Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Learning is So Fun and Here's an Example: Why Eiruv Tavshilin Requires an Oral Declaration

I was in a play in 9th grade.  An in-class play, but I had a big role.  During one of the rehearsals I was holding a pencil during one of the more dramatic speeches and the teacher noted that my performance was much improved.  After discussion, it seemed that holding the pencil helped to give my hands something important to do and so kept me more focussed.  (Yes, I know that "focussed" is technically the British spelling, not American; it looks better to me, so deal.)  Her words made an impression and I started applying that principle wherever I could.  Now you know why I hold a pencil when I learn.

I am on a mission to finish learning the entire Mishna Brura; all six volumes.  I was actually on track to finish for my 55th birthday, but that plan was derailed when a set of Dirshu Mishna Brura appeared mysteriously at my doorstep one day.  (Technically, the appearance wasn't so mysterious -- delivered by UPS in a plain brown box; but I hadn't ordered it; that's the mysterious part.)  I took that as a sign from above that I should stop rushing and actually start learning.  My new plan is to finish by the time I am 60  (a goal about which I am cautiously optimistic).  I am mostly proceeding straight through, but detour before holidays and other halichic situations in order to have (at least once) the relevant halachos more fresh in my mind.

I have just finished most of the 5th volume (thank you; yes, I do feel it is an accomplishment).  Most, because I still need to finish the laws of baking matzah, which I plan to learn the month or so before Pesach.  The last bit of volume five (which is hilchos Pesach and Yom Tov) discusses eiruv tavshilin.  Interestingly, I saw a stray pencil mark in the Dirshu notes.  "Hmm," I thought (yes, I think "hmm"), "I must have accidentally/absent-mindedly made a pencil mark.  Funny, though, that it's just where I would put a mark to break up a long sentence while learning...."  Then I looked to the next few pages and saw lots of appropriately placed pencil marks.  I experienced the chilling realization  that I had been here before.  I then dimly remembered that I had learned this once before when a holiday was approaching for which we needed to make an eiruv tavshilin.  I can even tell you roughly when it was: a few days before May 23, 2014 CE, when I published a TftD on the matter.

Distress enough that I forgot having learned it... more distressing was that I found myself learning things I thought were big enough chidushim that I should write a TftD on them... final distressing straw was seeing that I had already written a TftD on one of those chidushim.  Ah well.

So here is one chidush that I did not (eg, forgot to, sigh...) mention before.  Rav Ashi and Rava argue about the main reason for the requirement of eiruv tavshilin; Rav Ashi says it is so that your cooking for Shabbos on Friday is not a new activity, but the continuation of an activity started before Yom Tov; Rava says it is so that you choose something particularly nice for Shabbos.  We pasken the halacha is like Rav Ashi (as noted in another TftF), but we like to be sensitive to Rava's reason as well.  It is because of Rava's reason that the declaration "With this eiruv, we are permitted to cook and bake and insulate and manipulate fire, etc" is in integral part of the eiruv tavshilin.  We think of the food as the main thing; obviously you need the food.  In addition, however, if one forgets the declaration or even part, such as "permitted to bake", then one needs to go back and make (or add) the appropriate declaration.  (If not, see the Mishna Brura and Dirshu notes for what to do.)

What's the "take away" from all this? (Besides the halachic basis for the declaration being an integral part of the mitzvah of eiruv tavshilin, of course.)  First, review is not just a "nice thing"; it's nearly the whole thing.  Second, the Ohr Chayim HaKodesh relates (at the begining of parshas b'chukosai) that learning -- especially the first time learning a new idea -- is so fun, that HaShem, in His magnificent kindness, gave us the character trait of forgetfulness.  That way we can keep learning and learning and learning, and always feel that geshmakiet of learning something for the first time.  I guess that's why I'm so jovial.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc