Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Yom Kippur is Annual Spiritual Inventory and Training

I scheduled by annual physical for the morning of Erev Yom Kippur. I certainly wish that I had thought to do that because I wanted to take care of my physical judgement day to parallel my my spiritual one, but it just happened to fit into my schedule. Ah well; maybe next time I'll have better kavanos.

There are two questions that arise every year; one on the front end of Yom Kippur, and one on that back. On the morning before Yom Kippur -- after almost two weeks of סליחות/extra prayers specifically targeted at arousing the Creator's trait of mercy (as opposed to strict justice) -- we end with just a whimper of a prayer; abbreviated service and not even a token תחנון. On the back end -- after 25 hours of prayer, supplication, and fasting; raising ourselves to the level of completely spiritual beings -- we drop immediately into our weekday evening prayers, which includes a plea for forgiveness of our sins; hang on.... didn't we just achieve complete forgiveness and atonement?!

Before answering that, we need to really understand what Yom Kippur is and what it means to gain atonement. Rosh HaShanah is known as יום הדין/Day of Judgement, so Yom Kippur is not about being judged. What, then, is Yom Kippur? Yom Kippur is our annual inventory and continuing education in performing our job in this world. We say the וידוי/confessional 10 times -- five times privately, five times publicly. Five times privately is our personal inventory. Five times publicly to proclaim that we re-align ourselves with the mission statement given us by the Creator.

Given that, our questions on entry to and exit from Yom Kippur are answered. Annual inventory and continuing education are critical to the success of any large and complex endeavor. On the other hand, you have entered this campaign for a purpose; not to train and do inventory. During inventory and training, the business needs to be closed; the execution of the campaign put on hold. What do you do? You minimize all inessential activities before the shut down. After all, the workers need to prepare in order to most efficiently use that time. Once you are back at work, though, it is business as usual immediately. In fact, the boss expects renewed vigor and heightened productivity afterwards.

That ma'ariv at the conclusion of Yom Kippur should be the most important and sincere ma'ariv of the year. That קריאת שמע should have the most intensity of intention and depth of feeling after 25 hours of deep introspection and review. That plea for forgiveness in shmone esrei reflects the most clarity of purpose for the entire year.

Yom Kippur is exhausting. I cannot say that I look forward to it as I look forward to Shabbos and Yom Tov. I can say, though, that I feel energized and motivated to make this the best year yet!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Pizza, Uncrustables, and Stuff -- What Bracha?

Many years ago (in fact, more than two decades ago), I called R' Fuerst from my desk at work as I sat down to lunch.  I had a piece of (quite delicious) homemade pizza for lunch.  I nearly always eat at my desk as I am working (or writing TftD...), so my lunch at work cannot in any way be considered as sitting down to a formal meal; aka קביעת סעודה.  That being the case, I wasn't sure whether to wash, say ha'motzi, and bentch; or was the pizza downgraded to a m'zonos.  He told if it was a snack, then it's m'zonos; if a meal the ha'motzi.  Which what I have always done since then.  I recently found out how/why that works. The Shulchan Aruch, 168:17 discusses פשטיד''א, which is describes as a baked dough with meat or fish or cheese.  In other words: pizza.  Note: while the dough doesn't not need to be baked together with the meat/fish/cheese, it is  required that they dough was baked with the intention of making this concoction. ...

Thought for the Day: Yetzer HaRa -- Spiritual Force of Tuma vs Physical Ta'avos

In any project planning, there are two basic approaches: top down and bottom up.  Top down starts with describing what you want done at the highest level that seems reasonable.  You then break that down into a list of things that are smaller in scope (they only accomplish part of the job) and are therefore easier to actually accomplish.  That process can is then repeated with each sub-project.  Each iteration produces a new set of smaller projects.  For any of the projects, the level above provides the "why" for the project of interest, and the projects below provide the "how" for the current project.  Bottom up starts, as it's name suggests, from the lowest level -- here is stuff I know I can do, and proceeds by asking "what can I do by putting this stuff together?" For example, I have a project to slake my thirst.  Top down would start by a requirement to get a cool drink into a container from which I can drink.  That breaks down into: (1) fin...

Thought for the Day: Why Halacha Has "b'di'avad"

There was this Jew who knew every "b'di'avad" (aka, "Biddy Eved", the old spinster librarian) in the book.  When ever he was called on something, his reply was invariably, "biddy eved, it's fine".  When he finally left this world and was welcomed to Olam Haba, he was shown to a little, damp closet with a bare 40W bulb hanging from the ceiling.  He couldn't believe his eyes and said in astonishment, "This is Olam Haba!?!"  "Yes, Reb Biddy Eved,  for you this is Olam Haba." b'di'avad gets used like that; f you don't feel like doing something the best way, do it the next (or less) best way.  But Chazal tell us that "kol ha'omer HaShem vatran, m'vater al chayav" -- anyone who thinks HaShem gives partial credit is fooling himself to death (free translation.  Ok, really, really free translation; but its still true).  HaShem created us and this entire reality for one and only one purpose: for use...