Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: A Detail of When Throwing an Object On Shabbos is Assur M'D'Oraisa

I have a (relatively) new chavrusa; a 19 year old college student.  Very bright, ffb, but not yeshivish.  I learn with him a couple of nights a week.  I think I am helping him learn, I know he is helping me.  We are mostly learning Bava Kama, but he is also learning Shabbos.  I've learned both of these gemaras. Which is to say that I remember having opened those masechtos before.  Once in a while I even remember the sugya.  One of the biggest ma'alos of my chavrusa is that he is stubborn (in a nice way) about accepting my explanation if it doesn't quite sound right; which is often, so I he gets to exercise his stubbornness (always with a smile) often.

Take last night, for example.  At the bottom of daf 5A in Shabbos:
Ba'ei R' Yochanan, zarak cheifetz v'ne'ekar hu mimkomo v'chazar v'kiblo; mahu?
The problem is the work "chazar"; which means "returned".  One might, therefore, be tempted to understand the case is that he threw the object, ran away from his spot, then ran back to where he started.  That, however, doesn't make sense; there is no question he is patur (even mutar l'chatchila) in that case.  Art Scroll translates this as:
R' Yochanan asked, one throws an object and leaves his place and runs to catch it; what is the halacha?
The bold face is how Art Scroll inidcates that the English words are a translation, the plain text is an added elucidation; usually to make it read the way Rashi understands.  The trouble here is that Rashi is silent.  It surely looks like they didn't translate "chazar", doesn't it?  So I said, the word "chazar" can also mean to go after.  My chavrusa said, "Really?  But none of my friend's three Aramaic dictionaries say that...."  (Great, now he's bringing facts into the discussion.) So, after some thinking (always a good idea, I should do it earlier and more often) I came up with, "It means that he returned to his object; he had thrown it away and had to return to it."  Sounded good enough for us to move on.  Whew.

But I still had nagging doubts.  I looked around a little.  Baruch HaShem for M'soras HaShas that led me to the Rambam, Chapter 13 of Hilchos Shabbos, halacha 15.  (Interestingly, neither the Shulchan Aruch nor the Sefer Mitzvos G'dolos seems to bring this gemara l'halacha.):
One throws an object and then the thrower himself runs after the object and catches (lit, "receives in his hand") the object in a different domain or more than four amos is exempt, just as if he was catching an object that someone else had thrown.  Why?  Because it is not called a complete coming to rest unless it came to rest in the place it was destined to land at the time of the initial throwing.
Perhaps, then, the gemara used the word "chazar" to emphasize that the object was not considered to have come to rest, but is considered the same as if it had returned the the thrower even though he didn't move.

It's still assur m'd'rabanan, so don't try this at home.  Oh wait... I mean only try this at home; with your mother's permission, of course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc