Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Obvious Lessons

This morning I woke up to snow... expected, but still not welcome so early.  Nice, heavy snow; good upper body workout.  I got the sidewalk cleared, then went to learn and daven.  I hurried out to skedaddle (did you know that word shows up in spell check!?!) out to catch my bus to the Brown Line to get to work as on time as possible.  Aargh...  it had snowed more while I had been doing HaShem a favor by learning and davening (k'vasiken, yet)!  To demonstrate my annoyance, I spent extra time clearing off every corner of the windshield and back window; I know how to get my point across, after all.  Now I was late getting home, so I was late leaving for the bus.  So.. I was ½ block from the corner when I saw the bus go flying past.  I thought, "Wow!  What crazy hashgacha!  Obviously if I had not spent those few seconds to show my (quite unreasonable) annoyment, I would have made the bus.

I had the next few minutes waiting for the bus to let that soak in as I opened my Mishna Brura.  I got to the train station and the train pulled away just as was walking up to the ramp... more proof.  I found a seat on the next outgoing train and sat down to learn.  With all those extra minutes of waiting, I was able to finish all the Mishna Bruras, Biur Halachas, and Dirshu additions on two complete pages; a good amount learned and at a perfect stopping place, I even finished the last word on the page as the train came to a stop.  I thought to think, "Wow!  What crazy hashgacha!  Obviously the delay worked out perfectly!"  Wait... so I was being rewarded for being unreasonably annoyed?

I think it is great that a Jew decided to be more observant and decided not to take a flight on Shabbos.  I think it is spectacular that there was one less Jew on the plane that, rachmana latzlan, crashed.  I think it is amazing if he decides that HaShem is telling him that he should keep Shabbos, so he'll start being more observant.  I have news for him, though... HaShem wanted that before the plane crashed also; in fact, HaShem has been wanting that for the last 3,300 or more years.  As far as all of us learning a lesson, though, I am skeptical.  First, what about the thousands of Jews who, rachmana latzlan, do fly on Shabbos and nothing, Baruch HaShem, out of the ordinary happens to the flight.  Second, Mordechai himself -- right in the middle of the whole Purim episode -- told Esther that he didn't know, but maybe she was queen so she could be the one to save Klal Yisrael.  Maybe?  Modechai had ru'ach hakodesh and was at the middle of the storm of events; maybe, he says?  If Mordechai didn't know with certainty, then who am I to say what any event means?

I'll tell you something that does give me tremendous chizuk and is convincing evidence to me that HaShem cares about me and wants the best for me, though.  I wake up.  That blows me away every day (so far).  So much so that when people at work ask me how I am doing, I respond, "I woke up!  With a start like that, everything else is gravy!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc