Skip to main content

My First Conversion

I never really did convince the Rabbi that I needed a real conversion, but I did have the support of the (Conservative Jewish) cantor, a few other friends, and my wife. So now all I needed was to "do the deed", so to speak. A real conversion requires three things for a man (two, as will be obvious, of a woman).

  • Acceptance of the mitzvos in front of a Bais Din (Jewish Tribunal)

  • Mikveh (Ritual Immersion)

  • Bris Mila (circumcision for the sake of being Jewish) or (if one is already circumcised) Hatafas Dam (literally, "a drop of blood"



We all decided that the acceptance of mitvos part was taken care of my by Bar Mitzvah. We only needed mikveh and hatafas dam. In case it wasn't obvious, by the way, not any drop of blood would do; it had to be blood from the same place it would come in case of a full circumcision. Of course, being as this was Salt Lake City we had neither mohel nor mikveh. But we did have a Jewish urologist who did all the circumcisions for bris mila, and he had a built into the ground hot tub. How much more convenient could it be?

So, on the agreed upon date, the cantor and I drove up to the urologist house. One little snag... we needed three jewish men for the bais din, and we only had the cantor and the urologist. No problem... someone remembered that there was a 16 year old teenage boy home from school and camp who could come over. So I got a towel and went into another room to get undressed. Now try to picture this next scene. I come up of the bathroom dressed only in a towel, figuring we are going straight to the hot tub to get this taken care of. Nope. The urologists family is there. His wife is making drinks for everyone. We are waiting for the teenage boy from down the street. They offered me a gin and tonic; I declined. I am trying to act as natural as possible standing there in only a towel while everyone has there drinks. I would love to say that they mercifully left me out of the conversation... but they didn't. Ok, finally the young man arrives and we can go finish up.

First, hatafas dam. He is a doctor, right? So he first has to give me a local anesthetic -- administered by needle (I would later reflect on the fact that he could have gotten a drop of blood with a needle that size in the first place... ow well...) Then he got out his scalpel. Problem was, after that shot, all the blood had run away to hide. So he had to cut a little deeper than he expected... just under the anesthetic, of course. Perfect, didn't hurt too badly (either time), and a nice clean incision. In fact, such a clean incision that it took a while to stop bleeding. Finally stopped bleeding, I shed the towel the rest of the way, and went into the hot tub to immerse. When I came up they told me to say "Sh'ma". I felt very holy. I have no idea what that poor teenage boy was thinking.

In any case, I had had my conversion and I was now really Jewish (Conservative, anyway). One more detail to take care of... getting married. Having gone from non-Jew to Jew, I now needed a Jewish marriage to my wife. Or, rather, a marriage as a Jew to my Jewish wife. The Rabbi did agree to participate in this ceremony. I wore my brown corduroy leisure suit, my wife wore a nice skirt and top and covered her hair... with a yarmulka. We got married in the little chapel in the Synagogue, our friends come over and had lunch. Life was good.

Comments

Josh said…
I didn't realize Hatafas Dam could be so funny. I've found it strange that everyone thinks a doctor always can do a better job with a circumcision then a mohel performing a bris. The difference being a few hundred years of training compared to a few thousand.

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Thanking HaShem Each and Every Day for Solid Land Near Water

Each and every morning, a Jew is supposed to view himself as a new/renewed creation, ready for a new day of building his eternal self through Torah and mitzvos.  We begin the day with 16 brachos to praise/thank/acknowledge HaShem for giving us all the tools we need to succeed.  We have a body, soul, and intellect.  We have vision, mobility, and protection from the elements.  Among those brachos, we have one that perhaps seems a bit out of place: רוקע הארץ על המים/Who spreads out the land on/over the water.  After all, it's nice to have a dry place to walk, but does that compare to the gratitude I have for a working body and vision?  As it turns out, I should; as explained by the R' Rajchenbach, rosh kollel of Kollel Zichron Eliyahu (aka, Peterson Park Kollel).  Your best bet is to listen to the shiur; very distant second is to continue, which I hope will whet your appetite for the real thing.

First... since we have dry land, I don't have to slog to work through even a foot…

Thought for the Day: Using a Mitzvah Object for Non-Mitzvah Purposes

As I am -- Baruch HaShem -- getting older, I am more cognizant of the fact that I'd like to stay as healthy as possible right up the moment I leave this world.  Stuff hurting is not the problem (I am told there is an old Russian saying that once you are 40, if you wake up and nothing hurts -- you're dead), stuff not working, however, is a problem.  To that end, for several years now I commute to work by bicycle (weather permitting, 30 minutes on an elliptical machine when weather does not permit).  I recently took up some upper body weight training.  Not because I want to be governor of California, just simply to slow down loss of bone mass and extend my body's healthy span.  Simple hishtadlus.  I have an 18 month old grandson who is just the right weight for arm curls (yes... I am that weak), so I do about 10 reps when I greet him at night.  He laughs, I get my exercise; all good.  (Main problem is explaining to the older ones why zeidy can't give them the same "…

Thought for the Day: Hydroponically Grown Humans... I Feel Sick

I am quite openly not at all objective about abortion in particular and the treatment of human embryos and fetuses in general.  I am, after all, the survivor of a failed abortion attempt.  Not "thought about it, but couldn't go through with it"; not "made appointment, but then chickened out at the lost moment"; but, "tried a procedure, but was unsuccessful in attempt to abort".  Nonetheless, I try very hard to listen to the liberal arguments (which I also used to chant as part of the general liberal catechism), and am genuinely empathetic to the plight of women who find themselves in that difficult position.

What I heard on NPR this morning, however, has left me feeling physically ill.  You can read about it, if you like, but here's the bottom line:  Scientists in Cambridge have achieved a new record, they fertilized a human ova and then kept it alive in vitro (that is, in a test tube/petri dish in a laboratory) for 14 days.  The scientist involve…