Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Evil Begins with Simple Solutions and Simple Solutions are the Beginning of Evil

I started this blogging activity when I was watching my mother die. It was the first time I was in a situation where I could absolutely do nothing but sit there and watch as events lead to the inevitable conclusion. I needed to do something, but there was nothing to do. So I started writing; thoughts, feelings, ideas... anything to keep myself occupied. It was not to distract myself from the situation, but to channel the energy. (Someday,  בעזרת השם, I'll put those notes into a more accessible form.)

I found that writing was good for me, so I decided to continue. My first thought was to have two blogs. One entitled "Life is a Journey" for my own musings, and this one for my divrei Torah. I found, though, that I just couldn't separate my thoughts from the Torah perspective that I have strived (and continue to strive) so hard to cultivate. Today's thought is more in the "Life is a Journey" mold. Not an apology; just noting.

To jump right in, as much as I have been horrified by the mass shootings in recent times, I have also been horrified by the tone of the controversy they have engendered. No one, no one, wants these shootings. Everyone, everyone, wants to solve them to stop. However, no seems to be talking about the problem; only the symptoms. The problem, of course, is that it enters anyone's mind that it is ok to kill other people. That's the problem we need to solve; but that's hard, so people would rather talk about gun control. I am not saying, of course, that gun control is not part of the solution; but touting it as the solution without a holistic policy is reckless and dangerous.

I had cancer over 20 years ago. The tumor was in my abdomen and over 10 lbs by the time it was discovered. Even though it originated from the inside of my back, it was large enough that the surgeon was able to get a biopsy in his office. (Saving me a hospital visit. Yay.) Obvious solution would have been to go in right then and there to cut that sucker out. I'd probably be dead or handicapped now if they had done that. There was another problem... the tumor was fast growing (it had not been detectable just a few months earlier), and it was already wrapped around my femoral artery and crowding my kidneys.

What was the course? First we waited two weeks (two very long weeks, for me) to get an accurate diagnosis. I was told that there would be no surgery, but a course of chemotherapy. (My poor mother heard "so surgery" and started crying that her son had inoperable cancer.) Three months of chemotherapy. One week one, two weeks off; times four. Why those two weeks off every course? Because if they killed the tumor more quickly, I would have died from the lump of dead and rotting tumor in my gut.

The first people, Adam and Chava, were told to eat from all the trees and vegetation in the garden, except one: the tree of knowledge of good and evil. To eat from that tree, they were told, would bring death to the world. There was also a tree of life. Why did they not eat from the fruit of that tree first, to -- so to speak -- inoculate themselves against death? The tree of life is Torah. Acquiring Torah is hard work; learning and implementing, learning and implementing... lesson by lesson. With that they would have understood everything -- including knowledge of good and evil. But they wanted a shortcut; download the knowledge instead of digesting it. They wanted the quick and easy solution to understanding their Creator. We are all living and dying with the consequences of their decision till today.

At it's core, evil means to choose tasty over nutritious; which translates into immediate gratification over a healthy living. Healthy living, of course, provides real and lasting benefits, but it takes work... and, ultimately, is the only route to life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc