Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Battling the Evil Inclination on all Fronts

Yom Kippur.  When I was growing up, there were three annual events that marked the Jewish calendar: eating matzos on Passover, lighting candles on Chanuka, and  fasting on Yom Kippur.  Major news organizations around the world report on the "surreal" and "eerie" quiet of the streets in even the most secular neighborhoods of Israel.  Yom Kippur.

As you know, I am observant of Jewish law.  Some have even called me "ultra orthodox" (not in a kind way).  Given that, I have a question.  How likely do you think that I would be tempted to eat on Yom Kippur, that most holy day of the year?  Let's make the scale zero to ten, where zero is "as likely as driving through McDonald's on Shabbos and ordering a Big Mac with extra cheese." and ten is "as likely as breathing regularly".  Take your time.  If you answered "zero"; thank you, but -- sadly and penitently -- no.  The answer is more like nine; I'd like to say lower, but it's right after Yom Kippur, so I am still trying to be honest with myself.

As I mentioned, I had to break my fast for Tisha b'Av early this year.  That made me nervous for fasting on Yom Kippur.  I started planning how best to approach the issue.  I measured how much water I could drink and still stay just under the limit of the what the Torah would consider breaking my fast.  I looked up precisely when sundown was to work out the absolute earliest I could make havdala and eat.  I was prepared to exercise every leniency in fasting so that I could daven where I usually do (a one mile walk... three times there and back; Kol Nidrei, Shacharis, N'ila), say my normally long shmone esrei on Yom Kippur, and stand all day in emulation of the angels to whose level we ascend on this most awesome day.

Then... in the midst of all that planning, I remembered the lesson me first grade teacher gave me in setting priorities... (I did a slap dash job on my -- IMHO boring and unimportant -- seat work so that I could get to the -- IMHO cool and quite relevant -- games.  Mrs. Holtz gave my seat work the grade it deserved and removed my name from the game board that day.  I put my head down on my desk and cried.)  So I started thinking and thinking, but search my memory as I could, I could not recall a single word in the Torah or Chazal about the obligation to walk to a particular shul, nor to daven a particularly long shmone esrei, nor even to stand all day in emulation of the angels to whose level we ascend on this most awesome day.  They are all very much praised as extra credit.  But you have dodo the main thing before you can enhance it.  What I did know, of course, is something that every Jew -- and even most non-Jews -- know; namely, that you are supposed to fast on Yom Kippur.

So I did not daven at my usual shul (I found a very accommodating shul three blocks away), and I didn't daven an exceptionally long shmone esrei (though with keen intention and awareness, but rather more "efficiently" than I normally daven on this most auspicious day), and I did not stand any more than was absolutely required.  (In fact, a few times during N'ila I thought I was doing pretty well, so maybe I could stand then entire hour and a half at then end of the fast... then I thought, "No, you are doing so well because you are not standing, you fool."  I don't like being called a fool (especially by myself), and so I sat myself down.

The next day I saw a friend of mine who is enduring some difficult treatments.  I asked him how his Yom Kippur went, and he replied, "Baruch HaShem!  I didn't have to rely on any leniencies!"  I thought to myself, "Baruch HaShem, I didn't either."

So what was my big accomplishment on Yom Kippur?  I fought the most fearsome enemy -- myself -- and succeeded in not eating in Yom Kippur.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק