Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Human Abortion is an Intensely Personal Issue for Me

I have learned how to deal with the hordes of hawkers who stand at Thompson Center downtown (Chicago, dude, Chicago) at lunch time; this one for food, this one for Green Peace, this one for... well, you'll see.  I run into them as I am walking to (and sometimes from) mincha.  I don't engage them, but neither do I avoid them.  My only interest is to get to mincha (or back to work); but if they accost me and invade my privacy, I have a ready answer.  To food hawkers I simply query, "Kosher?"  To Green Peace and Save the Children I request, "Please walk with me and explain why this is important."  To which they respond, "I can't."  I then call back, "Ah.  Well if it is not important enough for you to walk a few steps with me, then it's not important enough for me to stop."  The most pointed rejoinder I have received to that is, "Oh yeah!?"

That is how I came to have a "conversation" with Planned Parenthood volunteer.  They were out in force hawking their wares.  I was not accosted on the way to mincha, but it did get me thinking what I would say.  An Orthodox Jew can certainly not say that the Torah forbids abortion.  The unborn fetus, while certainly alive, does not have the rights and privileges of a person living in this world.  At some point that spark of life may very well have the great merit to live in this world as the vehicle for a human soul to fulfill the mission for which it was created.  When does that happen?  Good question with no definitive answer even in our most sacred writings and knowledge.  So our tradition treats that unborn entity as a potential life.  If the fetus is threatening the mother's life -- physical, mental, or spiritual -- then there he life takes precedence.  None the less, even when terminating a pregnancy is being considered, the consequences are great and the issues life changing.

When I was accosted with an enthusiastic, "Hi! How are you?  I'd like to talk with you about Planned Parenthood", I didn't think she needed more evidence that abortion is sometimes necessary.  I told her simply, "I am not going to sign your petition nor make a donation, but I would like to tell you one thing.  My decision is not for religious reasons, but for personal reasons.  I have three children and nine grandchildren.  My mother became pregnant with me at 19 on a first date.  She was unemployed, as was my father.  She tried her best to abort me, but failed.  So you see, I can't give you money; because if your organization had existed 60 year ago, I wouldn't even be here."

I did not raise my voice, I was not contentious; though my voice was certainly impassioned.  I was expecting a reaction of empathy or at least understanding.  Her reaction, though, was chilling.  She simply looked at me with a blank expression and said in a flat voice, "Have a nice day, sir."  As I walked away, I was even more chilled by hearing her greet her next target with the same enthusiasm and cheeriness with which she had greeted me.  This was Stepford mentality at its worst.

My intent was not to change anyone's mind, only to encourage deep thought before -- and all the more so while -- taking  course of action.  To terminate a life is no small matter.  It's not one life, but that life and the generations and generations that follow; including the impact that life -- and the generations and generations that follow -- will have on others.  Of course we must take positions and make decisions.  Just don't take those decisions lightly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc