Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Building a Relationship with HaShem One Interaction at a Time

The only entities in this entire universe who are cuter and more precocious than my grandchildren are my children. (My son-in-laws don't actually believe, but they'll find out when they have their own grandchildren, בעזרת השם.) Nonetheless, I have learned that there are many people who do not recognize that truth, and they seem quite unwilling to be educated. As a consequence, I rarely share pictures of and stories about my grandchildren with my colleagues at work. Unless, of course, the cuteness and/or precociousness exhibited in the picture/video/incident is just so blatant that only the most boorish of human being could be immune and fail to recognize above stated truth. (Shockingly, I have run across such boors. Too bad for them.)

Such as this one. My wife and I do our grocery shopping on Sunday mornings (after R' Fuerst's always fascinating Sunday morning shiur on contemporary halachic topics; archives at psak.org and also at Torah Anytime; you're welcome). We've done that for years; it's nice, it's convenient. Recently we've been taking our three year old grandson with us. It gets him out of the house for awhile, gives his mother a break, we get him a cookie at the bakery (they adore him); it's nice, it's convenient.

I got a call from my daughter the other morning, she was cracking up... told me she had a little extra time that morning so decided to go grocery shopping on the way to dropping the three year old at the day care. "We are going to the grocery store first," she told him. "I go grocery shopping with Bubbie and Zeidy," he replied. She let it go. Then he asked, "Where is the bridge?" "We are going a different way." "I don't like this way." She let it go. "This isn't the grocery store!" "It's a different store." "I don't like this store." Then he wanted a cookie and was very unhappy to learn that they don't have cookies for adorable little three year olds there. All in all a very unsatisfying trip from my grandson, who let his mother know -- as only a three year old can -- just how unsatisfied he was.

I told a few people at work. They all liked the story and all responded, "Wow... he obviously likes going with you; what a nice relationship with your grandson!"

We do lots of things because we have a relationship. We celebrate birthdays, we go to museums, we go to the park; you know; stuff. All those things are because of the relationship. But how does that relationship itself get built in the first place? More than that -- much, much more than that -- how does not doing something together also become part of that relationship? It's those little mundane, nice, and convenient activities. They certainly are convenient and nice, but we also most certainly are choosing to them with those we love because we want to experience being with them. The fact of choosing to interact even for mundane activities simply to experience that feeling of love and closeness builds and strengthens the relationship like nothing else.

I put on my right shoe first and then my left shoe; then tie my left shoe and then my right shoe. I reverse that procedure to take them off. I put on my right Neo (over boot) first and also fasten the clasp; then I put on the left Neo and tighten its clasp. I reverse that procedure when I take them off. HaShem cares which order I put on, tie, clasp, and remove my shoes and boots? Well... that is the halacha. In fact, it is one of my favorite halachos. Making kiddush, eating matzah, sitting in a sukkah... those are all big things we do because of my relationship with HaShem. How do we build that relationship and make every moment of our lives part of that relationship? The fact of choosing to interact even for mundane activities simply to experience that feeling of love and closeness builds and strengthens the relationship like nothing else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: What Category of Muktzeh are Our Candles?

As discussed in a recent TftD , a p'sak halacha quite surprising to many, that one may -- even לכתחילה -- decorate a birthday cake with (unlit, obviously) birthday candles on Shabbos. That p'sak is predicated on another p'sak halacha; namely, that our candles are muktzeh because they are a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not  מוקצה מחמת גופו/intrinsically set aside from any use on Shabbos. They point there was that using the candle as a decoration qualifies as a need that allows one to utilize a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור. Today we will discuss the issue of concluding that our candles are , in fact, a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not מוקצה מחמת גופו. Along the way we'll also (again) how important it is to have personal relationship with your rav/posek, the importance of precision in vocabulary, and how to interpret the Mishna Brura.  Buckle up. After reviewing siman 308 and the Mishna Brura there, I concluded that it should be permissible to use birthday candles to decorate a cake on Shabbo