Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: When Better Physical Quality Beats Better Spiritual Quality to Improve Spiritual Health

That title may end up being nearly as long as the whole post.  We'll see...
A summary of every Jewish holiday: They tried to kill us, we won, let's eat!
 -- Alan King, American Jewish comedian
As most stereotypes, woefully shallow, but indeed captures the essence of some truth.  They have tried to kill us, time and time again.  (There are deep reasons for that, but out of scope for now.)  We won and we will always ultimately triumph.  (Again, there are deep reasons for that, but out of scope for now.)  We always have a food associated with that victory.  Ok... let's talk about that.

What gives our life meaning?  It the ability to exercise our free will; to choose to do mitzvos or not; to refrain fom sinning, or not.  We are composed of a physical body and a spiritual soul, neither of which is can exercise free will.  The soul is entirely spiritual, and therefore outside of the bonds of time.  The soul therefore knows nothing of past and future; only the now what is always.  The body is made up of chemicals and minerals; a conglomeration of intert substances that are subject to -- but have no control over -- the ravages of time.  The soul has will, but cannot act.  The body has abililty, but has no will.  It is only when these two disparate and opposite entities are wondorously joined (a miracle we recount in the bracha of אשר יצר several times a day), that one gets a being that can live a life of meaning.

What mediates this connection?  Food; you need to eat to live, life is for a purpose, to food serves a higher purpose.  Each holiday celebrates a unique spiritual energy, so each holiday has its unique foods.  Apples and honey on Rosh HaShanna, matzah on Pesach, donuts and latkes on Chanuka.  Our table is a מזבח/altar, and the food is our קרבנות/offerings.  That's why our food needs to be kosher.  That's why we don't eat food cooked by non-Jews, even when all the ingredients are kosher.  We are also very strict with our wine.

Bread, however, is a very basic food that we need to live.  Bread is so simple and basic, that it doesn't have the same restrictions as wine and meat.  Still, it is best -- when possible -- to eat only bread baked by Jews; known as פת ישראל (there is no translation, sorry).  Since that is not always possible and because bread is so essential to daily living, we are also allowed to eat פת פלטר/bakery bread.  The bread still needs kosher supervision, of course, but can be baked by anyone.  (We are never, however, allowed to eat bread speficially baked for us by a non-Jew.)

Now... one may choose to be strict with himself and eat only פת ישראל.  In fact, the Shulchan Aruch mentions that it is a good idea do make that commitment during the Days of Awe; from Rosh HaShannah to Yom Kippur.  Some of us also are strict on Shabbos and Yom Tov.  Others have made the commitment to always eat only פת ישראל.  That makes this particular food stringency quite interesting, as you can easily have a meal where some are strict to eat only פת ישראל, while others are lenient (not in a bad way at all) to eat פת פלטר/bakery bread.

Suppose I am strict to eat only פת ישראל, but I have guests who eat פת פלטר/bakery bread.  Not only that, but they have brought a special (100% kosher, of course) loaf of artisan bread for our meal.  I also have a loaf of פת ישראל; not nearly as geshmak as the bread they brought... but I'm strict so I never buy that bread.  Even if I did buy that bread, I wouldn't be allowed to eat it... usually.  However, since I have guests, I am obligated to serve them the best bread I can.  Since they are not strict about פת ישראל, that artisan bread they brought is the best bread I have to offer.  As host, it is also my place to make the המוציא/blessing upon eating bread for everyone.  Now here's the cool part... since I am making the bracha and since that artisan bread is really geshmak and since my guests are not strict about פת ישראל... I am also allowed to eat the non-פת ישראל artisan bread!  (Shulchan Aruch 168:5)

I had one nagging question... I am only allowed to eat the geshmak non-פת ישראל bread because of my guests; if I were by myself, I would not be allowed to eat it.  What would be, I mused, if my wife and I were eating together and she was not stringent about eating only פת ישראל.  Is she like a guest and therefore I would be permitted to eat the geshmak non-פת ישראל bread, or are she and I like one person and so I'd have to stick with the פת ישראל while she enjoyed the geshmak non-פת ישראל bread?

I asked R' Fuerst and he told me that I would only be allowed to the פת ישראל.  I persisted to clarify by asking, "So my wife is not like a guest?"  I meant that question in context of this particular halacha, but R' Fuerst took the opportunity to give me a mussar shmues and lesson about marriage.  He got a big smile on his face and said, "Try telling your wife she is a guest... she will tell you that you are the guest and then kick you out!"

True, true...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc