Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Halacha and Mussar/Plan and Motivation

Two stories today!  (For some of you, that mean more to skip, for others it means more of interest.  I try to be a full service blogger.)  While a graduate student at University of Utah (which at the time was the furthest east I had ever resided), my research advisor spent some time visiting University of Chicago.  Upon his return, he told me that the professor he was visiting gave him very detailed instructions on how to get from his temporary residence to the university.  Those instructions came with an exhortation not to deviate in the smallest detail, as the neighborhood could go from "take normal precaution" to "reckless endangerment of life" in one block.

After graduate school, I worked for a year as the physicist in a radiation therapy facility.  Part of my duties was to make sure the patients were getting their prescribed dose by double checking the sums entered by the radiation techs each week.  Let me preface this by noting that I do not list reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic on my resume under "Skills".  Nonetheless, I checked and rechecked those sums; I sweated them... and even woke up a few times in a cold sweat thinking I had made a mistake.  Mistakes could usually be corrected in subsequent treatments, but uncorrected mistakes could lead to anything from unnecessary suffering to failure to contain the disease.

I know how to add and my research advisor could certainly follow directions to walk a few blocks.  The likelihood of accidental mistakes is miniscule.  On the other hand, the likelihood of laziness in being precise can be quite high.  Adding many columns of figures is not a fun activity for me and I just want to get it over with.  The knowledge of the consequences, however, turns a simple walk of a few blocks and the sum of a few numbers into a harrowing experience.

Halacha is our plan for living our life.  There is nary a situation in life that is not already covered from several angles.  One only need look himself or ask a competent rav.  How could a mistake get made; especially for something that has no real benefit?  Simply: we're lazy.  We're can also be (more than) a bit petulant... Why should I have to do it that way?  I want to do it my way!

That's where mussar comes into the picture.  As the consequences of deviation become more clear, the desire to deviate and the laziness to be sloppy diminishes drastically.  It's easy to say, "Oh... I won't be lazy.  I won't be petulant."  Easy to say, and exactly what the evil inclination craves.  We are lazy and petulant by design, and it takes constant work to eradicate both of those ultimately devastating character traits.

Halacha without mussar leads to big mistakes.  Mussar without halacha, though, leads to even bigger mistakes.  There is nothing like the enthusiasm of someone acting "for the principle of the thing, darn it!"... especially when they don't have clarity on the principles.

Because of this, our basic halacha texts for daily living -- Shulchan Aruch, Mishna Brura, Aruch HaShulchan, Kitzur Shulchan Aruch -- all start with the place where mussar and halacha meet, the basic prescription for how a Jew lives: You are always standing in the presence of the Creator... always.  One's speech, mode of dress, and even thoughts are not the same when one is alone as when he is in the presence of any person who -- on even a whim -- can immediately and dramatically change his life; be it king, surgeon, or even a boss.  All the more so, of course, when he is in the presence of the King of kings, the Author of Reality... HaShem Himself.

That simple statement is mussar (as it reminds you of the consequences of your actions), and halacha (it is a directive on how to dress, talk, and even think), and it's also just plain common sense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc