Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Teaching Emuna to Generations

The parasha of Noach start by telling us (B'reishis 6:9): These are the generations of Noach; Noach was perfectly righteous in his generation. Rashi chooses to explain the simple meaning of the verse by taking some of the words out of context and fooling with the punctuation (Rashi is quoting a Chazal, so he is on solid ground, of course): "These are the generations of Noach: Noach." -- to tell us the main generations/progeny of a person is his good deeds.

Without doubt an important and insightful exegesis by our Sages, of blessed memory. However, Rashi (as the rav himself says several times) is to explain the simple/apparent meaning of the verses. How does this qualify for "simple/apparent" meaning? I know that is a good question, because the Gur Aryeh asks it. I know the Gur Aryeh asks the question because a friend made that the cornerstone of his speech at sheva brachos for a mutual friend of ours last night. I was really looking forward to hearing the answer (my friend is an engaging and interesting speaker). Unfortunately, I had been asked by host to also speak. That is, the host asked me to speak after my friend just minutes before my friend got up to speak. I was therefore deep in thought about what to say while he was explaining how the Gur Aryeh understands why Rashi chose that statement of our Sages as the simple and apparent meaning of the verse.

None the less, I like the question. Even better, I lived an example of this principle just before Sukkos this year. We were fortunate to have all of our grandchildren with us for the first days of Sukkos. We have a beautiful Sukkah -- our deck -- that easily accommodated the 14 or so people we had for the Yom Tov meals. We have had only one some issue over the years. We have never had a proper barrier at location of the gate (approx six feet wide) in the back of the deck. Hence, it can get very cold when the wind whips up. This year was early, but we had a lot of babies this year. (By "babies", I include the adults who whine excessively about the cold.) So, with little time and even less money (the budget was stretched pretty tight this year with all those extra people, after all), I headed to Home Depot with my eldest granddaughter (who is approaching bas mitzvah age this Pesach, bli ayin hara).

We are looking and trying to figure out an economic and effective means to construct a proper removable (of course; the kids have to get out to play in the back yard!) barrier. I finally said, "You know, honey, I think we should go ahead and spend the money to get proper doors. It may be expensive, but it's for a mitzvah; so it is off budget." I said those words because that is what Chazal tell us and I believe it. Really... I really do believe it. Ok, ok... I pay the bills, so I know how stretched things are. But I really do believe it. I do. I really didn't see a good alternative and I was going to need to spend the money anyway, so I figured I may as well add a statement of emunah. I think I even sounded sincere.

We got to the check out register and the checker asked me if I had a Home Depot credit card. I said that I didn't (meaning: I don't have it with me and I am in a hurry). She said, "Great! I can sign you up for one right now. It will only take five minutes and you will get 50$ off this purchase." Ok... I fessed up, "I probably actually have one somewhere, I just don't have it here." The checker, undaunted, said: "No problem! I can still sign you up for a new one and you'll still get the 50$ off this purchase." My mouth dropped in amazement at this good fortune. My granddaughter's eyes got big and wide as she saw this Chazal verified right in front of her!

My Sukkah was nice and cozy for just 20$. My granddaughter got a life lesson. For an 11 year old Beis Yaakov girl, that wasn't just a cute event. That transformed her belief in the veracity of Chazal from emunah to knowledge. Even more... seeing her reaction transformed my belief in the veracity of Chazal from emunah to knowledge. My good deed and my progeny beautifully merged.

I am going to have to look up that Gur Aryeh some day....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc