Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Prayer -- Concentrate on What You are Saying, Not on What You are Doing

My grandchildren love to help... especially (ok... almost exclusively) when they think it's fun.  My very sweet and charming seven year old granddaughter saw that I had not covered the BBQ, so she decided to replace the lid and then cover it for me.  Great... except I almost fainted when she told me... I have a kettle type BBQ (I eschew gas grills and even charcoal lighter fluid; yes, I am a BBQ snob) that is made of porcelain covered cast iron.  Cooks great... gets very hot... stays very hot for a long time.  I had left it open and uncovered to cool.  I almost fainted when I thought about the disaster that could have happened; namely, third degree burns on my little sweetheart.  Fortunately (Baruch HaShem 1000 and more times), it had cooled enough that she didn't get hurt.  (I had thought I guarded it long enough, but given the potential of such dire consequences, I still panicked.)  Once I was sure she we safe (and gently but firmly chastised), I checked the vinyl cover.  The BBQ had cooled enough so that it, too, was not damaged.  Ok... no harm; and we'll all be more careful.

Do you know that you are doing when you are davening?  You are standing in private and exclusive communication with the Creator... your Creator.  There can be no more valuable way to spend your time than that.  The Creator... your Creator has cleared His agenda to turn His attention to you.  The Shulchan Aruch, Orach Chaim (93) says that you need to pause before taking your three steps forward to engage in this awe inspiring activity.  (It actually says it is appropriate to take an hour to cleanse your mind of all worldly matters... but we do what we can.)  Now take those three steps forward; with confidence but some trepidation.  Now what?  Here you are, ready to speak directly with the Creator... your Creator... How do you do that?  What do you say?  How do you say it?

Shulchan Aruch, Orach Chaim (98) is entitled: You must be fully engaged and pray with intention.  So what is the big advice?  In English: When one prays, he must fully engage his mind and spirit to know the simple meaning of the words he is saying.

What?  Aren't there huge things going on here?  Unfathomable depth of meaning... layers on layers of kabbalistic meanings?  Indeed there are, which is precisely why you want to concentrate on nothing but the simple meaning of the words.  The Mishna Brura right there gently but firmly chastised any who would do otherwise.  Why?  Precisely because those words and the prayer into which is is set is so extraordinarily powerful.  If you follow the carefully follow the prescription as transmitted to us by those giants -- the Men of the Great Assembly -- then you are doing great things.  If, though, you were to deviate, with such power who knows what damage you could wrought.

But, you'll say, "I am an adult, not a seven year old who barely knows her right hand from her left!  Surely I will be fine."  (Obviously you don't know my granddauther.)  Just for you, the Mishna Brura brings that the ר''ש, said that now that he had learned many of the deeper secrets of kabbalah, he endeavored to pray like a young child; innocent and who knows no more than the plain, simple meaning of the words he is saying.

What damage can the wrong intentions cause?  It would seem to me, that just as the vinyl cover might have gotten ruined, my only real concern was for my granddaughter.  So too, one may very well do damage to the world with incorrect intentions in prayer, but those pale to insignificance compared to the potential damage to one's precious and eternal soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc