Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: There is a King and There are kings and There are Kings

I once had a very distressing conversation with a lady who saw herself as in the Torah true camp, but more enlightened than the orthodox.  Her enlightenment came from having read English renditions of Kabbalistic writings.  Her thesis resolved around having very deeply and profoundly misunderstood the meaning of the Chazal: אין מלך בלא עם/there is no king without a nation.  Her conclusion was that god needed us; that is, she saw HaShem's מלכות as integral to His Beingness, therefore her conception of god needed a nation in order to have existence itself.  The eternality of he (her concept of god) was intrinsically bound with our own existence.

After some time of trying to disabuse her of the notion that HaShem's existence could have any dependency at all on another, the best I got was an admission from her that I was a worthy opponent.  I frankly didn't feel worthy at all; only a bit soiled from having let myself get drawn into that conversation at all.  I have since matured and don't enter such conversations at all.  Usually.  Hardly and all.  And I catch myself earlier. Sometimes.  sigh....

But... what does אין מלך בלא עם mean?  We do, after all, address HaShem as מלך and we make huge deal of proclaiming his מלכות on Rosh HaShanah.  So the standard line is that the dimension of revelation that is called מלכות does depend on have a nation that acknowledges and accepts Him as מלך.  That's where I was coming from in my ill-fated conversation above.  Problem is... a very popular "hymm" -- אֲדוֹן עוֹלָם.  What's the problem?  Instead of singing the first line, try reading it:
אֲדוֹן עוֹלָם אֲשֶׁר מָלַךְ בְּטֶרֶם כָּל יְצִיר נִבְרָא

Lord of the universe who reigned even when nothing had been created.
Whoops.  How in the world does that jive with  אין מלך בלא עם; regardless of how you understand the word/concept of מלכות?!

The Telshe Rosh in Shiurei Da'as explains: there are two kinds of מלכות.  There is the sort that is covered by אין מלך בלא עם.  That kind of king, in fact, is a slave to his nation.  He is only a king as long as they proclaim him king.  He must monitor his behaviors to ensure that his nation remains dedicated to him.

Then there is the King.  His מלכות means that he is completely in control.  He never reacts, He only acts.  There is, of course, only the one King: אֲדוֹן עוֹלָם אֲשֶׁר מָלַךְ בְּטֶרֶם כָּל יְצִיר נִבְרָא.

However, there is one more sort of king: עבד מלך מלך/the slave of the king is a king.  In other words, when one is wholly identified with and acts only on behalf of his king, then he is, so to speak, an extension of the king.  But עבד מלך מלך can also apply to an עבד השם.  One who dedicates himself to be identified with and act only for the sake of השם -- the ultimate (and only) King -- becomes a King himself.

That is the deeper meaning of the Chazal (Avos 6:2): The only one who is truly free is the one who is completely dedicated to Torah, mitzvos, and avodas HaShem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Pizza, Uncrustables, and Stuff -- What Bracha?

Many years ago (in fact, more than two decades ago), I called R' Fuerst from my desk at work as I sat down to lunch.  I had a piece of (quite delicious) homemade pizza for lunch.  I nearly always eat at my desk as I am working (or writing TftD...), so my lunch at work cannot in any way be considered as sitting down to a formal meal; aka קביעת סעודה.  That being the case, I wasn't sure whether to wash, say ha'motzi, and bentch; or was the pizza downgraded to a m'zonos.  He told if it was a snack, then it's m'zonos; if a meal the ha'motzi.  Which what I have always done since then.  I recently found out how/why that works. The Shulchan Aruch, 168:17 discusses פשטיד''א, which is describes as a baked dough with meat or fish or cheese.  In other words: pizza.  Note: while the dough doesn't not need to be baked together with the meat/fish/cheese, it is  required that they dough was baked with the intention of making this concoction. ...

Thought for the Day: Yetzer HaRa -- Spiritual Force of Tuma vs Physical Ta'avos

In any project planning, there are two basic approaches: top down and bottom up.  Top down starts with describing what you want done at the highest level that seems reasonable.  You then break that down into a list of things that are smaller in scope (they only accomplish part of the job) and are therefore easier to actually accomplish.  That process can is then repeated with each sub-project.  Each iteration produces a new set of smaller projects.  For any of the projects, the level above provides the "why" for the project of interest, and the projects below provide the "how" for the current project.  Bottom up starts, as it's name suggests, from the lowest level -- here is stuff I know I can do, and proceeds by asking "what can I do by putting this stuff together?" For example, I have a project to slake my thirst.  Top down would start by a requirement to get a cool drink into a container from which I can drink.  That breaks down into: (1) fin...

Thought for the Day: Why Halacha Has "b'di'avad"

There was this Jew who knew every "b'di'avad" (aka, "Biddy Eved", the old spinster librarian) in the book.  When ever he was called on something, his reply was invariably, "biddy eved, it's fine".  When he finally left this world and was welcomed to Olam Haba, he was shown to a little, damp closet with a bare 40W bulb hanging from the ceiling.  He couldn't believe his eyes and said in astonishment, "This is Olam Haba!?!"  "Yes, Reb Biddy Eved,  for you this is Olam Haba." b'di'avad gets used like that; f you don't feel like doing something the best way, do it the next (or less) best way.  But Chazal tell us that "kol ha'omer HaShem vatran, m'vater al chayav" -- anyone who thinks HaShem gives partial credit is fooling himself to death (free translation.  Ok, really, really free translation; but its still true).  HaShem created us and this entire reality for one and only one purpose: for use...