Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Seeking Conciliation Erev Yom Kippur


The Shulchan Aruch (OC 606:1) notes that Yom Kippur does not provide atonement for sins between one Jew and another unless the perpetrator first conciliates his victim.  The Mishna Brura says that while there is always an obligation to seek reconciliation with one's victim, we all know how things go:  "I'm really busy today, I'll take care of that tomorrow"  Tomorrow turns into tomorrow turns into... "Whoa! Yikes!  It's Elul already?!" and then "No way!  Yom Kippur is tomorrow!  Aaargh!"  Erev Yom Kippur therefore, by default, becomes the Day of Conciliation.

[NB: Conciliate is, I believe, the correct translation of "m'fayes".  Placate and appease might also work, but those both have negative connotations to me.  They sound like I am not really re/building a relationship, but just doing whatever is expedient to get the person off my back.]

Halacha demands three attempts at conciliation.  Walking up the the person and saying, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.  Satisfied?" is probably not even once.  Each attempt must be sincere, show additional thought, and deeper insight into what the crime entailed.  While forgiveness without being asked certainly helps the perpetrator, the real benefit comes from actually facing your victim with a subdued expression and real concern for the damage you have caused.  I find it much harder to ask for forgiveness when I really am in the wrong (which, sigh... is the usual situation).  After all, when I am admitting fault in order to take the high road, I get to bolster my self-esteem with "wow!  I am such a tzadik".  Being really wrong and facing the music, though... well, that's painful (and, of course, the most beneficial for my eternal soul).

The Tur and L'vush (thank you, Dirshu) bring another reason for seeking conciliation on erev Yom Kippur: when Klal Yisrael is at peace with one another, the Satan/Adversary is forced to go before the High Court and announce that the Jewish Nation seems to be composed of angels -- each working in harmony with his fellow, each doing his job and praising his friend.  There are two novel dimensions added to the mix according to that reason.  First, the conciliation actually should be on erev Yom Kippur; that's not just a default.  That's the easy one (it's always easy to be told to procrastinate; especially with something that as unpleasant as admitting guilt).

The second one is not so friendly: In order to truly be at peace, you need to admit fault even for things that caused problems because your friend is unreasonably sensitive about something.  Of course we always feel that other people are oversensitive and should just get over it already; but sometimes they really are oversensitive.  It doesn't matter, at the end of the day, their feelings are hurt and you caused it.  Honestly taking that kind of responsibility for our actions and how they affect others goes a long way toward achieving atonement for each of us individually and collectively.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc