Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: The Argument for Leniency is More Powerful -- Living the Dream

As you may recall (or you can refresh your memory here), I have been going 'round and 'round about whether I can drink a certain beer that I had already purchased before any concerns were known.  The concern was and is: חמץ שעבר עליו הפסח; the brewery in question is Jewish owned (100% Jewish owned, in fact, which is a relevant factor, as will be explained shortly) and they do not sell nor otherwise divest themselves of חמץ during Passover.  That makes any beer that is produced from said חמץ forbidden to all Jews forever by rabbinic decree as a קנס/penalty.

There several reasons I have spent so much time on this.  The least reason was that I like that beer and I was at risk of losing $15 worth of it; that is: the remaining 18 bottles from the case I had bought before the news broke.  I will not buy this beer again unless/until they come under kosher supervision, but $15 is $15 dollars.  A vastly more important reason I have spent so much time on this is that the halachic principles are fascinating.  What really drove me, however, was the principle of כוח דהיתרא עדיף/the argument to permit holds sway.  Rashi (ביצה ב: ד"ה דהיתרא עדיף ליה) explains (and I paraphrase): the fact that so and so said that something is forbidden is no proof, maybe he was just being strict (and/or lazy), but if someone said it was permitted, he must have had strong reasons.  (Obviously we are talking about source who care and want to find the truth.)

So the last issue was the malted barley.  Here was the brewery's response to my inquiry:
We get our malted barley delivered through our rail spur nearby. Trucks carrying malt bring it onsite to the brewery daily, so it is a continuous cycle. We have many silos on site, with the biggest of which capable of holding nearly 250,000 pounds at a time. So yes, we do store a lot onsite but depending on our brew schedule and which brand we brewing, the malt billing varies quite a bit, even amongst (sic) just our IPA’s. We utilize many different varieties of malt, some are used much more regularly than others and some can be stored longer than others.
Now what?  Here's what: we now have a very strong reason to permit the beer, based on three halachic principle: ספק ספיקא/doubly inconclusive, ברירה/choice, תולין להקל/assume leniently.  Hold on... here we go.  First of all, since we have now clarified as much as possible and are still left with uncertainty, we can now apply the principle of ספק דרבנן לקולא/in case of doubt on a Rabbinic prohibition, the halacha is to rule leniently.  In fact, this Rabbinic prohibition is based on a קנס/penalty, so it is even easier to be lenient.  Suppose, however, you are nervous that one could actually go through the records and clarify the situation.  In a case of אפשר לברר, we can't rely on a single doubt.

So let's suppose there is still some forbidden malt in the silo from which they will draw to make my 18 beers.  The halacha of ברירה/choice goes like this:  Suppose there is some fraction, let's say x of the mixture is perfectly fine and I am to divide the mixture into two groups.  One group could be entirely permissible and the other entirely forbidden; alternatively each could be some mixture of the two.  Whether and when we consider the derivatives like the first case (יש ברירה) is a hotly debated topic throughout the talmud.  We posken, however, that on Rabbinic decrees was can assume the derivatives are entirely of one side.  Moreover, when one has two globs -- one of התר and one of איסור דרבנן -- and two vats into which those globs fall, the halacha is to rule leniently (יורה דעה קיא).  Hence, even if some of the malted barley that was owned by the Jew over Pesach is still around when they made the batch of beer from which my remaining 18 bottles were drawn; the halacha is that we say those only the malted barley that was purchased after Pesach was used in my beer.

Of course, I most certainly did not rely on the above evidence to permit myself the beer.  I presented my evidence and reasoning to R' Fuerst and he gave his approval to my conclusion.  I conclude with a "quote without comment" from the Mishna Brura in hilchos Shabbos (שכה ס'ק סב), where he is discussing allowing one to ask a non-Jew to bring beer through a public thoroughfare:
One should only be lenient for beer/ale and the like, which are necessary for Shabbos, since אי אפשר להיות בלעדם אלא בדוחק קצת/it is impossible to be without them without some distress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc