Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: The Joy of Challenges in Avodas HaShem

I work in downtown Chicago.  I like working downtown.  In fact, when I had an occasion to seek new employment some time ago, I narrowed my search to the downtown area.  Why?  I ride my bike to work.  I really enjoy the ride and anything closer to home would not have given my a long enough ride.  There are lots of reasons for that, not least of which is that I like the exercise.  While I certainly could find other ways to exercise; I know myself and know it wouldn't happen.  With a bike ride to work, I get a nice bit of exercise in the morning and another in the evening.  To me, this is the perfect example of liking something that is good for me.  I didn't always enjoy this kind of workout, at it took (more than) a bit of work to get over my laziness and whining hump.  Now, thought, besides the fact that the bike ride it good for me (keeps my weight down, manages my cholesterol and blood pressure, keeps my heart healthy, etc), I also take some pride just in the fact that I have that ride.

The M'silas Y'sharim, in the chapter on Chasidus (scrupulous piety/saintliness) describes the way a person at that level experiences challenges in avodas HaShem.  Imagine a person working in loving HaShem and gets thrown a curve ball; loss of job, difficulty with children, cancer... not hard to imagine difficulties.  The M'silas Y'sharim notes that are two ways to deal with those situations.  The lower level (for just the run of the mill saintly person, I guess) is to tell oneself, "Everything that HaShem does is for the good and He loves me, so this must also be for the good.  Even though it hurts, I know it is good for me and so I'll thank HaShem for it, the same way I would thank a surgeon who had to operate to save my life.  The pain is due to the nature of the disease and its cure.  Baruch HaShem!"  (That's the lower level!?  Lord have mercy.)

What's the higher level?  The higher level is to look at any and every challenge as an opportunity to demonstrate in deed what he has been expressing in word.  He gets to "walk the talk", as it were.  He doesn't need to have faith that it will be good, he is excited that things are difficult!  Note that he does not say, "This feels good.", nor even "This is good for me."  That would defeat the purpose, after all.  This person looks forward to the difficulties because they are difficult.

Is it possible to imagine that level?  The first night of Sukkos I heard about a Jew who moved to Amercia in the late 30s.  Every week he started a new job on Sunday, and every Friday he was given a dismissal slip.  Week after week, month after month.  Each Friday afternoon, he would add this new dismissal slip to his collection.  Why was he saving them?  When Sukkos came that year, he built whatever kind of sukkah he could.  Then he decorated it -- with every single dismissal slip.  Each slip was to him an extra dimension of beauty added to his sukkah.

All year he must have been planning this.  He wasn't worried about losing his job each week; he was looking forward to getting another sukkah decoration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Thanking HaShem Each and Every Day for Solid Land Near Water

Each and every morning, a Jew is supposed to view himself as a new/renewed creation, ready for a new day of building his eternal self through Torah and mitzvos.  We begin the day with 16 brachos to praise/thank/acknowledge HaShem for giving us all the tools we need to succeed.  We have a body, soul, and intellect.  We have vision, mobility, and protection from the elements.  Among those brachos, we have one that perhaps seems a bit out of place: רוקע הארץ על המים/Who spreads out the land on/over the water.  After all, it's nice to have a dry place to walk, but does that compare to the gratitude I have for a working body and vision?  As it turns out, I should; as explained by the R' Rajchenbach, rosh kollel of Kollel Zichron Eliyahu (aka, Peterson Park Kollel).  Your best bet is to listen to the shiur; very distant second is to continue, which I hope will whet your appetite for the real thing.

First... since we have dry land, I don't have to slog to work through even a foot…

Thought for the Day: Using a Mitzvah Object for Non-Mitzvah Purposes

As I am -- Baruch HaShem -- getting older, I am more cognizant of the fact that I'd like to stay as healthy as possible right up the moment I leave this world.  Stuff hurting is not the problem (I am told there is an old Russian saying that once you are 40, if you wake up and nothing hurts -- you're dead), stuff not working, however, is a problem.  To that end, for several years now I commute to work by bicycle (weather permitting, 30 minutes on an elliptical machine when weather does not permit).  I recently took up some upper body weight training.  Not because I want to be governor of California, just simply to slow down loss of bone mass and extend my body's healthy span.  Simple hishtadlus.  I have an 18 month old grandson who is just the right weight for arm curls (yes... I am that weak), so I do about 10 reps when I greet him at night.  He laughs, I get my exercise; all good.  (Main problem is explaining to the older ones why zeidy can't give them the same "…

Thought for the Day: Hydroponically Grown Humans... I Feel Sick

I am quite openly not at all objective about abortion in particular and the treatment of human embryos and fetuses in general.  I am, after all, the survivor of a failed abortion attempt.  Not "thought about it, but couldn't go through with it"; not "made appointment, but then chickened out at the lost moment"; but, "tried a procedure, but was unsuccessful in attempt to abort".  Nonetheless, I try very hard to listen to the liberal arguments (which I also used to chant as part of the general liberal catechism), and am genuinely empathetic to the plight of women who find themselves in that difficult position.

What I heard on NPR this morning, however, has left me feeling physically ill.  You can read about it, if you like, but here's the bottom line:  Scientists in Cambridge have achieved a new record, they fertilized a human ova and then kept it alive in vitro (that is, in a test tube/petri dish in a laboratory) for 14 days.  The scientist involve…