Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Nothing Is Mundane About Torah

Can you just imagine the vast breadth of questions that R' Fuerst, shlita, must get every day? People call out of the blue, and the rabbi is expected to just have the answer to each question. The wait on hold ("one minute; other line") is nearly always longer than the time it takes to ask the question and get the answer. In fact, it usually takes longer to ask the question itself than to get the entire answer. I had two questions recently that reminded (again) about how fortunate we are to have such ready access to a posek of the caliber of R' Fuerst.

Question #1: When a person has surgery and parts are removed, does one need to ask them to be retained so they can be buried? Does it make a difference if it is an entire אבר/organ/limb or "just" an  integral component of said אבר? (As an aside, one certainly can ask to have any removed parts or devices retained and returned. Stop by and I will happily show you the port-a-cath through which the chemotherapy that cured my cancer was delivered more than 20 years ago.) I asked the question because when this came up (err... out) for me some 20 years ago and I did have an entire אבר removed (non-critical, obviously), I was told to retrieve it for burial.

The answer was that R' Moshe apparently changed his mind; a fact that only came to light after my surgery 20 years ago. While R' Fuerst said that one might make a distinction between a complete אבר and a sub-component, in either case it can just be thrown away. (The rabbi's words :) ) The rabbi said further that it was an interesting case, because in the later responsa, R' Moshe didn't even refer to his earlier responsa. A complete reversal, which is unusual for R' Moshe.

Question #2: May one use a vegetable peeler on Shabbos? The question is, of course, because of בורר/selection. As is well known, improving food be removing the undesirable parts, or for later use, or with a specially designed instrument is forbidden on Shabbos. Removing the peel of a vegetable is certainly removing something undesirable, but that is permitted in this case because it is otherwise impossible to get to the desirable part of the food. (Ditto for removing a banana peel.)  Of course, this would only be permitted for immediate consumption. (No, would not be permitted even before going to shul to be ready for consumption on return from shul.) The only remaining question is whether the vegetable peeler is considered an instrument specifically and specially designed for בורר/selection purposes, or it is just a funny shaped knife?

I had heard, in the name of R' Moshe, that a vegetable peeler is just a funny shaped knife and its use is perfectly permissible. I had, therefore, so paskened for a friend. (Yes; I can do that now... so cool.)

As it turns out, though, there is a disagreement among the poskim on this. R' Ribiat amazing work on Shabbos says it is forbidden to use a vegetable peeler. No dissenting opinions. Now, one of the features of R' Ribiat's work is the excellent foot-/end-notes. I am particularly impressed because he quotes whole sections and not just the few words he needs as a source. However, they are all in Hebrew, so not everyone checks them out. In any case, I did. Foot-/End-note 125 quotes the אגלי טל as  forbidding a vegetable peeler. Then there is one more sentence (my translation): I have heard that R' Moshe permits a vegetable peeler, but I haven't found that in the Igros Moshe. "Ha!", thought I... "there's my opening!"

I asked R' Fuerst and he confirmed: a vegetable peeler is just a funny shaped knife and perfectly permissible to use on Shabbos. He didn't even mention a dissenting opinion :)

Two important lessons. First, just because you asked a question 20 years ago, doesn't mean you don't need to ask again. Second, you need to have a rav with breadth and depth, who keeps up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc