Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Gemara, Halacha, Mussar

R' Dovid Siegel, shlita, once asked me if I really understood what the experience of olam haba is.  Not what it will feel like, just what it is.  (We always have light conversations like that.)  Having been learning for years by that point and feeling confident, I replied, "A person experiences himself, the being he built during his life in this world."  At that point R' Seigel started talking to himself, "I see where he got that idea, M'silas Y'sharim, Derech HaShem.  Maybe it's just the way he's expressing himself?  No; we are in beis medrash, that is certainly what he thinks."  I was wondering what mistake I had made and waiting for the rebbi to enlighten me.  He did.  "Not yourself; that would be intensely and profoundly lonely.  The experience of olam haba is feeling and enjoying the presence of HaKadosh Baruch Hu!"  I could have argued and said that's what I really meant, but what would be the point.  He was right; I had things quite wrong.  Baruch HaShem for the mid-course correction.

So how do you get there?  How do you turn yourself from an olam haze being into an olam haba being?  One answer: live the mitzvos.  Not do the mitzvos, live the mitzvos.   To do that you need halacha to know what to do and mussar to keep reminding yourself how important this all is and the dangers of shirking your obligations.  Then there's gemara.  Let's take a look.

Open up to the first page of the gemara, "From when can you say the evening sh'ma?".  Reasonable question.  The answer ought to be equally reasonable and straightforward; right?  What ensues, however, is something about the kohanim eating t'ruma (wait, who said anything about t'ruma?  And what is t'ruma, anyway?) and the watch of the angels.  Then we have a story about getting back late from a wedding. (Is Rabban Gamliel always up past midnight and ready to launch into a halacha/mussar shi'ur?)  Then we have burning of fats and guts, something about when you can eat korbanos,  What's going on here?  Fortunately, the gemara asks exactly that question, "Who said there is even an obligation to say k'ri'as sh'ma, let alone when to say it?"  Now we're getting somewhere.  "And, besides," says the gemara, "why start with the night time k'ri'as sh'ma?  Why didn't we start with the morning?"  Answer: when describing the creation of the world, HaShem put evening before morning, as in: "There was evening and there was morning; day one."  Wow... that certainly clears things up.

What's going on is that our minds are set solidly in olam haze mode.  Halacha and mussar can mold us, but only if we are malleable.  Gemara takes are stiff minds and shakes things up.  There is no way to learn through even a line or two of gemara without coming out dazed.  So the gemara loosens us up, the halacha brings us into line, and mussar keeps us going.  Go team!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Pizza, Uncrustables, and Stuff -- What Bracha?

Many years ago (in fact, more than two decades ago), I called R' Fuerst from my desk at work as I sat down to lunch.  I had a piece of (quite delicious) homemade pizza for lunch.  I nearly always eat at my desk as I am working (or writing TftD...), so my lunch at work cannot in any way be considered as sitting down to a formal meal; aka קביעת סעודה.  That being the case, I wasn't sure whether to wash, say ha'motzi, and bentch; or was the pizza downgraded to a m'zonos.  He told if it was a snack, then it's m'zonos; if a meal the ha'motzi.  Which what I have always done since then.  I recently found out how/why that works. The Shulchan Aruch, 168:17 discusses פשטיד''א, which is describes as a baked dough with meat or fish or cheese.  In other words: pizza.  Note: while the dough doesn't not need to be baked together with the meat/fish/cheese, it is  required that they dough was baked with the intention of making this concoction. ...

Thought for the Day: Yetzer HaRa -- Spiritual Force of Tuma vs Physical Ta'avos

In any project planning, there are two basic approaches: top down and bottom up.  Top down starts with describing what you want done at the highest level that seems reasonable.  You then break that down into a list of things that are smaller in scope (they only accomplish part of the job) and are therefore easier to actually accomplish.  That process can is then repeated with each sub-project.  Each iteration produces a new set of smaller projects.  For any of the projects, the level above provides the "why" for the project of interest, and the projects below provide the "how" for the current project.  Bottom up starts, as it's name suggests, from the lowest level -- here is stuff I know I can do, and proceeds by asking "what can I do by putting this stuff together?" For example, I have a project to slake my thirst.  Top down would start by a requirement to get a cool drink into a container from which I can drink.  That breaks down into: (1) fin...

Thought for the Day: Why Halacha Has "b'di'avad"

There was this Jew who knew every "b'di'avad" (aka, "Biddy Eved", the old spinster librarian) in the book.  When ever he was called on something, his reply was invariably, "biddy eved, it's fine".  When he finally left this world and was welcomed to Olam Haba, he was shown to a little, damp closet with a bare 40W bulb hanging from the ceiling.  He couldn't believe his eyes and said in astonishment, "This is Olam Haba!?!"  "Yes, Reb Biddy Eved,  for you this is Olam Haba." b'di'avad gets used like that; f you don't feel like doing something the best way, do it the next (or less) best way.  But Chazal tell us that "kol ha'omer HaShem vatran, m'vater al chayav" -- anyone who thinks HaShem gives partial credit is fooling himself to death (free translation.  Ok, really, really free translation; but its still true).  HaShem created us and this entire reality for one and only one purpose: for use...