Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Living With Intent All Day Every Day -- Starting with the Morning שמע

I had a philosophical discussion with a non-Jewish colleague last week during our Fight for Air Climb.  (You know I can't go more than a few minutes with engaging in some sort of philosophical speculation.  Climbing 4 x 45 floors of stairs together yields lots of "few minutes" that lend themselves to new discussions.)  It started innocently enough; she asked me if I rode my bicycle on Shabbos.  Of course that lead to a discussion of the nature of Shabbos observance and from there to the nature of being a Torah observant Jew.  I mean; how could it not?

So I noted that Shabbos is our testify that reality is a creation with an very interested Creator.  We do that by refraining from the 39 categories of labor that were utilized to create our reality.  "For example", I said, "suppose I peas and carrots, but only want to the carrots.  I can take the carrots from the peas..."  "I see", she said, "that's just eating."  "Right", I said, "but to remove the peas would be a violation of Shabbos."  (I may have actually said, "capital offence"...)  She replied, "Oh; so it all goes on intent."  "Yes", I replied.  She picked up on that and said, "Not a bad way to live; always acting with intent."  I smiled.  It's always better if they say the obvious conclusion themselves.

There are six events/memorials (my siddur adds another four)  that one is obligated to remember each day.  The Biur Heitev (siman 60, which details the halachos of how much and what kavana is required in the recitation of שמע and its brachos), quotes from ספר הכוונות (I didn't even know there was such a sefer) that attaches four of those remembrances to to the daily recitation of שמע and its brachos.  They are:
  1. When saying ובנו בחרת/You chose us, remember that we stood at Har Sinai -- chosen from all the nations -- to receive His Torah.
  2. When saying לשמך הגדול/for (the sake of) Your Great Name, remember that we are obligated to wipe out the memory of Ameleik, because His name is not complete in this world until Ameleik has been destroyed.
  3. When saying להודות לך/to thank/acknowledge You, remember that our mouth was created to praise and acknowledge our Creator, and not to say lashon hara; that is, remember and reflect on what happened to Miriam when she questioned Moshe's judgement behind his back.
  4. During the last paragraph -- the parsha of tzitzis -- remember that HaShem took us out from the slavery of Egypt.
The Magein Avraham adds a fifth kavana: when saying ואהבת/and you shall love (HaShem), reflect on that time when we did not put our love for HaShem in the forefront and fell victim to the sin of the Golden Calf.  We felt HaShem's love at that time because He became angry with us.  That sort of anger is only vented when there one partner in a loving relationship strays.  It hurts, but it is also the greatest testimony to the depth of the love; and hence also a comfort.

So there you have five of the six remembrances in saying שמע with its brachos first thing every morning.  Attaching those remembrances to the words of שמע and it's brachos forces one to have real concentration on the task at hand... and sets a precedent for the rest of the day.  All our words and actions should be with intent for and rememberance of the One who gave us existence.

The remaining rememberance is Shabbos.  Where is that?  Umm... of course you have to be awake!  How can you be awake and not counting down the days/minutes/seconds to Shabbos?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Using a Mitzvah Object for Non-Mitzvah Purposes

As I am -- Baruch HaShem -- getting older, I am more cognizant of the fact that I'd like to stay as healthy as possible right up the moment I leave this world.  Stuff hurting is not the problem (I am told there is an old Russian saying that once you are 40, if you wake up and nothing hurts -- you're dead), stuff not working, however, is a problem.  To that end, for several years now I commute to work by bicycle (weather permitting, 30 minutes on an elliptical machine when weather does not permit).  I recently took up some upper body weight training.  Not because I want to be governor of California, just simply to slow down loss of bone mass and extend my body's healthy span.  Simple hishtadlus.  I have an 18 month old grandson who is just the right weight for arm curls (yes... I am that weak), so I do about 10 reps when I greet him at night.  He laughs, I get my exercise; all good.  (Main problem is explaining to the older ones why zeidy can't give them the same "…

Thought for the Day: Thanking HaShem Each and Every Day for Solid Land Near Water

Each and every morning, a Jew is supposed to view himself as a new/renewed creation, ready for a new day of building his eternal self through Torah and mitzvos.  We begin the day with 16 brachos to praise/thank/acknowledge HaShem for giving us all the tools we need to succeed.  We have a body, soul, and intellect.  We have vision, mobility, and protection from the elements.  Among those brachos, we have one that perhaps seems a bit out of place: רוקע הארץ על המים/Who spreads out the land on/over the water.  After all, it's nice to have a dry place to walk, but does that compare to the gratitude I have for a working body and vision?  As it turns out, I should; as explained by the R' Rajchenbach, rosh kollel of Kollel Zichron Eliyahu (aka, Peterson Park Kollel).  Your best bet is to listen to the shiur; very distant second is to continue, which I hope will whet your appetite for the real thing.

First... since we have dry land, I don't have to slog to work through even a foot…

Thought for the Day: Hydroponically Grown Humans... I Feel Sick

I am quite openly not at all objective about abortion in particular and the treatment of human embryos and fetuses in general.  I am, after all, the survivor of a failed abortion attempt.  Not "thought about it, but couldn't go through with it"; not "made appointment, but then chickened out at the lost moment"; but, "tried a procedure, but was unsuccessful in attempt to abort".  Nonetheless, I try very hard to listen to the liberal arguments (which I also used to chant as part of the general liberal catechism), and am genuinely empathetic to the plight of women who find themselves in that difficult position.

What I heard on NPR this morning, however, has left me feeling physically ill.  You can read about it, if you like, but here's the bottom line:  Scientists in Cambridge have achieved a new record, they fertilized a human ova and then kept it alive in vitro (that is, in a test tube/petri dish in a laboratory) for 14 days.  The scientist involve…