Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Life Lessons from the Bourbon Trail

I almost never buy a coffee cup; I have a very nice one that my son bought for me several years ago.  I certainly never buy one just for the cute saying; how lame is that?  Well... I broke that rule and purchased a new coffee cup from one of the bourbon distilleries I recently toured just of the saying:
Give me the coffee to change the things I can, and Bourbon to accept the things I can't.
Lame or not, I bought it and brought it to work. I showed it to a coworker, who remarked, "Oh... so spiritual..."  I replied, "Well, they do call it spirits."

In point of fact, I found that the bourbon process is actually a reasonable parable for our life in this world.  Alcohol (and other stuff, not important for now) is produced when yeast digests carbohydrates.  That process is known as fermentation; take a source of carbs, add the right yeast(s), you get a fermented gruel known as "mash".  Whiskey (or whisky, depending on its country of origin) means an alcoholic beverage distilled from fermented grains.  Start with barley, you can Scotch or Irish whisky (depending on how much is malted).  Start with rye and you get rye whiskey.  Start with corn -- ah... that great new world vegetable -- and you get bourbon... that great American beverage!

So here's the basic process.  Take water and (at least) 51% corn (most bourbons are about 70% corn, 15% or so malted barely, the rest wheat or rye) to produce a nice mash of carbs and sugars.  Add yeast and let sit about three days; which yields a fermented mash of about 20 proof.  Distill to get the up to 110 or 130 proof.  Place in charred oak barrels and left to age in the Kentucky weather for six or more years -- no environmental controls!  During that aging process -- when the bourbon takes on its distinctive color and flavor -- approximately 20% to 40% is lost to evaporation.  This is inevitable, given the use of porous oak barrels.  That share lost to evaporation is affectionately knows as the "angel's share".  Finally, the result is bottled at 80 or more proof.  Those are the legal requirements to be called bourbon, as specified by The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5).

So think about that.  Simple ingredients -- water, yeast, and grain -- produce a complex result when left in the right environment to endure the seasons.  Impurities in the water, poor quality grain, or a bad cask in which to age and the whole mess is ruined.  HaShem breathes/pours our soul into an so physical body.  It lives there and edures/ages in this oh so physical world for a few decades.  We have very little control over our ingredients and basis make up.  But we have one advantage over the passive brew of bourbon; we have a free will to choose and a Torah to guide us.  The soul after its sojourn in this world is not the pure distillate it was before entering a body, it is improved -- takes on character and (literally!) body.

One brand that I particularly favor is named simply because it is the product by which its maker wanted to make his mark in the world.  That's what we are; we are the mark that our Maker wanted to make on the world.  That is also why I liked the words on the cup; in truth, that is our mission statement.  I need to put real hishtadlus/hard work into making myself and my world into the vision of the Creator.  On the other hand, there are many things out of my control; for those I need patience, faith, and a sense of humor.  I wasn't joking when I said, that is precisely why they call it "spirits".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Pizza, Uncrustables, and Stuff -- What Bracha?

Many years ago (in fact, more than two decades ago), I called R' Fuerst from my desk at work as I sat down to lunch.  I had a piece of (quite delicious) homemade pizza for lunch.  I nearly always eat at my desk as I am working (or writing TftD...), so my lunch at work cannot in any way be considered as sitting down to a formal meal; aka קביעת סעודה.  That being the case, I wasn't sure whether to wash, say ha'motzi, and bentch; or was the pizza downgraded to a m'zonos.  He told if it was a snack, then it's m'zonos; if a meal the ha'motzi.  Which what I have always done since then.  I recently found out how/why that works. The Shulchan Aruch, 168:17 discusses פשטיד''א, which is describes as a baked dough with meat or fish or cheese.  In other words: pizza.  Note: while the dough doesn't not need to be baked together with the meat/fish/cheese, it is  required that they dough was baked with the intention of making this concoction. ...

Thought for the Day: Yetzer HaRa -- Spiritual Force of Tuma vs Physical Ta'avos

In any project planning, there are two basic approaches: top down and bottom up.  Top down starts with describing what you want done at the highest level that seems reasonable.  You then break that down into a list of things that are smaller in scope (they only accomplish part of the job) and are therefore easier to actually accomplish.  That process can is then repeated with each sub-project.  Each iteration produces a new set of smaller projects.  For any of the projects, the level above provides the "why" for the project of interest, and the projects below provide the "how" for the current project.  Bottom up starts, as it's name suggests, from the lowest level -- here is stuff I know I can do, and proceeds by asking "what can I do by putting this stuff together?" For example, I have a project to slake my thirst.  Top down would start by a requirement to get a cool drink into a container from which I can drink.  That breaks down into: (1) fin...

Thought for the Day: Why Halacha Has "b'di'avad"

There was this Jew who knew every "b'di'avad" (aka, "Biddy Eved", the old spinster librarian) in the book.  When ever he was called on something, his reply was invariably, "biddy eved, it's fine".  When he finally left this world and was welcomed to Olam Haba, he was shown to a little, damp closet with a bare 40W bulb hanging from the ceiling.  He couldn't believe his eyes and said in astonishment, "This is Olam Haba!?!"  "Yes, Reb Biddy Eved,  for you this is Olam Haba." b'di'avad gets used like that; f you don't feel like doing something the best way, do it the next (or less) best way.  But Chazal tell us that "kol ha'omer HaShem vatran, m'vater al chayav" -- anyone who thinks HaShem gives partial credit is fooling himself to death (free translation.  Ok, really, really free translation; but its still true).  HaShem created us and this entire reality for one and only one purpose: for use...