Skip to main content
Siyum on Masechta Shabbos -- 11 years in the making!
On Rosh Chodesh Nissan 5766, my chavrusa (really much more of a rebbi than a chavrusa) and I were zoche to be m'sayim masechta shabbos; a schedule we half jokingly call our "daf chodshi" (one page a month). The specific date was chosen because it is also R' Mannes's father's yahrtzeit, but the fact is we really did finish at that time. Hosting a siyum two weeks before Pesach is not easy; but my family has always celebrated siyumim together and we all worked hard to get everything together.

A year ago or so, someone commented to me, "11 years? wow... you have a lot of patience". But that is a mistake. For, (as pointed out to me by R' Mannes) in the hadran we say, "our minds are on you, and your mind is on us." The masechate is a living entity with which we have an eternal relationship. Eleven years is not a long time to spend developing that relationship.

I was honored to have R' Plotnik and R' Mannes offer divrei chizuk and torah. I cannot, and therefore will not try, to do justice to the words of these two talmidei chachamim. I will, however, express a couple of thoughts I was able to assimilate. R' Plotnik noted that the Chachmim call hilchos shabbos "harim t'luyim ba's'ara" -- mountains hanging be a hair. That is, the Torah warns us that to violate shabbos is a capital offense, and yet gives us almost no details! It is only through our masora that we can know how to experience "oneg shabbos" and avoid eternal suffering. (Comfy thought, eh?) My personal favorite example of this is a person who doesn't like onions and selects a piece of onion out of cholent. If the person has in mind to give it to her father (yes, my daughter likes to give me her onions), then is it kibud av; if, on the other hand, a person selects out the onion first and then asks if anyone knows it has just been m'chalel shabbos!

I cannot begin to thank R' Mannes for his chinuch and patience. Of course I grew from his Torah and Chochma... but at least as important was the way he would m'chanuich me... shaping the way I approach and assimilate a Torah. Guiding me in developing a mind and attitude that is a Torah production. One of the most touching thoughts that R' Mannes expressed was that he wasn't sure if he could really make a siyum with me... because the "me" of today is not the the "me" of 11 years ago. We have now begun Baba Kama and I look forward to many more years of guidance, growth, chochma, and Torah.

I also spoke briefly. As I was thking about what to say, I was as first sorry that after 11 years of learning, we were now spending only and hour or so to celebrate that achievement. But the truth is that no matter how much time was spent, we would not be able to express even as much as one drop compared to the oceans of wisdom contained in each daf... kal v'chomer ben beno shel kal v'chomer in 157 daf!

Sof kol sof, there is a thought I would like to express from the siyum.


תלמוד בבלי מסכת שבת דף לא עמוד א
אמר רבא: בשעה שמכניסין אדם לדין אומרים לו: נשאת ונתת באמונה, קבעת עתים לתורה, עסקת בפריה ורביה, צפית לישועה, פלפלת בחכמה, הבנת דבר מתוך דבר? ואפילו הכי: אי יראת ה' היא אוצרו - אין, אי לא - לא.


The gemara on 31a says, "Rava teaches that when a person is taken for [his final] judgement they say to him: did you conduct your business with faithfulness, did you set time for Torah study, ... ?"

Obviously when a person is taken in for judgement, he will be asked the major issues first... you don't start with the details. It should absolutely give us pause to think that we will first be asked is about his business dealings. The tell a story about the Chafeitz Chaim. Someone complained to him about those frumme Jews who cheat in business, are rude, and tell vicious gossip. The Chafeitz Chaim responded, "I know... and those frumme Jews who don't keep kosher or shabbos." The man looked astounded and exclaimed, "but those aren't frum Jews!" Answered the heilege Chafeitz Chaim, "and neither are those who cheat in business and are rude frum Jews!" Our bein adam v'chaveiro will be questioned first.

The next question regards our Torah study. Not "Did you study Torah?", but "Did you fix time for Torah study?" Of course we need to work to make a living, and if we don't fix time for Torah study we can easily get involved in the day-to-day pressures of making a living (Rashi). By fixing time for Torah study, we make that the main thing. R' Chaim Volozhin in Nefesh haChaim says that if one spends his whole life trying to learn lishma, and only achieves a moment of lishma in his life... the fact that he could not have achieved the "lishma" without those years and years of "sh'lo lishma" transforms all those years into "lishma" -- lishma mamash! It would follow then, that fixing times for Torah study turns every moment of our lives into limud haTorah!

Hodos u'sh'vachos la'Shem yisbarach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc