Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: T'shuva, Torah, and Monotheism

I am not great at pure mathematics.  Pure mathematics is all about theorems and proofs.  I am much better at practical math, like we use in theoretical physics.  (Don't mind me, I'm just solidifying my nerd status.)  None the less, I needed to take some advanced math classes in graduate school.  After struggling for a few weeks, I finally discovered the issue: I can't prove something I don't believe.  (That means, of course, that I will never make a good mathematician nor politician; I can live with that.)  The only way I could ever rigorously prove anything was to first spend some time learning how to believe it was true.  Once I believed it, I could sit down to do the work to prove it.

It comes out there were three steps: know intellectually that something was true, then work to get a gut feel that it was true, and finally do the work to rigorously prove it was true.  I just saw a Mabit that tells me I was learning in graduate school how to be a Jew.  The Mabit, in his discussion of t'shuva, notes that t'shuva is an all encompassing mitzvah.  That is, even though t'shuva is motivated by a particular sin, the t'shuva itself is not just the fulfillment of a mitzvah in HaShem's Torah, it is actually movement toward HaShem Himself.  There are two other mitzvos like that, in fact: talmud torah and denial of other gods (ie, believing in monotheism).

The Mabit goes further and notes the most astounding correspondence between our physical selves, our spiritual selves, and these mitzvos.  Monotheism corresponds to the highest level of our neshama, the seichal/intellect, which finds its home in our brain.  Talmud torah, without which no avodas HaShem is possible is connected with our leiv/mind, which finds its home in our heart.  T'shuva is connected with the most basic feelings of wanting to return to our Father/Creator and its home is in the kidneys.

All three -- a clear, intellectual knowledge of the Truth, an emotional stirring to move toward that Truth, and a plan to get there -- are all crucial elements in becoming a perfected being.  As we say in Aleinu (d'varim 4:39): You shall know intellectually and clearly today not later, this is urgent and place into your mind learning and using the Torah as a guide that HaShem is G-d in heaven above and the earth below; there is none other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Thanking HaShem Each and Every Day for Solid Land Near Water

Each and every morning, a Jew is supposed to view himself as a new/renewed creation, ready for a new day of building his eternal self through Torah and mitzvos.  We begin the day with 16 brachos to praise/thank/acknowledge HaShem for giving us all the tools we need to succeed.  We have a body, soul, and intellect.  We have vision, mobility, and protection from the elements.  Among those brachos, we have one that perhaps seems a bit out of place: רוקע הארץ על המים/Who spreads out the land on/over the water.  After all, it's nice to have a dry place to walk, but does that compare to the gratitude I have for a working body and vision?  As it turns out, I should; as explained by the R' Rajchenbach, rosh kollel of Kollel Zichron Eliyahu (aka, Peterson Park Kollel).  Your best bet is to listen to the shiur; very distant second is to continue, which I hope will whet your appetite for the real thing.

First... since we have dry land, I don't have to slog to work through even a foot…

Thought for the Day: Using a Mitzvah Object for Non-Mitzvah Purposes

As I am -- Baruch HaShem -- getting older, I am more cognizant of the fact that I'd like to stay as healthy as possible right up the moment I leave this world.  Stuff hurting is not the problem (I am told there is an old Russian saying that once you are 40, if you wake up and nothing hurts -- you're dead), stuff not working, however, is a problem.  To that end, for several years now I commute to work by bicycle (weather permitting, 30 minutes on an elliptical machine when weather does not permit).  I recently took up some upper body weight training.  Not because I want to be governor of California, just simply to slow down loss of bone mass and extend my body's healthy span.  Simple hishtadlus.  I have an 18 month old grandson who is just the right weight for arm curls (yes... I am that weak), so I do about 10 reps when I greet him at night.  He laughs, I get my exercise; all good.  (Main problem is explaining to the older ones why zeidy can't give them the same "…

Thought for the Day: Hydroponically Grown Humans... I Feel Sick

I am quite openly not at all objective about abortion in particular and the treatment of human embryos and fetuses in general.  I am, after all, the survivor of a failed abortion attempt.  Not "thought about it, but couldn't go through with it"; not "made appointment, but then chickened out at the lost moment"; but, "tried a procedure, but was unsuccessful in attempt to abort".  Nonetheless, I try very hard to listen to the liberal arguments (which I also used to chant as part of the general liberal catechism), and am genuinely empathetic to the plight of women who find themselves in that difficult position.

What I heard on NPR this morning, however, has left me feeling physically ill.  You can read about it, if you like, but here's the bottom line:  Scientists in Cambridge have achieved a new record, they fertilized a human ova and then kept it alive in vitro (that is, in a test tube/petri dish in a laboratory) for 14 days.  The scientist involve…