Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Please Take the COVID-19 Pandemic Seriously

Here is my hope and expectation: When I stand in front of the the Creator of the World for my final judgment, I will be roundly chided: "Michael, Michael, Michael... don't you think you were overreacting a bit -- let's be honest, way more than a bit, like over the top -- to the COVID-19 outbreak in 5780?" I am pray for that embarrassment, because I know with certainty that I don't want to be held responsible for even one murder.

Let's put this in perspective. On Monday, March 16, 2020 CE, there were 100,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 outside of China (which seems to have finally leveled off). On Tuesday there were 116,000; an increase of 16,000; taking the conservative mortality rate of 1%, that means 160 deaths. Not much out of a population of 3 billion. On Wednesday, there were 18,000 more case; 180 more deaths. Thursday, 28,000 more; 280 more deaths. Friday, 30,000 more; another 300 deaths. Saturday, up 32,000; another 320 deaths. These numbers are most accurate I can find, published online by Johns Hopkins, Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases.

Now maybe math is not your strong suit. I call your attention to the fact that number of new confirmed cases each day is increasing -- 16k, 28k, 30k, 32k... and that trend is continuing. You can look at the graphs yourself; it is pretty obvious that there are about 10% more new cases each day than the next. If the trend continues, that will mean about 170,000 new cases per day by mid April, over 3 million new cases per day by mid May.

This should be personal for everyone, but it is particularly personal for me. My dear wife was exposed to the COVID-19 virus. She went for a walk with a friend last Shabbos. She and her friend were both in excellent health, feeling great, nary a sniffle nor a cough. The next morning that friend was in bed with a 102 fever, barely able to move because of the body aches. The next day she was tested and confirmed to have an active case of COVID-19. (She is, Baruch HaShem, beginning to feel better and her fever is coming down.) My wife immediately put herself in self-quarantine. I am not required to be in self-quarantine, but nevertheless -- with tears in my eyes -- brought my shtender home from Brisk Yeshiva, my home away from home for the last 25 year, and set up a place to learn and daven at home.

I have moved out of our room. We eat at separate ends of the table. I prepare all the food. So far, no symptoms and no fever; Chasdei HaShem. We are not relaxing our guard, though, because her friend also exhibited no symptoms and no fever one day; bedridden with 102 the next.

I having been wanting to say something for a while. Today, though, I was at the keilim mikvah (we are unexpectedly staying home for Pesach and woefully unprepared) -- I made sure to check before entering that there was no one else there. While I was taking care of my keilim, a young man with several young children came running in. "There is only supposed to be one person at at time in here," I exclaimed. "Oh, I'll only be a minute... I dropped something in waste basket," he replied nonchalantly. I ran -- yes, ran -- out of that small room and re-iterated that there should be only one person in there and for very good reason.

He risked my life, his life, the life of everyone with whom his children have contact for the next couple of weeks. All that after all shuls being closed and an urgent announcement on erev Shabbos that care for COVID-19 is to be treated with all the stringencies of piku'ach nefesh -- a life threatening illness. For what? Because he was in a hurry and couldn't wait five minutes? Because he was so inconsiderate that he couldn't ask me to give him a few minutes to retrieve something?

Please, please, please take this seriously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: What Category of Muktzeh are Our Candles?

As discussed in a recent TftD , a p'sak halacha quite surprising to many, that one may -- even לכתחילה -- decorate a birthday cake with (unlit, obviously) birthday candles on Shabbos. That p'sak is predicated on another p'sak halacha; namely, that our candles are muktzeh because they are a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not  מוקצה מחמת גופו/intrinsically set aside from any use on Shabbos. They point there was that using the candle as a decoration qualifies as a need that allows one to utilize a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור. Today we will discuss the issue of concluding that our candles are , in fact, a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not מוקצה מחמת גופו. Along the way we'll also (again) how important it is to have personal relationship with your rav/posek, the importance of precision in vocabulary, and how to interpret the Mishna Brura.  Buckle up. After reviewing siman 308 and the Mishna Brura there, I concluded that it should be permissible to use birthday candles to decorate a cake on Shabbo