Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Bracha on Each of Four Cups at Seder Because Each is a Separate Mitzvah

My older grandchildren in Chicago are just getting to the age of learning to say brachos.  Their enthusiasm is inspiring.  Of course, being, six-ish, she can be a bit (a bit, you say?) over exuberant.  The other night, she washed for bread, took a new kind of roll, made a beautiful bracha, took one little nibble (I mean, barely scratched the surface), made a face, and gave it to her brother (who is somewhat less discerning in the bread department).  Some time later, I saw her carefully bentching.  I told her she hadn't eaten enough to bentch, so she asked me what she should say instead. I told her that she didn't have to say anything, and you said, "But I ate!  I must have to make some bracha!"  Such enthusiasm!

Many of us lose our enthusiasm at the seder table... "That much matzah!?!"  "That much maror!?!"  "That whole glass of wine?!?"  (Boys, of course, typically don't say that from the age of about 14 till they finally get tired of getting sick each year; usually before mid-90s, but it can go longer.)  We eat so much, of course, because the Torah requires that we eat (not just taste) matzah, maror, and wine (ok, drink; picky, picky).  Given that we have eaten enough, of course, we will also be required to bentch afterwards.  Interestingly, we do not want to eat such a quantity of parsley/potato that would require bentching afterward, because we want the בורא פרי האדמה to cover the maror as well.  We do that because we are nervous about making an extra בורא פרי האדמה on the maror, because maybe we are only eating it for the mitzvah.

Whoa, there!  But on the four cups of wine we specifically make a new בורא פרי הגפן because each cup is its own mitzvah.  Moreover, we specifically do not bentch after each cup, but only at the end.  What's going on?

First let's ask, "What's wrong with making more brachos, anyway?"  Suppose, for example, that I feel really spiritual today and want to praise HaShem a lot.  Why can't I take a whole handful of peanuts, eat them one at at time, and make a new בורא פרי האדמה each time?  You'll say, "You call yourself a rabbi?!  THOSE EXTRA BRACHOS WOULD EACH BE A BRACHA L'VATALA!"  I'll answer, "First, I don't call myself a rabbi; R' Fuerst did.  Second: That is precisely my question; why would each bracha be a bracha l'vatala?  I am just praising HaShem each time creating this peanut."

R' Shlomo Zalman Auerbach, z"tzl (Minchas Shlomo, Vol 1, Article 18) explains the problem and then uses that to explain why I do make a bracha on each cup at the seder.  The problem is in the attitude of,  "I feel spiritual today, so I'll make a lot of brachos."  So one day I'll make a lot of brachos, but another day I'll make only one.  Someone watching (like those little grandchildren) will say to themselves, "Oh!  I guess you make brachos when you want to, but don't need to."  Your stringency leads to rampant leniencies.  Therefore Chazal were very particular in when you can make a bracha.

Ah... since Chazal are so particular, when they specifically mandate a new bracha for each cup, it will stand out.  The Pesach sefer experience becomes all the more special.  It also gets the children to ask more questions... which is really what they seder is all about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: What Category of Muktzeh are Our Candles?

As discussed in a recent TftD , a p'sak halacha quite surprising to many, that one may -- even לכתחילה -- decorate a birthday cake with (unlit, obviously) birthday candles on Shabbos. That p'sak is predicated on another p'sak halacha; namely, that our candles are muktzeh because they are a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not  מוקצה מחמת גופו/intrinsically set aside from any use on Shabbos. They point there was that using the candle as a decoration qualifies as a need that allows one to utilize a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור. Today we will discuss the issue of concluding that our candles are , in fact, a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not מוקצה מחמת גופו. Along the way we'll also (again) how important it is to have personal relationship with your rav/posek, the importance of precision in vocabulary, and how to interpret the Mishna Brura.  Buckle up. After reviewing siman 308 and the Mishna Brura there, I concluded that it should be permissible to use birthday candles to decorate a cake on Shabbo