Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Reshelve S'farim After Use

I ran across this really cool and interesting gemara.  (I know, I know... what gemara isn't totally cool and interesting, right?  Take it as poetic license.)    It has everything: theft, court room drama, suspense, and a final surprise ending!  By the time you get to the two dots you're emotionally drained and feeling that kind of deep exhaustion that comes from any hard won victory.  Of course, I really want to shout all about this from the roof tops.  Well... e-shout from my blog, anyway.

Of course, I don't want to do that until I have a really good understanding, so my chavrusa and I sat down to the three or four Tosofoses (Tosofosim?) on the subject.  We felt we had a good chance because each Tosofos was huge; only a small section of the daf was dedicated to gemara and Rashi.  Usually when the tosofos is large you (I, that is) have a better chance because it means Tosofos was feeling chatty that day and put in all the details.  Unfortunately, Tosofos never in his collective wildest dreams expected to be talking to someone like me who doesn't have Shas on his fingertips.  So Tosofos starts out setting up the question by quoting the one line in a complex discussion in another masechta that he needs.

Fortunately (again, for and my ilk), we have a complete set of Art Scroll Shas in the back of the Brisk beis medrash.  Also fortunately, we (being all Briskers and/or k'Vasikiners) keep them in order.  Unfortunately, the one I needed was missing.  I saw the place it should have been... now forlorn and empty.  I scoured the beis medrash; no luck.  My chavrusa took a look; no dice.  I am sure a total of five or more minutes of quality learning time were lost forever.  Dejected, we sat down to move on, but with that uneasy feeling that we hadn't completely gotten p'shat.  Also dejected that I wouldn't be able to write up this awesome gemara.

We finally did find it, by the way.  It was in the lunch room, where I had gone to refill my coffee cup.  Apparently someone had been learning there and then left.  Unconcerned that someone else might need that gemara.  In fact, he may have even felt that he was saving himself precious minutes of having to walk to the shelf to put the gemara back when he would just need it again the next time he chanced by the beid medrash.  Or, he may have felt that if he put it back on the shelf someone else might use it and then it wouldn't be available to him.

Anyway... since we did find the gemara (eventually), I can now write about it.  Or, rather, I could have written about it, but I've run out of time and space for today.

R' Yisrael Salanter, ztz"l, was once asked what was the single most important action one needed to take after learning mussar to be sure the lessons became fixed in his soul and not just relegated to another fleeting feeling of inspiration.  He answered with all seriousness, "Put the sefer back on the shelf."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc