Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Accomplishment and Role Model; Come From the Outside In

We are very organized at the k'vasikin minyan on Chicago.  To be more precise, our master of ceremonies is very organized and keeps us on track.  Take Purim, for example.  We all want to daven correctly and with enthusiastic decorum.  On the other hand, immediately after kriyas ha'megila, of course, we all want to get busy with the next mitvah of the day -- mishloach manos ish l'rei'eihu.  Since many or our friends are right there, it is efficient to make the deliveries right there... which until a couple of years ago led to quite a bilbul during uva l'tzion till the end of davening.  An executive decision was made a few years ago to put baskets in the lunch room labeled the names of the regulars; after kriyas ha'm'gila mishloach manos can be delivered very efficiently.

This year I had a great idea, a chahp, as it were.  I got there early and figured I'd just drop mine deliveries off before davening.  Don't worry, it was before alos ha'shachar, so I wasn't running afoul of doing my work (instead of HaShem's) before davening; though it is arguable, of course, that the mitzvah of delivering mishloach manos is also HaShem's work -- but I was clearly doing this for my own convenience, so I am still glad it was before alos ha'shachar.  Anyway, as I was about to drop in my first package, one of my chaveirim reminded me that the "sh'he'chiyanu" this morning goes on the other mitzvos of the day.  Ah, right.... hmm.... I know that's only extra credit (we're going to make a sh'he'chiyanu anyway) and even if someone missed that bracha (but still heard the entire k'riya) he would not make a sh'he'chiyanu on just the rest of the mitzvos of the day... but still... hmm... Aha!  I'll just do all but one!  That way I can be efficient and still do the mitzvah l'chatchila.  So I went back to dropping my first one in, when another chaver said, "What if someone sees you do that and doesn't realize that you are keeping one back for later and therefore gives all his before davening?"  C'mon, I said, someone cares what I do?

Actually, Rashi says that they do.  Not only that, Rashi says that I personally am a big problem precisely for doing things like that.  Chazal say that "kashe geirim l'yisrael mi'sapachas"/geirim are harder on Klal Yisrael than a nasty skin disease.  Rashi's explanation is that geirim -- since they didn't grow up as observant Jews -- will make mistakes, and Jews will be led astray.  Fine; I can't argue with Rashi (he's not my zeidy, after all).  So apparently I do have to be careful about doing things that could be misinterpreted.

Why would people care more about what a ger is doing than any other Jew, though?  (As that is the inference from this Chazal/Rashi.)  One reason might be because a ger never does anything just because "that's what I always did"; since he doesn't have any of those.  That means he usually know why he's doing something; it might be wrong, but it's easy to find that out.  Another reason is that a ger is by definition someone who actively decided to reject his heritage and embrace the Torah.  You can't do that without passion, and passion sticks out; it may stick out like a sore thumb, but it certainly sticks out.

One morning some chaveirim were learning the gemara in Yevamos that discusses the, shall we say, ger issue.  They were learning at normal volume, and I couldn't help but listen in.  As they noticed they said, "We thought about learning this quietly, but we figured you wouldn't mind; besides, we don't think of you as a ger anyway."  Of course I didn't mind, but I should be considered a ger; I worked hard and continue to work hard to uproot the non/anti-Torah influences in my psyche and embrace the Torah.  I am justifiably proud of that hard work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc