Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Severity of Disqualifications in ארבעת המינים

There may be 50 ways to leave you lover (slipping at the back, Jack, being my favorite as it avoids conflict), but it seems like every time I learn though the laws of ארבעת המינים/The Four Species I find yet another potential issue.  Since all us men go nuts with the selection of the most beautiful ארבעת המינים set (not unlike our wives insanity at Pesach), each potential issue engenders yet another stress point.  In fact, I just received a notification from the CRC about potential issues with Myrtle this year, so all the more reason to know what's what.

I am not going to discuss the details of all the disqualifications -- such as dryness, withered, spotted, berried, punctured, split, as so forth -- that can occur.  Rather, I found it useful for me to understand the underlying reason (root cause analysis, as it were; pun fully intended) for the disqualification.  As it happens, depending on the reason, the disqualification could be for the entire holiday, only the first day, or even only making a bracha on the first day.  Cool, eh?

By my reckoning, there are three levels of severity.  Let's start with most severe and work our way down.  Most severe are those disqualifications that take the species out of the category of species commended by the Torah.  Of course it is obvious that you can't make up your own requirements for what to use; you can't decide to use grapes, orange tree branches, maple leaves, and magnolia flowers as your way of celebrating Sukkos.  We are, after all, talking reality; not Reform Judaism.

More subtle, though, is that the Torah requires specific species of plants.  The willow is the one that has long, smooth leaves.  The Myrtle has three leaves per cluster.  A skosh more subtle: we know that esrogim have bumpy skin, more skin/meat than fruit, and seeds are aligned along long axis of fruit... but if you find a fruit from a tree for which you have no tradition, is that enough to definitively conclude that the fruit is without question an esrog.

Then there is חסר/missing stuff.  Of course we all recoil in horror from a broken pitom (some of us are so nervous, in fact, that we only buy the sub-species of esrog that doesn't have a pitom).  And don't even get me started about a broken or even split תיומת!  It is certainly the right species, so what's wrong?  What's wrong is this is lacking in הדר/splendour.  Yep, as we were singing in joy crossing the sea when exodusing from Egypt, we included the stanza: זֶה אֵלִי וְאַנְוֵהוּ/This is my G-d, and I shall glorify Him! (Shmos 15:2)  Maybe you thought that was just poetic, but HaShem took us at our word and enshrined into halacha that ארבעת המינים must be beautiful.

Finally, we have wilted or even dry plants.  Nothing missing, just old and dry (hey... watch it; I'm not that old and dry yet!); so what's the problem?  You might thing it is problem with הדר, and you would thereby be in agreement with many rishonim and poskim.  However, there is another verse that you probably just thought was poetic, this time from Hallel/t'hillim 115:17: לֹא הַמֵּתִים, יְהַלְלוּ-יָהּ/the dead do not praise G-d.  Some poskim understand that to mean that we are not allowed to use dead things in ארבעת המינים.  That is, you could have an absolutely stunning willow branch that was carefully preserved, but dead.  If the issue is הדר, you might be ok; especially for the second day or chol ha'mo'ed.  But if the issue is "dead minim tell no tales" (of praise, that is.  Do you like the subtle pirate joke; which I am noting because it is a pretty far stretch...), then it will be disqualified completely.

And that, dear wives, is why it takes us much longer to find suitable ארבעת המינים than Shabbos flowers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Using a Mitzvah Object for Non-Mitzvah Purposes

As I am -- Baruch HaShem -- getting older, I am more cognizant of the fact that I'd like to stay as healthy as possible right up the moment I leave this world.  Stuff hurting is not the problem (I am told there is an old Russian saying that once you are 40, if you wake up and nothing hurts -- you're dead), stuff not working, however, is a problem.  To that end, for several years now I commute to work by bicycle (weather permitting, 30 minutes on an elliptical machine when weather does not permit).  I recently took up some upper body weight training.  Not because I want to be governor of California, just simply to slow down loss of bone mass and extend my body's healthy span.  Simple hishtadlus.  I have an 18 month old grandson who is just the right weight for arm curls (yes... I am that weak), so I do about 10 reps when I greet him at night.  He laughs, I get my exercise; all good.  (Main problem is explaining to the older ones why zeidy can't give them the same "…

Thought for the Day: Thanking HaShem Each and Every Day for Solid Land Near Water

Each and every morning, a Jew is supposed to view himself as a new/renewed creation, ready for a new day of building his eternal self through Torah and mitzvos.  We begin the day with 16 brachos to praise/thank/acknowledge HaShem for giving us all the tools we need to succeed.  We have a body, soul, and intellect.  We have vision, mobility, and protection from the elements.  Among those brachos, we have one that perhaps seems a bit out of place: רוקע הארץ על המים/Who spreads out the land on/over the water.  After all, it's nice to have a dry place to walk, but does that compare to the gratitude I have for a working body and vision?  As it turns out, I should; as explained by the R' Rajchenbach, rosh kollel of Kollel Zichron Eliyahu (aka, Peterson Park Kollel).  Your best bet is to listen to the shiur; very distant second is to continue, which I hope will whet your appetite for the real thing.

First... since we have dry land, I don't have to slog to work through even a foot…

Thought for the Day: Hydroponically Grown Humans... I Feel Sick

I am quite openly not at all objective about abortion in particular and the treatment of human embryos and fetuses in general.  I am, after all, the survivor of a failed abortion attempt.  Not "thought about it, but couldn't go through with it"; not "made appointment, but then chickened out at the lost moment"; but, "tried a procedure, but was unsuccessful in attempt to abort".  Nonetheless, I try very hard to listen to the liberal arguments (which I also used to chant as part of the general liberal catechism), and am genuinely empathetic to the plight of women who find themselves in that difficult position.

What I heard on NPR this morning, however, has left me feeling physically ill.  You can read about it, if you like, but here's the bottom line:  Scientists in Cambridge have achieved a new record, they fertilized a human ova and then kept it alive in vitro (that is, in a test tube/petri dish in a laboratory) for 14 days.  The scientist involve…