Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Baseless Hatred and Demanding Strict Justice -- Two Destructive Behaviours

My research advisor used to start his introductory lecture to freshman physics with a warning: "Some people say there is no such thing as a stupid question.  They are wrong."  I know without doubt that R' Fuerst has heard his share of stupid questions.  In fact, I can testify (with some shame, to be sure) that I have added to that genre.  I can also testify that R' Fuerst has always handled the questions with grace and patience with nary a trace of exasperation.  (R' Fuerst has, in fact, only hung up on a caller once.  He told us about it, so I know how far things have to go before the rabbi labels a queestion as stupid.)

Here's one very cool story that I heard from R' Schmelzer of Telshe, when he spent part of a summer at Camp Nageela Midwest some years ago along with R' Fuerst.  Camp Nageela provides an Orthodox Jewish experience for Jewish kids who do not come from an Orthodox home.  R' Schmelzer and R' Fuerst were walking to the lunchroom when a kid came running over to R' Fuerst yelling, "Hey, you!  Look at this frog I found!"  R' Schmelzer went pale at hearing someone talk to the dayan like that.  R' Fuerst, however, carefully examined the frog and shared the young man's excitement.  There is no question that the young man would have understood if someone had told him that there are better ways to talk to an important person like R' Fuerst.  R' Fuerst, however -- without missing a beat -- handled the situation beautifully and acted clearly לפנים משורת הדין/beyond the letter of the law.

The gemara (Bava Metzia 30b) relates a story that involved R' Yishmael the son of R' Yosi handling another situation with grace where person making the request clearly also had no idea about how to talk to an important person.  The gemara ends by quoting R' Yochanan as saying that Yerushalayim was only destroyed because people were not acting לפנים משורת הדין/beyond the letter of the law.

Hang on there!  Haven't we heard loud and clear that Yerushalayim was destroyed because of שנאת חינם/baseless hatred?!  Doesn't that make much more sense?  I can certainly understand hatred among Jews causing us to lose our precious Beis HaMikdash.  But not going beyond the letter of the law?  Isn't that extra credit?  Maybe I won't get the sixth aliyah on Shabbos; but I deserve to be kicked out of shul for because I didn't graciously give up my seat and offer the stranger my tallis?

As it turns out, Tosafos asks the question; right there on the page.  One of those short, one line Tosafos that are either just a quick p'shat or something quite cryptic.  This one is both.  Tosafos asks that this contradicts the quote from R' Yochanan (Yoma 60b) that lays the blame squarely on שנאת חינם/baseless hatred.  Tosafos gives a chilling answer: הא והא גרמא/they both caused it.  Google translate, by the way, gives this very non-literal translation of that: This is a terrible thing.  Well... I agree... this is a terrible thing!

On the other hand, maybe it's not such a terrible thing.  As a good friend of mine says, I have absolutely no baseless hatred for anyone -- I have very good reasons for all of my hatred.  So fixing שנאת חינם is not such an easy thing.  On the other hand, working on acting לפנים משורת הדין/beyond the letter of the law is not so terrible.  I can take little steps; like washing the spoon left in the sink by the last person, or putting even the books I didn't use back on shelf.  And, besides, I can pat myself on the back for being such a big tzadik.  So first I'll work on getting back the Beis HaMikdash and then I'll work on my arrogance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc