Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: P'shat, Sod, and All That

I occasionally get new ties from my son (hand me ups).  I one time came downstairs wearing one of the new (to me) ties and my son noted, "Wow!  You did a great job of picking a tie to match that suit!"  (I am not known for my fashion sense, so this was noteworthy.)  I looked down as the tie and said, "You mean it is possible for a tie not to match a suit?"  A bit crestfallen, but at the same time reassured that you really can rely on some things, my son just shook his head and walked away.  I am about to talk about shoulder straps, so I wanted to first put my fashion knowledge into perspective.

One of the talmidim of the Gr"a, R' Menachem Mendel, said about his rebbie that the Gr"a would not give p'shat in a pasuk in mishlei until he fully understood the sod.  The "pardeis" acronym for p'sukim is well known and usually described as follows.  Any verse in Torah can be explained in four levels: p'shat (simple meaning), remez (hint; a tangential meaning), drush (exposition; barely connected, but makes for a nice d'var torah at the shabbos table), sod (secret/mystical; so cool).  There seems to be very little connection between the pasuk and the sod at all, let alone to its p'shat.  And, after all, p'shat is p'shat; what does it mean that the Gr"a couldn't explain even the surface meaning without knowing the secret, underlying meanings?

I have a fashion mashal to explain this.  (Right; but give me a chance. k?)  On some overcoats there are is a small piece of cloth on each of the shoulders that is sewn on the proximal end and buttoned on the distal end.  (Impressive vocabulary; no?  That's to make up for for the abysmal dearth of fashion knowledge.)  These bits of cloth are called, interestingly enough, shoulder straps.  Why are they there?  That, of course, depends on who is wearing the coat.  If it is a soldier, they are used to hold his beret, keep the straps of his backpack from slipping, etc.  If he is a general, they may be used to display his rank stars or to hold his epaulettes.  If he is a business man, he may feel that style of coat presents the best image to his colleagues, workers, and customers.  If he is a college student, they might mean nothing at all; they just happened to be on the coat he got from the military surplus store.  Before I can begin to  know what those two little pieces of cloth mean, I need to know at least something about who is filling the coat.  The more I understand about the person filling the coat, the more I will know about the shoulder straps and the more the shoulder straps will tell me about the person who is wearing the coat.

Just to end with a bit of a teaser, the Ramban (on b'reishis 18:19) says that knowledge of HaShem comes from appreciating the details of His management of the low and physical world.  So appreciating hashgacha as understood through the body of Torah is knowledge of HaShem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Pizza, Uncrustables, and Stuff -- What Bracha?

Many years ago (in fact, more than two decades ago), I called R' Fuerst from my desk at work as I sat down to lunch.  I had a piece of (quite delicious) homemade pizza for lunch.  I nearly always eat at my desk as I am working (or writing TftD...), so my lunch at work cannot in any way be considered as sitting down to a formal meal; aka קביעת סעודה.  That being the case, I wasn't sure whether to wash, say ha'motzi, and bentch; or was the pizza downgraded to a m'zonos.  He told if it was a snack, then it's m'zonos; if a meal the ha'motzi.  Which what I have always done since then.  I recently found out how/why that works. The Shulchan Aruch, 168:17 discusses פשטיד''א, which is describes as a baked dough with meat or fish or cheese.  In other words: pizza.  Note: while the dough doesn't not need to be baked together with the meat/fish/cheese, it is  required that they dough was baked with the intention of making this concoction. ...

Thought for the Day: Yetzer HaRa -- Spiritual Force of Tuma vs Physical Ta'avos

In any project planning, there are two basic approaches: top down and bottom up.  Top down starts with describing what you want done at the highest level that seems reasonable.  You then break that down into a list of things that are smaller in scope (they only accomplish part of the job) and are therefore easier to actually accomplish.  That process can is then repeated with each sub-project.  Each iteration produces a new set of smaller projects.  For any of the projects, the level above provides the "why" for the project of interest, and the projects below provide the "how" for the current project.  Bottom up starts, as it's name suggests, from the lowest level -- here is stuff I know I can do, and proceeds by asking "what can I do by putting this stuff together?" For example, I have a project to slake my thirst.  Top down would start by a requirement to get a cool drink into a container from which I can drink.  That breaks down into: (1) fin...

Thought for the Day: Why Halacha Has "b'di'avad"

There was this Jew who knew every "b'di'avad" (aka, "Biddy Eved", the old spinster librarian) in the book.  When ever he was called on something, his reply was invariably, "biddy eved, it's fine".  When he finally left this world and was welcomed to Olam Haba, he was shown to a little, damp closet with a bare 40W bulb hanging from the ceiling.  He couldn't believe his eyes and said in astonishment, "This is Olam Haba!?!"  "Yes, Reb Biddy Eved,  for you this is Olam Haba." b'di'avad gets used like that; f you don't feel like doing something the best way, do it the next (or less) best way.  But Chazal tell us that "kol ha'omer HaShem vatran, m'vater al chayav" -- anyone who thinks HaShem gives partial credit is fooling himself to death (free translation.  Ok, really, really free translation; but its still true).  HaShem created us and this entire reality for one and only one purpose: for use...