Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: The Chasm Between Orthodox/Torah Judaism and Its Derivatives

Disclaimer: I am utterly and without reservation opposed to the idea of thinking there are "branches" of Judaism.  Nonetheless, I am also keenly aware that the surrounding culture does think of Reform/Conservative/Reconstructionist/FlavorOfTheWeek that way.  I was (again) made aware of that distressing fact when my boss asked me to explain the "Jewish" view regarding abortion.  I said I could give him the Orthodox view, which I did.  His response came in two parts; first to what I said, second to the implications for other branches.  To what I described his response was, "So every case has to be considered independently with all of its unique factors and a competent rabbinic authority consulted."  Yes and yes!  Precisely the message I wanted to convey.

Regarding the implications for other branches of Judaism, though, his response was most distressing.  "So the Jewish view is basically a spectrum from there."  Yikes!  No, I said; those other philosophies are not really any more Jewish that Christianity or ethical humanism.  He rolled his eyes; "So you are saying that if I went into their temple, I wouldn't find a torah scroll?"  I completely understood his reaction as an outsider looking at me, an ultra orthodox fanatic.  So I thought and thought about it.  I finally arrived at a way to present the case for what separates Orthodox Judaism from all other philosophies.  I even came up with a better word to describe them: derivatives of Orthodox Judaism.

First and foremost, Orthodox Judaism is defined by one overarching concept: the Torah -- both the written form and what it all meant -- was received by the Jewish nation at Mount Sinai with 100% clarity and without error.  More than that, the Torah is not a book of rules and stories; rather it is the blueprint of Creation.  Or, if you prefer, it is the genes and chromosomes of Reality.  That being the case, by definition there can be no situation that is not already addressed by the Torah.  Furthermore, those who originally received the Torah also understood and appreciated all of the principles by which reality operates -- and that knowledge had been accurately transmitted generation after generation down till today.

With that introduction, I can now state the differences clearly.  Anyone who identifies himself as an Orthodox Jew, when asked for an opinion on some topic, will answer, "I may have my own feelings about the matter, but at the end of the day I know that the HaShem's opinion (so to speak) -- as revealed by the Torah -- is the only one that really matters."  Those from one of the derivative religions will say, "The Torah is an important document that expresses real wisdom.  However, there are other documents that also express wisdom.  At the end of the day, I take some input from the Torah, some import from other sources, and then I form my own opinion."  I said that closer derivatives may give 90% weight to the Torah, while more distant derivatives may give only 10% weight to the Torah.

My boss (a somewhat observant Christian) was totally on board with this description.  He also now appreciated when I said that both Reform Judaism and Christianity are both derivatives of Orthodox Judaism.  Christianity, in fact, was basically the first derivative religion from Orthodox Judaism.  As I have noted many times, Christianity is in some ways a closer derivative than Reform Judaism, and in other ways more distant.

My final point was simply to note, without making a value judgment, that once a philosophy takes even the smallest stop away from looking at the Torah as the blueprint of Creation, then its distance from Orthodox Judaism is only going to increase over time.  Like the drop of water on the edge of a cloud.  No matter how close to the edge, it's still in the cloud.  Once it leaves -- no matter how close it is right now -- it is on it's way out.  It is no longer in the clouds, it is rain plummeting to earth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc