certain kinds of remodeling. עין הרע, on the other hand, is all about seeing. On the other hand considerations of עין הרע cannot be used to extract money nor even to change behavior of those around you. None the less, it is a very real force.

Now your appetite is really whet to know what these things are, no? Lets start with the less well know term היזק ראיה. Even though we live in a time when the not only does everything go, but there is no longer any embarrassment nor shame associated with nearly any behavior. (They say that, but methinks the lady doth protest too much.) The Torah, though, expects us to live our lives with a degree of צניעות/modesty/privacy. I am expected and encouraged to refrain from certain activities where people might see me. Therefore, for example, if I have have a neighbor who wants to open a new window, I have a right to stop him if it will provide more opportunity for me to be seen from that window when I am in my back yard. If two Jews move into adjoining properties, they can force each other to contribute to a privacy wall between them. It makes no difference even if they promise to never look, the fact that they could is enough restrict my activities going forward.

עין הרע, on the other hand is all about being seen. The issue at hand is that the Heavenly Tribunal is always in session and is considering what is best for us. If we live in a way that makes other people jealous, then the HT might decide it would be better for our eternal souls to not have that brand new Porshe or huge mansion. There are many ways for the HT to arrange for those items (or even more precious ones, המבין יבין) to leave our possession; none of them are pleasant. Concerns of עין הרע do not allow me to do anything but change my own behavior. Even though is caused by those who are jealous -- and they will have their own judgement to settle -- we are also held responsible for the unnecessary jealousy that we engender in others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: What Category of Muktzeh are Our Candles?

As discussed in a recent TftD , a p'sak halacha quite surprising to many, that one may -- even לכתחילה -- decorate a birthday cake with (unlit, obviously) birthday candles on Shabbos. That p'sak is predicated on another p'sak halacha; namely, that our candles are muktzeh because they are a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not  מוקצה מחמת גופו/intrinsically set aside from any use on Shabbos. They point there was that using the candle as a decoration qualifies as a need that allows one to utilize a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור. Today we will discuss the issue of concluding that our candles are , in fact, a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not מוקצה מחמת גופו. Along the way we'll also (again) how important it is to have personal relationship with your rav/posek, the importance of precision in vocabulary, and how to interpret the Mishna Brura.  Buckle up. After reviewing siman 308 and the Mishna Brura there, I concluded that it should be permissible to use birthday candles to decorate a cake on Shabbo