Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Kavana in T'fila is Pirush haMilos; No, Really!

When a friend of mine was in the dorms in college, he... oh heck, it was me, ok?  Anyway, I was a junior in with a bunch of freshmen (longish story, not so interesting) and was a physics major.  So I was looked as a nerd, but smart and therefore a good resource.  Not much different than now, I suppose. Anyway, a friend of mine (no, really this time I mean a friend) wanted to install a dimmer switch in his dorm room.  The problem was that we didn't have access to the circuit breaker panel (it was locked up) and the instructions clearly said (in big red letters, I may add) that power had to be turned off before attempting installation.  Undaunted, I said, "Don't worry; I know physics and can figure out how to do this without shutting off that power."  The ensuing minor explosion was dramatic and no one got hurt.  My pride took quite a hit, of course, especially since the story of my bluster and failure was enshrined in permanent ink around the doorway.  For years.

The Shulchan Aruch, OC 98 says that when davening a person should:
  1. Have in mind the simple meaning of the words that are coming out of his mouth.
  2. Regard himself as standing in the presence of the Divine Shechina.  Further, imagine how he would feel standing in front of a human king; so how much more so now that he is standing in front of G-d Himself who knows his innermost thoughts.
  3. Know that the earlier generations would come close to the level of prophesy when davening.
Ok... which is it?  The meaning of the words, standing in front of G-d, or flying to the heights of spirituality and hob-knobbing with the angels?

The Mishna Brura says that (2) and (3) do not contradict (1); they simply give you an idea of how important (1) is. In fact, that Mishna Brura says that all the kavanos mentioned in various places about t'fila are for before davening; that is impossible to daven properly if you are having those thoughts.  Worse, knowing a little bit (like a failed electrician I know) can actually cause big problems.  Davening is powerful stuff and those kavanos are powerful; in the hands/minds/hearts of simple folk they are downright dangerous.  In fact those who really know kabala (according to the Mishna Brura) daven like an innocent child -- no deep thoughts, just the simple meaning of the words. Not eight meanings, not inner meanings; the simple pshat.

I know; that takes all the excitement out of it.  On the other hand, doing things the way HaShem wants them done would also seem to have some merit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc