Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Greatness By Emulation

Most anyone who has ever taken a math, science (real science like physics and chemistry, that is; yes, I'm a physics snob and only include chemistry to be polite), or engineering class has said, "I understand the material, I just can't do the problems."  Every single person who has ever taught one of those classes hears that statement on at least a weekly basis.  My response to that question, by the way, has always been, "Then you don't understand the material."

My response was true in the absolute sense, but a bit insensitive.  (Are you shocked?)  What they meant was that they understood the basic concepts as building blocks, but did not understand how to make them work together.  Something like a person who has never used a computer, but understands that one types on a keyboard, moves and presses buttons (button if you are an Apple snob) on a mouse, and then wonderful things are supposed to happen.  But they don't.

There really is only one way to get from here to there, and that is to do the problems.  The only way to get started on that, however, is to have a mentor.  As important as that is for computers, engineering, math, and physics, it is critical when it comes to the perfection of one's soul.  Except that I haven't seen anyway say this explicitly, I would say that it is not humanly possible to perfect oneself without a mentor.

So Chazal gave us mentors.  The rishonim explain that when a mussar vort is said in someone's name, that someone made it his point live and teach that mussar vort; he became the embodiment of the statement.  This idea brings a new depth to the Chazal (Bava Kama 30a): Rav Yehuda says that a person who wants to the reach the pinnacle of perfection should fufill the teachings of n'zikin (damages), Rava says the the teachings of Pirkei Avos, other say he said the teaching of brachos.  Some have the text as "Ravina" instead of "Rava".  As explained before, the Maharsha does not see this as a machlokes, but as a three pronged approach to perfection.  Work on nizikin to perfect your "bein adam l'chaveiro", brachos to perfect "bein adam la'makom", and Avos to perfect "bein adam l'atzmo".  According to this, we have a fine role model in Rav Yehuda for "bein adam l'chaveiro", but when it comes to a person's self image and his relationship with HaShem, there is less clarity.  Maybe Rava, maybe Ravina; maybe first on self image, maybe first on relationship with HaShem.

Perhaps the message is that working both on one's own self image and his relationship with HaShem is intensely personal.  Moreover, since a person is created "b'tzelem Elokim", working on either self image or relationship with HaShem will bring a person to the same perfection.  It would come out a chiddush, then, that one cannot have a healthy self-image without a healthy relationship to the Creator and Author of Reality Himself.


HaShem, His Torah, and His nation Yisrael are inextricably bound.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Pizza, Uncrustables, and Stuff -- What Bracha?

Many years ago (in fact, more than two decades ago), I called R' Fuerst from my desk at work as I sat down to lunch.  I had a piece of (quite delicious) homemade pizza for lunch.  I nearly always eat at my desk as I am working (or writing TftD...), so my lunch at work cannot in any way be considered as sitting down to a formal meal; aka קביעת סעודה.  That being the case, I wasn't sure whether to wash, say ha'motzi, and bentch; or was the pizza downgraded to a m'zonos.  He told if it was a snack, then it's m'zonos; if a meal the ha'motzi.  Which what I have always done since then.  I recently found out how/why that works. The Shulchan Aruch, 168:17 discusses פשטיד''א, which is describes as a baked dough with meat or fish or cheese.  In other words: pizza.  Note: while the dough doesn't not need to be baked together with the meat/fish/cheese, it is  required that they dough was baked with the intention of making this concoction. ...

Thought for the Day: Yetzer HaRa -- Spiritual Force of Tuma vs Physical Ta'avos

In any project planning, there are two basic approaches: top down and bottom up.  Top down starts with describing what you want done at the highest level that seems reasonable.  You then break that down into a list of things that are smaller in scope (they only accomplish part of the job) and are therefore easier to actually accomplish.  That process can is then repeated with each sub-project.  Each iteration produces a new set of smaller projects.  For any of the projects, the level above provides the "why" for the project of interest, and the projects below provide the "how" for the current project.  Bottom up starts, as it's name suggests, from the lowest level -- here is stuff I know I can do, and proceeds by asking "what can I do by putting this stuff together?" For example, I have a project to slake my thirst.  Top down would start by a requirement to get a cool drink into a container from which I can drink.  That breaks down into: (1) fin...

Thought for the Day: Why Halacha Has "b'di'avad"

There was this Jew who knew every "b'di'avad" (aka, "Biddy Eved", the old spinster librarian) in the book.  When ever he was called on something, his reply was invariably, "biddy eved, it's fine".  When he finally left this world and was welcomed to Olam Haba, he was shown to a little, damp closet with a bare 40W bulb hanging from the ceiling.  He couldn't believe his eyes and said in astonishment, "This is Olam Haba!?!"  "Yes, Reb Biddy Eved,  for you this is Olam Haba." b'di'avad gets used like that; f you don't feel like doing something the best way, do it the next (or less) best way.  But Chazal tell us that "kol ha'omer HaShem vatran, m'vater al chayav" -- anyone who thinks HaShem gives partial credit is fooling himself to death (free translation.  Ok, really, really free translation; but its still true).  HaShem created us and this entire reality for one and only one purpose: for use...