Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Taking Pesach into the Rest of the Year

I have seen a few explanations of what we are supposed to learn from ridding our selves of chameitz for the week of Pesach, but none of them really "sang" to me... until this year, that is. To put it in context, though, consider my walk to shul on erev Pesach. It was still before dawn break, and quite cloudy (though warm... ahhh...). The clouds parted near the horizon and revealed a beautiful nearly full moon. Besides the beauty of the pre-dawn sky, I was also suddenly reminded that I hadn't yet had a chance to say kiddush levana (having been in cloudy Chicago since rosh chodesh). Fortunately, I have a siddur app on my smart phone; so I was able to recite kiddush levana there and then.  As I finished aleinu, I looked back up to see the beautiful moon again, but the clouds had moved back and obscured my view once again.

Now, I enjoy hashgacha pratis stories as much as the next guy, but this was almost spooky. I walked the rest of the way to shul with that same feeling you have when siting a police car in the rear-view mirror. That slightly uneasy feeling of being watched stayed with me through davening, but I was finally able to shake it on the walk home. Of course, as soon as I "shook it", I wanted it back. I mean, that's that we are constantly striving to attain, right? Being able to actually feel HaShem's presence? We want that, right? Right?

In theory, of course, I absolutely do want to feel HaShem's presence; to turn belief and faith into knowledge and sensation. In practice, though, the feeling (the rare times I am able to achieve it) has a disconcerting dimension.  I am not anywhere close to where I should be or even want to be. That feeling of closeness -- as much as I do truly desire it -- is not something that I can (yet) live with 24/7.

That's why we have Pesach. The difference between matzah and bread is really one thing: To make matzah, from the time the water hits the flour till the finished product is removed from the oven, it is never left alone. Every moment in matzah baking is active and involved. Bread? Mix ingredients, do some work, let it sit to do its thing, do more work, then let it sit to do its thing some more, then a bit more work, then in the oven to sit until baked. For one week a year, we imbibe hashgacha pratis with each bite.

What can we do to bring that into the rest of the year and slowly raise our awareness of HaShem's constant presence? I heard a wonderful thought on this from R' Naftali Kalter (now of Boca Raton, although he was in Chicago way back when) at N'ilas HeChag/Shalosh S'udos: Don't take this wondrous world for granted. When you grasp something with your hand, marvel at the incredible design that gives both strength and dexterity to your fingers. When the doctor explains your aches and pains, take a moment to reflect on they myriad of (not so) tiny miracles that keep you healthy and combat sickness.

Each year at Pesach we get a chance to experience a renewed closeness with HaShem, then the rest of the year is spent in retaining just a bit, so the next year can start just a bit higher, and from there to ... etc, etc, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Pizza, Uncrustables, and Stuff -- What Bracha?

Many years ago (in fact, more than two decades ago), I called R' Fuerst from my desk at work as I sat down to lunch.  I had a piece of (quite delicious) homemade pizza for lunch.  I nearly always eat at my desk as I am working (or writing TftD...), so my lunch at work cannot in any way be considered as sitting down to a formal meal; aka קביעת סעודה.  That being the case, I wasn't sure whether to wash, say ha'motzi, and bentch; or was the pizza downgraded to a m'zonos.  He told if it was a snack, then it's m'zonos; if a meal the ha'motzi.  Which what I have always done since then.  I recently found out how/why that works. The Shulchan Aruch, 168:17 discusses פשטיד''א, which is describes as a baked dough with meat or fish or cheese.  In other words: pizza.  Note: while the dough doesn't not need to be baked together with the meat/fish/cheese, it is  required that they dough was baked with the intention of making this concoction. ...

Thought for the Day: Yetzer HaRa -- Spiritual Force of Tuma vs Physical Ta'avos

In any project planning, there are two basic approaches: top down and bottom up.  Top down starts with describing what you want done at the highest level that seems reasonable.  You then break that down into a list of things that are smaller in scope (they only accomplish part of the job) and are therefore easier to actually accomplish.  That process can is then repeated with each sub-project.  Each iteration produces a new set of smaller projects.  For any of the projects, the level above provides the "why" for the project of interest, and the projects below provide the "how" for the current project.  Bottom up starts, as it's name suggests, from the lowest level -- here is stuff I know I can do, and proceeds by asking "what can I do by putting this stuff together?" For example, I have a project to slake my thirst.  Top down would start by a requirement to get a cool drink into a container from which I can drink.  That breaks down into: (1) fin...

Thought for the Day: Why Halacha Has "b'di'avad"

There was this Jew who knew every "b'di'avad" (aka, "Biddy Eved", the old spinster librarian) in the book.  When ever he was called on something, his reply was invariably, "biddy eved, it's fine".  When he finally left this world and was welcomed to Olam Haba, he was shown to a little, damp closet with a bare 40W bulb hanging from the ceiling.  He couldn't believe his eyes and said in astonishment, "This is Olam Haba!?!"  "Yes, Reb Biddy Eved,  for you this is Olam Haba." b'di'avad gets used like that; f you don't feel like doing something the best way, do it the next (or less) best way.  But Chazal tell us that "kol ha'omer HaShem vatran, m'vater al chayav" -- anyone who thinks HaShem gives partial credit is fooling himself to death (free translation.  Ok, really, really free translation; but its still true).  HaShem created us and this entire reality for one and only one purpose: for use...