Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Davening Mincha Followed By Ma'ariv

In fifth grade or so, the teacher told us one day that she expected our handwriting on spelling tests to be legible (what?!).  She was particularly annoyed with those of use (who?  me?) that wrote our cursive a's and o's intentionally ambiguous (that is, a circle with the trailing connector about midway -- not at bottom to be a definitive a, not at top to be a definitive o).  I was pretty annoyed myself, as I thought I was being pretty clever.  Not the last time I discovered that my innovative approach was a well worn subterfuge.

In a TftD some time ago, I mentioned the תרתי דסתרי of davening ma'ariv immediately after mincha.  I left things intentionally vague there because I as I wrote the TftD, I realized that I was not at all clear on all the details.  Luckily, it was not being graded by Miss Schneider; and, anyway, it was clear enough for the point I wanted to make anyway.  I have since done my homework and checked the answer key (ie, called R' Fuerst, shlita), and I am ready to report.

The basic issue is easy to state:  The time of the afternoon service is set according to the daily continual offering; aka קרבן תמיד.  That offering was the last of the day, so it could be made a different times depending on how many sin and thanksgiving offerings were on that slate (slab...) that day.  Generally speaking, though, it was not made before 3:30PM; that time is known as מנחה קטנה (small mincha, as opposed to the  מנחה גדולה/big mincha which is at 12:30PM; the terms big and small refer to the relative amount of time you have left to daven mincha).  For ease, I am using a 12 hour day that begins as 6:00AM and ends at 6:00PM; appropriate adjustments are needed throughout the year.

Now:  R' Yehuda permits davening mincha until פלג המנחה (affectionately also know as simply, פלג) and ma'ariv any time after that.  The Sages permit davening mincha until nightfall and ma'ariv any time after that.  So far so good.  There is a small issue: there is a discussion about whether day starts as dawn or sunrise; we're going to ignore that for now.  The much bigger issue is when to put nightfall.  There is a raging machlokes among the poskim about whether nightfall is at שקיעה/sunset or צית הכוכבים/the coming out of the stars (affectionately also know as simply, צית).  (There is another machlokes about what שקיעה means that I am also going to conveniently ignore for now.)

So the only way to make everyone happy is to daven mincha before פלג and ma'ariv after צית.  Most of us fat, rich Americans, however, are too busy to do thing the best way when it comes to spirituality, so we daven mincha and then immediately follow with ma'ariv and thereby get it all out of the way with one trip to shul.  (Yes, I mean to stress that this is not optimal; yes, I also do it, as do a good many rabonim.)  Next best is to be good according to at least some people; so either before and after פלג or before and after שקיעה.  Actually, before and after שקיעה is a bit better because at least some people consider nightfall to begin at שקיעה, whereas no one considers nightfall to begin at פלג.  After that, you are pretty much equally good (or bad, depending on if your glass is half full or half empty) whenever you daven, as long as mincha is definitely before שקיעה and ma'ariv is definitely after פלג.  There is some wiggle room with mincha and שקיעה (about 30 minutes or so... very, very only good after the fact and in a stressful situation), but there is no wiggle room at all with ma'ariv before פלג.

Then there are all the issues about tachanun after שקיעה and when to do a "heicha k'dusha".  Also important to stress: all this wiggle room is for a minyan, not an individual.  See?  You can't cover all this in three paragraphs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc