Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: The Mitzva of ביקור חולים

"There he goes again... on his soapbox!" Yes, indeed, people do say (or at the very least, think) that about me. They are wrong, though. To prove they are wrong, I just googled the definition of "soapbox": a box or crate used as a makeshift stand by a public speaker. If I used a box or crate as a makeshift stand with all my harping on certain subjects, I'd fall right through! No, sir; no soapbox for me... I need a solid, sturdy, well-engineered platform to support me while I rant.

As I've already mentioned, classical Hebrew terms that we use in halacha do not translate well into English. Worse, people try to force fit complex topics into succinct concepts into simplistic and wrong English words/phrases. Much, much worse is that they draw halachic conclusions based on these simplistic and incorrect mistranslations.

Excuse me? What? Oh... you are wondering if I could give you an example? As it happens, I do have one. ביקור חולים absolutely does not mean "visiting the sick". Yes, Google translate will tell you that it it does, in fact, mean "visiting the sick". It will even tell you that this definition has been verified by the Translation Community. As it happens, the Translation Community does not have s'micha; we don't pasken by Google.

The verb לבקר actually means to check/examine/criticize/review. Now, the word "visit" could be used to mean those things; as in "we revisited the issue". (One can also simply visit an issue, I suppose; though I don't think that is common usage.) However, the word "visit" usually means something much more passive and passionless.

Fine, fine... but what's the issue that got me back onto this soapbox? A question was raised: is one allowed to do the mitzvah of ביקור חולים on Tisha b'Av? I said that of course you could. The counter was: But you are not allowed to greet another Jew on Tisha b'Av. Aren't you going to run afoul of that halacha when you go visiting someone? Yes, I replied, but that has nothing to do with ביקור חולים. (No, I did not say "but... but... that has nothing to do with ביקור חולים!!" It was Tisha b'Av, after all.)

So... what is the mitzvah of ביקור חולים? It means to check/examine/review the needs of a someone who is sick to determine what -- if anything -- they need, and then act to fulfill that. Very often a simple visit is what they need. If you get there and they are sleeping, though, you fulfill the mitzvah by just leaving and letting them get their rest; maybe leave a note, as long as you to it quietly. Other times, they are going through a difficult recovery and very much need you to leave them alone. In that case, leaving them alone is a fulfillment of the mitzvah of ביקור חולים.

Here's a good one: a dear friend is recovering from open heart surgery and the day after the surgery is up to eating a little bit and wants breakfast from a particular kosher restaurant. Running out to get that breakfast and then delivering it to her room and then immediately exiting because she feels so awful that she just needs to be alone is, in fact, unquestionably a beautiful fulfillment of the Torah obligation of ביקור חולים.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Pizza, Uncrustables, and Stuff -- What Bracha?

Many years ago (in fact, more than two decades ago), I called R' Fuerst from my desk at work as I sat down to lunch.  I had a piece of (quite delicious) homemade pizza for lunch.  I nearly always eat at my desk as I am working (or writing TftD...), so my lunch at work cannot in any way be considered as sitting down to a formal meal; aka קביעת סעודה.  That being the case, I wasn't sure whether to wash, say ha'motzi, and bentch; or was the pizza downgraded to a m'zonos.  He told if it was a snack, then it's m'zonos; if a meal the ha'motzi.  Which what I have always done since then.  I recently found out how/why that works. The Shulchan Aruch, 168:17 discusses פשטיד''א, which is describes as a baked dough with meat or fish or cheese.  In other words: pizza.  Note: while the dough doesn't not need to be baked together with the meat/fish/cheese, it is  required that they dough was baked with the intention of making this concoction. ...

Thought for the Day: Yetzer HaRa -- Spiritual Force of Tuma vs Physical Ta'avos

In any project planning, there are two basic approaches: top down and bottom up.  Top down starts with describing what you want done at the highest level that seems reasonable.  You then break that down into a list of things that are smaller in scope (they only accomplish part of the job) and are therefore easier to actually accomplish.  That process can is then repeated with each sub-project.  Each iteration produces a new set of smaller projects.  For any of the projects, the level above provides the "why" for the project of interest, and the projects below provide the "how" for the current project.  Bottom up starts, as it's name suggests, from the lowest level -- here is stuff I know I can do, and proceeds by asking "what can I do by putting this stuff together?" For example, I have a project to slake my thirst.  Top down would start by a requirement to get a cool drink into a container from which I can drink.  That breaks down into: (1) fin...

Thought for the Day: Why Halacha Has "b'di'avad"

There was this Jew who knew every "b'di'avad" (aka, "Biddy Eved", the old spinster librarian) in the book.  When ever he was called on something, his reply was invariably, "biddy eved, it's fine".  When he finally left this world and was welcomed to Olam Haba, he was shown to a little, damp closet with a bare 40W bulb hanging from the ceiling.  He couldn't believe his eyes and said in astonishment, "This is Olam Haba!?!"  "Yes, Reb Biddy Eved,  for you this is Olam Haba." b'di'avad gets used like that; f you don't feel like doing something the best way, do it the next (or less) best way.  But Chazal tell us that "kol ha'omer HaShem vatran, m'vater al chayav" -- anyone who thinks HaShem gives partial credit is fooling himself to death (free translation.  Ok, really, really free translation; but its still true).  HaShem created us and this entire reality for one and only one purpose: for use...