Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Eating Without Making a Bracha is Killing a Kiddush HaShem In the Prime of Its Life

This year I got my flu shot and made an appointment for my annual physical (four years late...) and scheduled a colonoscopy (eight years late... sigh....).  After all that I got the flu; relatively severe case.  After that (three days into the flu when I was starting to feel better and my fever had gone down) my fever went back up; turns out I got a superinfection (not "super" as in superman, just super as in "on top of").  When I called my (ultra orthodox) physician to get antibiotics, I complained a bit and noted that for five years I had ignored good sense and not had regularly scheduled visits, but now that I was trying to be "good" and d, I got sick on top of sick!  He just laughed at with me and replied that is sounded as though HaShem was saying to me, "Oh!  You want השתדלות, do you?  Fine; I'll give you השתדלות!"  (Interestingly, Google's first translation of השתדלות is "intercession", not "effort". )

Ok, that's neither here nor there; I just thought it was a cute story.  Well; ok, it is hear and there.  Everything that was created was intended for one purpose and one purpose alone: to express כבוד שמים/the Glory of Heaven.  Man, as the pinnacle of Creation, is expected to use each and every moment as an opportunity to make a קידוש השם (no, Google translate, not to martyr oneself, but to sanctify HaShem's name).  Using a fever to contemplate and discuss where the level of one's  השתדלות should reach transforms the event into a קידוש השם.  To not do that does more than miss an opportunity, it murders the time wasted.

Let's go back to brachos.  Chazal tell us that anyone who benefits from this world without making a bracha has embezzled consecrated property (מעילה).  What exactly does that mean and how does making a bracha fix things?  It seems a bit lame to say that everything in the world belongs to HaShem, but when I make a bracha he says, "good boy!" and throws me a cookie (ie, permission to eat whatever I muttered the incantation over).  Note: as lame as that sounds, that's how I understood that Chazal for years... so embarrassed.  Much more is going on here!

Take an apple.  R' Avigdor Miller, ztz"l, has a famous vort on the כבוד שמים inherent in the apple: it's beautiful color on the outside, the wrapping that keeps it fresh in the inside, the cup of juice and delightful crunch of the fruit itself, and coupons for more apples at the middle of each.  (Google it... you'll find recordings and videos of it.)  If a person grabs the apple and simply eats it, he has just silenced that symphony of כבוד שמים.  But if he first makes a bracha -- a human being, the pinnacle of creation, uses that apple to express his thanks and praise his Creator, to even declare His sovereignty.  There can be no greater קידוש השם that could be expressed by that apple.  Making a bracha isn't an incantation at all, it is bringing that apple to it's intended purpose.  There is only one thing left at that point, to eat the apple.  The apple has thus fulfilled the purpose for which it was created.

Eating without making a bracha is embezzlement of consecrated property; eating with a bracha is bringing that property to it's intended purpose.  Permission to eat it not a reward for making the bracha, it is it's culmination.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: What Category of Muktzeh are Our Candles?

As discussed in a recent TftD , a p'sak halacha quite surprising to many, that one may -- even לכתחילה -- decorate a birthday cake with (unlit, obviously) birthday candles on Shabbos. That p'sak is predicated on another p'sak halacha; namely, that our candles are muktzeh because they are a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not  מוקצה מחמת גופו/intrinsically set aside from any use on Shabbos. They point there was that using the candle as a decoration qualifies as a need that allows one to utilize a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור. Today we will discuss the issue of concluding that our candles are , in fact, a כלי שמלאכתו לאיסור and not מוקצה מחמת גופו. Along the way we'll also (again) how important it is to have personal relationship with your rav/posek, the importance of precision in vocabulary, and how to interpret the Mishna Brura.  Buckle up. After reviewing siman 308 and the Mishna Brura there, I concluded that it should be permissible to use birthday candles to decorate a cake on Shabbo